The Android Thread

pArth

18 minutes ago, adity said:

*Dubai*

Good for u then, not everyone has that option. Also I think one plus is one of the few Companies who keep the price consistent with international market. 

Though I must say I have already completed more then 1 year with s7 edge and I have absolutely no urge to upgrade, I guess I might be able to push this phone all the way till note 9 or maybe even s10. The only change it will probably require is a battery. 

On 17/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, AtheK said:

still better then a lot of other phones. though at this price point Nokia probably makes more sense. 

The camera on the NOKIA 8 is pretty bad from the software perspective. 

If you want something good for clicking images out of the box primarily the OnePlus 5 might be a better buy, for now. Monochrome shots and portrait mode on the NOKIA 8 though are pretty strong. 

Also, video recording is currently capped @30fps irrespective of resolution although the colour sensor has OiS, so unless the promised 'Lumia UI' does not make it to the device, I would avoid for recommending it for point and click shooters /selfie folks.

There are other issues thanks to being tied to Google's software eco-system too, like once you go below ~15% battery, the flash will not fire up. UI can be classified as utilitarian but boring and lifeless. Lack of flair et al.  

On 17/11/2017 at 9:19 AM, adity said:

It's indeed better but I'm guessing the next phone would be in the 40k range. And I would prefer Samsung if I'm paying that kind of money. 

Samsung is garbage from the UI perspective. They really need to stop using the font and design elements. 

At least, HMD Global said, you know what if we cannot come up with something better than stock droid, we are not going to slather Comic Sans everywhere. 

Also, hardware perspective, the NOKIA 8 is a very compelling 'flagship' both in build quality and internal hardware. 

Edited by ALPHA17

I really need to buy a phone fast of around 25k. I was hoping for a price drop of One Plus 5 or Pixel 1 to about 30k but that didn't happen. So, what are my choices apart from Xiaomi? That steel looking Moto phone for 20k wasn't convincing.

Also, I hate this trend of 6 inch phones. Why not make a bezelless 5.5 inch phone with 5 inch body so that it can easily be used with one hand.

54 minutes ago, dante77 said:

I really need to buy a phone fast of around 25k. I was hoping for a price drop of One Plus 5 or Pixel 1 to about 30k but that didn't happen. So, what are my choices apart from Xiaomi? That steel looking Moto phone for 20k wasn't convincing.

Why not the MOTO X4, apart from a sub-optimal camera setup, everything is great. 

OnePlus 5 should be available for cheaper rates with exchange offers although agreed that the device is not worth the money thanks to the drama surrounding it. 

The only Xioami device I can recommend in that price range is the Mi A1. 

1 minute ago, ayush12ice said:

Where can i buy the original charger for the Moto G5 plus? 

Lenovo stores with the MOTO Hub in them or better yet, contact their customer service. Cheers! 

Edited by ALPHA17
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, adity said:

Moto x4 is mid range. I'd say oneplus 3t or S7 or even mi5 would be better. 

Agreed but it is a brand new piece compared to all the other device and if you discount the camera and display on the S7, it pretty much matches it on all counts with a newer SoC. 

^ I really do not know if any company apart from LG really advertises the DAC as a feature. Most Android smartphones above the MOTO G series come with a half-decent system which gives a respectable audio performance. 

Camera and display will go to the S7, Super AMOLED and a high-end camera chip compared to the LCD panel and mediocre camera implementation on the MOTO X4. 

Benchmark scores for smartphones are rather pointless, case in point, Apple's iPhone SoC's outperform MacBook Air CPU's according to theoretical numbers but you would not be found doing productivity work on the former. 

• 5 months later...

Just downloaded and currently running the Android P Beta on my Pixel 2 XL. Buttery smooth so far. No issues what so ever.

Love the update. Some changes are very minor but ever so helpful. :good: Like, I began to think, that I didn't even notice that earlier and it's just more convenient now. Like the placement of the volume control and how it shows the Media volume by default.

Even aesthetically, the new animations, new style of the rounded edges of any pop-up menu, the new quick settings toggles, the time being displayed on the left of the status bar are very good. The animations, especially, are super-slick.

Only thing I found a little cumbersome is while at the home screen, the half swipe-up gesture to access the apps currently active, is a little too sensitive. I almost always (so far) swipe up in a way that it accesses the app drawer. Hope Google can just reduce the sensitivity of particularly that animation, in a future update.

Also, the whole 'swipe bar' at the bottom of the screen will certainly get those "Apple did it first", "Android just blatantly rips off iOS everytime", etc. comments. But, since I haven't used an iPhone X, I honestly can't compare. All I know is that I'm using Android P for an hour and I'm already completely used to it. Hardly any learning curve at all.

Also, THE. BEST. FEATURE:

(Almost) System-wide Product Sans. Hope Google fixes the 'almost' situation soon.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Android versions will be numbered from now on (super-duper booooooring). Android 10, is this year's version.

No more names of desserts. ? I am sad. ?

I guess Google just couldn't come up with a name suitable with the letter 'Q'.

???

Also, I like the change in font, but why in the world would they add that robot as a part of the logo itself. I don't like it at all. Just the word 'android' looks so cool on its own.

• 1 year later...

I accidentally deleted saved screenshots and pictures from a family phone, as there were two copies of the same pctures folder with same size of 6.01gb and same sub folders in it, i only deleted one but both got deleted , i used astro file manager, is there a way to recover them ?

2 minutes ago, AtheK said:

Just use a recovery software on PC it should be easy to recover. If you have an OPO they will be in the recyling bin.

its a moto g3 which is the best software, all i see on net are shady links or a $69 software