Ethernet Cable for XBOX 360 instead of vga cable

robbie

Ok guys, didn't find any suitable name for this thread but the story goes like this..

I'm having a xbox 360 and i want it to connect to the internet, to go live and play online. Now, the situation is like that i'm not having lcd tv in my room. but my pc and modem are in my room.

Therefor, to connect xbox to net, i have two option:

1) First is to buy an xbox wireless adapter and connect it with my modem. but the price of that damn adapter is so high for me, that it's out of question..

2) I can get an xbox vga cable and connect the xbox to my monitor.. by using this setup, i'll be able to use the net easily.. and the only sacrifice made will be that while i'm connected to live and playing games, i may not be able to use my pc. But that can be handle too, i can just swap the cables and my operating system will be there. Little bit of hassle but still manageable. But there is again a "BUT" here.. after searching on net and getting good price on dealextreme (it's just around 7-8$ there instead of high ebay rates), i cam to know about the ghosting effect which is unavoidable and depends on your luck whether your received cable will be goog or not..

Chances are high that cable may give you ghosting sometime and then there are limitations to the vga output. it can't give you full hd.

So, after an hour of mind-boggling, i finally got an idea..

Why don't just go and buy an Ethernet cable?? but the length of Ethernet cable will affect the speed and bandwidth of the connection?? Isn't it? NO, Simply No.. as long as the cable's length is under 10metres.. 10Metres equals 32feets.. which i found enough to cover my room and then to the other room and cuddle with my x360..

Now, i haven't connected it yet. I'm yet to buy a cable. will post here how it went..

Moral of the long story: There are several others with same situation so they may get a clue..

thanx.. and if any one has any experience with this setup, plz post it here.. cheers..

AFAIK, CAT 6 Ethernet cable has no data loss till 100 meters .. CAT 5 has data loss over 20 meters.. So I would advise you to look for CAT 6 Ethernet cables which might help you out in your problem.. :lol:

Edit: CAT 6 costs ~ 13-15 bucks per meter..

AFAIK, CAT 6 Ethernet cable has no data loss till 100 meters .. CAT 5 has data loss over 20 meters.. So I would advise you to look for CAT 6 Ethernet cables which might help you out in your problem.. :lol:

i read it on net that cat5e don't have any loss for 100metres.. and cat6 cable is expensive..

i read it on net that cat5e don't have any loss for 100metres.. and cat6 cable is expensive..

Just checked Ebay.. CAT 6 going for ~ 20-25 bucks per meter.. Still not a bad option I think.. Go to your local shop and try there.. Might turn out cheaper.. I recently got 50 meters of CAT 6 @ 16 bucks a meter.. :doh:

Edit: Just rechecked.. Seems it's costlier on Ebay if you buy a short length cable.. Price is almost double.. :lol: .. Local shops would be a good idea..!!

Just checked Ebay.. CAT 6 going for ~ 20-25 bucks per meter.. Still not a bad option I think.. Go to your local shop and try there.. Might turn out cheaper.. I recently got 50 meters of CAT 6 @ 16 bucks a meter.. :doh:

Edit: Just rechecked.. Seems it's costlier on Ebay if you buy a short length cable.. Price is almost double.. :lol: .. Local shops would be a good idea..!!

ok, will it work with mtnl broadband and xbox..?

actually mtnl uses cat5e cables, normally and xbox gets its limitations at cat5e, i mean using any cable more than the level of cat5e will not enhance for the console and i think the same goes for the mtnl broadband(present) in our country too..

cat6 cable is useful if working with gigabit connection or t1 connection which is not in my home and atleast in majority of indian homes.. :lol:

Archived