Shogun 2: Total War

Cyborg

Its based on the Sengoku Jidai (warring states period) in Japan, so the factions will comprise of the various clans that existed during that tine - Oda, Uesugi, Takeda, Imagawa etc. At best they will add some Korean/mongol units like the first Shogun, but there won't be any other factions int it.

And demo releasing on steam, feb 22nd. You could try it and see if it runs on your pc/laptop. If Empire ran on it then it most likely will, most of the graphics upgrades are for the DX11 mode.

:O @ that screenie....noctis you got a 8800GT too right?... tell me how it runs...

Played the demo for a few hours. Was a bit surprised it ran at 1080p with everything set to high on my 8800GT. The demo is a slightly outdated build with no AA, DX11 or the very high settings, but it already looks damn good and I guess I can hold the upgrade for now.

And the gameplay mechanism, particularly the strategic maps and siege battles have received a huge overhaul. It would take too much time to explain all the changes here, but I could say that they have pretty much captured the essence of the sengoku jidai. For eg. since the war is taking place in a single country, every province doesn't have all the essential resources like good horses, stones etc. This makes holding key strategic position more important than simply expanding into a large empire. And unlike the previous games, wars won't be limited to certain frontiers. With dozens of clans and waterways packed into the map, battles can take place almost anywhere at any turn.

Still testing out various features available in the demo, but so far Im very impressed by the changes.

• 3 weeks later...

The demo was pretty great, enough to get me to preorder it even. Reviews came out yesterday and they're all pretty glowing.

Eurogamer - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-11-total-war-shogun-2-review

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/wot-i-think-total-war-shogun-2/

PC Gamer UK - http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/11/total-war-shogun-2-review-224/

I can't wait to get my hands on this game and the MP stuff sounds fantastic too.

yea i've been reading reviews and it does sound fantastic. i love the total war series but i can't decide whether to pick this one up or not... mostly because i don't really like the shogun setting of medieval japan. doesn't really make sense to me. also, i bought napoleon last year and didn't even play it once. seems pointless to invest in another one then. i guess i'll pick it up in a year for 7.5$.

yea i've been reading reviews and it does sound fantastic. i love the total war series but i can't decide whether to pick this one up or not... mostly because i don't really like the shogun setting of medieval japan. doesn't really make sense to me. also, i bought napoleon last year and didn't even play it once. seems pointless to invest in another one then. i guess i'll pick it up in a year for 7.5$.

Did you try the demo? I'm not a big fan of Japanese history (vs just about any other era I can think of) but the setting really comes together well in terms of presentation, graphics and gameplay. I'd really suggest checking the demo out, because they've really improved on everything I wanted (since ETW) from naval battles to multiplayer stuff.

don't feel like trying a 6gb demo. besides, the fact is that there really are too many games coming out right now and i wouldn't give this one any time anyway. it will be on sale on steam for less than what it costs here in a few months anyway, might get it then.

lol the game still has no support for AA and you can't increase the shader model any further than SM3.

I have decided to stop playing it for now and wait till they patch it, I'm instead playing Empires Total war.

EG review - 9/10

The game is currently at 90 meta score after 23 reviews, looks like the critical reception is pretty good.

don't feel like trying a 6gb demo. besides, the fact is that there really are too many games coming out right now and i wouldn't give this one any time anyway. it will be on sale on steam for less than what it costs here in a few months anyway, might get it then.

Doubt that. Total War is one the biggest franchise in the genre and to be cheaper than retail here it has to be around $15 or less, which is not going to happen in a few months.

Anyway, TW formula is more suited to medieval and early ages. Its something most fans have been demanding since ETW.

lol the game still has no support for AA and you can't increase the shader model any further than SM3.

I have decided to stop playing it for now and wait till they patch it, I'm instead playing Empires Total war.

DX 10/11 and AA are coming soon in a patch, but the game looks fantastic even without if you have a high enough resolution. In the demo, while the jaggies were noticeable they were lot better than some other games I can think of.

are you planning on being dead before early april? :scratchchin:

These delays are just getting to me. I expected to have my hands on this game around the EU release lol. This game's release is as big an event to me as Killzone 3/GT 5 release is to the rest of IVG.

Thats just how E-xpress works. They took 1-2 months to bring RoF and VC2 here and I guess this isn't going to be much better. Though I appreciate the fact that they are releasing niche titles here, wish they could fix their huge delays a litttle.

Archived