[Advice] Gaming Laptop

robbie

i don't have any probs in importing it but the thing is that i don't have anyone in the us and if i ask kmd, it'll be inr 70 per dollar.. so it'll become very costly..

any kinda help in importing the lappy.. i'll greatly appreciate that.. :angry:

i can go for aspire but it doesn't look cool, looks kinda cheap as acer in india is not considered a very good brand so i'm thinking about the HP dv6 3043, it has got the same config as that of the acer 5740g but it's around 56k.. :samui:

About KMD, the quote he gives is not a direct conversion of the dollar to rupee value...

For example I asked him for a quote of GX740 which came to $1416 (price which includes shipping to New York). For this KMD gave a quote of 80900. It doesnt mean he is using an exchange rate of 57 rupees for a dollar or so.

This price he has provided is for shipping from New York to India + Custom Charges. And custom charges are 10% for the overall price of the laptop which in itself comes to say 7500-8000. Shipping to India would cost anywhere between 5000-8000. He will definitely have some share of his own in this deal. Hence the final quote.

The final quote will be all inclusive (including local shipping within US, shipping costs from US to India, customs duty and local taxes).

This is how the calculation is carried out by KMD. Frankly speaking if you want to get anything of high value from the US, KMD is a viable option. The guy has been doing this for a long time now.

But yes if you have someone coming down from the US then that'd be the best thing to happen... :P Also IMO, buying a laptop from India would be a dumb thing to do. The prices are insane and 80% of the good models never release here. :P

^^ yeah, rightly said, right now i'm looking for my options which can come under my budget.. will fire a pm to kmd then..

Personal advice... Since you are looking for a gaming laptop. Try the ACERs which have the GFX card ATi 5650... 5650 is an amazing gfx card for the cash you are paying. Not to the level of 5870 or 5850 but not very far behind.

This is the cheapest i found among the lot and definitely within your budget. If budget is your concern i say go for this. :chair:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834115796

See the gfx card review and benchmarks...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-...50.23697.0.html

The above site is an amazing place to check if the games you intend to run will infact run on the laptop you are gonna buy.

You could get a custom configured ASUS laptop from the US. That's what I did long ago. They have global warranty for two years too. They have some pretty good configs at an affordable price. Check out gentechpc.com . That's the guy I bought it from - he's an authorised reseller for ASUS and delivery was A+. An ASUS N50VN-C1S. Back then around Rs 60-65k. Preordered before release date actually.

And why did you go trolling through the forums.. :chair:

@schneider, bro, if the card is 5650, then acer 5740g has the i5 and the same card and easily available in india so if i import that the price will eventually be higher..

@gaurav, checking that site right now.. and how did you buy it, by directly importing it from the site paying customs and shiping or any other way..

and what about trolling, didn't get it.. :P

@schneider, bro, if the card is 5650, then acer 5740g has the i5 and the same card and easily available in india so if i import that the price will eventually be higher..

@gaurav, checking that site right now.. and how did you buy it, by directly importing it from the site paying customs and shiping or any other way..

and what about trolling, didn't get it.. :cheers:

The Acer laptop is perfectly fine and is better than anything you will get for that price unless you have someone coming down from the US. Don't know much about overheating issues though.

and what about trolling, didn't get it.. :(

You went "trawling" through forums. "Trolling" through forums is what you do by posting irrelevant stuff on threads.

From gentechpc? I had to buy it and send it to a cousin in the states and he brought it over for me to India.

But ASUS does have International warranty on all its laptops. 2 years.

i could be wrong - but know that it'll be pretty heavy... it'll be more of a desktop replacement than a laptop . ( again i could be wrong - i checked out the alienware stuff and they're like tanks )

Alienwares are freakishly heavy... Tried lifting them And must say they were very heavy. These MSIs and Asus' gaming lappys are 3-4 kilos. Pretty manageable. :fear:

and what about trolling, didn't get it.. :)

Oh yes. Thats a good buy then... :fear: But when i went searching for a 5740G in ebay all i came across were the ones with 5470 gfx card not with a 5650 gfx card. :nono:

^^ yup i saw them yesterday and they had a good configuration.. prices are same as the hp one.. and it's a sony, btw..

schneider, dude, look at the sony e-series.. minimal price difference and we get a sony vaio.. though yet to check about there battery backup and overheating issues..

^^ yup i saw them yesterday and they had a good configuration.. prices are same as the hp one.. and it's a sony, btw..

schneider, dude, look at the sony e-series.. minimal price difference and we get a sony vaio.. though yet to check about there battery backup and overheating issues..

Checked the sony e series. Looks awesome... But i have heard there are these 2 concerns with these lappys. The ati driver problems for the sony laptops and battery backup of 1.5 hrs. Very less if you ask me.

Other problems apparently are that

- playing games in FULL HD can negatively impact the FPS or something on those lines.

- And the gfx card in this sony e series is underclocked apparently.

All this i read in the techenclave forum's laptop thread. ;)

Checked the sony e series. Looks awesome... But i have heard there are these 2 concerns with these lappys. The ati driver problems for the sony laptops and battery backup of 1.5 hrs. Very less if you ask me.

Other problems apparently are that

- playing games in FULL HD can negatively impact the FPS or something on those lines.

- And the gfx card in this sony e series is underclocked apparently.

All this i read in the techenclave forum's laptop thread. :suicide:

Yup even i read on some international site that the 5650 in acer outperforms the one in sony E series.

I finally found a laptop which suits my gaming needs... Frankly speaking i wasnt very happy with the gfx card the laptop manufacturers in India were providing. All this changed when a friend of mine who works in Dell told me about a Studio XPS 16 configuration.

Core i7 720QM

8GB Ram

ATi 5730 1GB DDR3.

15.6 inch screen

500 GB Sata HDD

9 cell battery

3 year complete cover :rofl: If you are buying dell products you need to buy this complete cover package. :doh:

:P

Dont ask me the cost as i have upgraded the crap out of it... :rofl:

PS: Thanks for the help guys... psdude, abhi, gaurav, infinity, hackboy :rofl:

Wow, I somehow dont get the concept of buying such massive laptops. Though great stuff if u ain carryin it around much! :P

Whats the rated battery life on these?

Na re. I agree with your views that desktops should be used for gaming and laptops should be light for carrying them around. But i am going abroad for a year to pursue MBA and i needed something to keep me occupied there. Thats the reason in buying this lappy. :rofl:

Rated battery life ka idea nahi hai filhaal. Dell says its around 4-5 hours of normal usage. Again not sure since its a core i7... :rofl:

Archived