Inception discussion thread

achilles

so..the ending..real or dream?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When they come out of their dreams, won't they remember each others faces? Like Saito remembered Cobbs face and so on?

Saito already knew that Cobb was going to infiltrate his dream. Remember, the whole thing was an audition, wasn't it? He probably knew what Cobb looked like even before he started dreaming.

Btw, I think that he's still dreaming in the end. I didn't see any sign of the totem about to topple.

just returned after watching Inception.... couldn't get it out of my head... and the ending was just perfect......... real for me.

why do some of you guys are even thinking that the end shows it all as a dream :blink: ??? i think it was pretty clear?? and in the end even the totem was beginning to fall :tongue:

here's the explanation

in the fourth level or cobbs limbo, cobbs finds saito and both die and wake up in the plane they were travelling? if it were to be a cobbs original dream(if the totem keeps spinning) then he should have wake up in that very own dream bypassing waking up in the plane in which they were travelling. ( just like cobbs bypassed level 3 and level 2 to wake up in the plane)

For me, Cobb stayed in limbo to create his own reality.

This is the kind of movie where you have to take your own ending. Whatever works for you. I don't think there's any point in convincing others.

That's the way Nolan meant it to be. Just like Memento, in a way.

Can anyone explain the concept of the Totem. I understand that for Cobb, if the top kept spinning it meant he was in a dream. The audio had cut out in the theatre when Arthur was explaining about the totem. Why does it not fall when Cobb is dreaming? Also why aren't you supposed to show your totem to others (Ariadne didn't show hers to Cobb)?

Answers please!

Totem-a device to know that you are still in your dream.Each dreamer has a specific object with a specific trait that manifests itself in a dream and not in reality.For example the endlesslly spinning top(which belongs to Mal btw)

It doesn't fall 'cause it's his dream and he chooses it not to :D

Also the totem wouldn't serve it's purpose if someone else knew what the trait was.

Btw, I think that he's still dreaming in the end. I didn't see any sign of the totem about to topple.

Then yu definitely failed to notice the hitch in the totem's spinning (as if it was about to get toppled), before the movie was ended abruptly... It was very clear that toppling effect!!

It could be anything... The story makes sense in both ways... Its just that it makes more sense to me by believing that Cobb and others returned back to the real world.. If i believe that totem kept spinning, then there are way too much unanswered questions!!

BTW if you are interested in similar movies try:Primer.

Not really a similar movie but Primer is even more of a mindf**k than Inception.

I have a theory that Totems don't really work in your own dreams. When you are in another person's dreams, the physics may go weird, as Ellen Page demonstrates by folding the city. Now, if you check if the Totem behaves weirdly than it is supposed to then it is clear that it is not your own dream.

On the other hand, the Totem would behave like a weighted object in real life you will end up thinking that you are not exactly in a dream, just like the ending where the top clearly topples before the cut to black.

Now Cobb asks Ariadne, in the cafe, how they ended up in that place. The fact that Nolan himself never shows how various characters end up in different places may point that he is in a dream. So, by jumping, Mal may have escaped that dream.

Edit: I have absolutely no idea what I just posted.

here's the explanation

if it were to be a cobbs original dream(if the totem keeps spinning) then he should have wake up in that very own dream bypassing waking up in the plane in which they were travelling. ( just like cobbs bypassed level 3 and level 2 to wake up in the plane)

Thats because 1st, 2nd and 3rd dreams were already over as the dreamers(yusuf,arthur,earnes) were well awake... So Cobb had to bypass all those levels without any choice...

The point that works for me is that Saito put a bullet into Cobb and himself, so Cobb either should have died or stopped dreaming..

The only reason for totem to keep spinning in the end (which makes sense), would be that it was all happening in the dream of Cobb Sr.

There is no other dream that Cobb can live after a bullet has been put through him...

Not really a similar movie but Primer is even more of a mindf**k than Inception.

Yup not similar but Primer was cruel man.There was one huge friggin' chart that finally helped me out.

I have a theory that Totems don't really work in your own dreams. When you are in another person's dreams, the physics may go weird, as Ellen Page demonstrates by folding the city. Now, if you check if the Totem behaves weirdly than it is supposed to then it is clear that it is not your own dream.

On the other hand, the Totem would behave like a weighted object in real life you will end up thinking that you are not exactly in a dream, just like the ending where the top clearly topples before the cut to black.

That was ariadne's dream filled with Dom's sub consciousness.I don't get the highlighted part.

Now Cobb asks Ariadne, in the cafe, how they ended up in that place. The fact that Nolan himself never shows how various characters end up in different places may point that he is in a dream. So, by jumping, Mal may have escaped that dream.

Interesting theory but that contradicts the theory that dying in limbo returns the dreamer to reality.

Edit: I have absolutely no idea what I just posted.

I swear to god dude i was gonna write exactly the same thing if i didnt see yur EDIT after a refresh!! :P

Your totem theory fails in the aspect that these professional "dreamers" could have easily figured out that flaw and wouldn't have continued to implement it...

And, Nolan couldn't show how various characters end up in different places because he can't.. No one can!!

Its a f**ckin rule of a dream that yu can never know and remember how yu got where yu were in yur dream... Try to think when yu get the morning after an awesome dream, that how did ended up there...

Where did Dom Sr. come from? :ko:

Remember he is the one who taught Dom Cobb everything??!!

And this point was brought to my attention by someone on the previous page! I cant believe i never really thought that was an option too... :P

Are you referring to Michael Caine?That was his father in law.

He was his father in law???? :O

f**k, when was that said in the movie??

Edit: then replace "Cobb Sr." with "father in law" in my upper post!! :P

Archived