The Graphic Novels / Comic Books Thread

MarketTantrik

This was a nice read.

Was slightly skeptical of this book initially, fearing that the art might not translate all that well into B&W, but it turned out pretty great.

Loved the high quality matte paper which added to the whole experience. Was running my hands all over the pages while I was reading :lol:

The book in these pics, which are a couple weeks old, is damaged at the top right. I've since gotten a replacement from Amazon, and I don't intend to remove its shrink wrap anytime soon :P

pw702Pv.jpg

4ctZsNO.jpg

lCLnLSf.jpg

CJ1ZMC2.jpg

2h008Dz.jpg

Edited by STICK3Rboy
  • Like 3

^Court of owls and whole Greg Capullo art in Scott Snyder's new 52 Batman run has some of the best coloring in art work. The black and white art doesn't do justice to it at all. If they release zero year volume in noir or unwrapped versions then it would be a travesty.

Edit: They have long halloween in noir too wtf. That book has some of the best solid colors. I just loved that art. The solid background single tone colors looked so good. The night scenes especially.

Edited by Big Boss

1 hour ago, Big Boss said:

^Court of owls and whole Greg Capullo art in Scott Snyder's new 52 Batman run has some of the best coloring in art work. The black and white art doesn't do justice to it at all. If they release zero year volume in noir or unwrapped versions then it would be a travesty.

Edit: They have long halloween in noir too wtf. That book has some of the best solid colors. I just loved that art. The solid background single tone colors looked so good. The night scenes especially.

Yeah, it isn't meant to be a replacement of the coloured version which will always be superior.

But this book has its own merit because of the really high quality matte paper and the oversized pages. The look and feel of B&W on it made for a great reading experience.

This actually made me start eyeing the Sin City Deluxe Editions which apparently have really good matte paper too (and of course artwork that was conceived for B&W).

They're expensive as all hell though.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

2 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Yeah, it isn't meant to be a replacement of the coloured version which will always be superior.

But this book has its own merit because of the really high quality matte paper and the oversized pages. The look and feel of B&W on it made for a great reading experience.

This actually made me start eyeing the Sin City Deluxe Editions which apparently have really good matte paper too (and of course artwork that was conceived for B&W).

They're expensive as all hell though.

I have the omnibus of Snyder's run, excellent oversized pages and great quantity. DC have great quality pages in omnibus, though binding can be in YMMV category. Personally all Omnibuses I have from DC have great pages and binding holding up nicely. Marvel have started using thin paper from late 2021. So they take less shelf space but don't feel as premium when reading.

5 hours ago, Big Boss said:

I have the omnibus of Snyder's run, excellent oversized pages and great quantity. DC have great quality pages in omnibus, though binding can be in YMMV category. Personally all Omnibuses I have from DC have great pages and binding holding up nicely. Marvel have started using thin paper from late 2021. So they take less shelf space but don't feel as premium when reading.

I don't doubt the quality of the omnibus, but I was speaking specifically about the combo of 'thick matte + B&W'. I fell in love with it, and I think it merits the existence of the Noir line of books (assuming they all have similar quality).

Also, I only have The Vision from Marvel (which I think I bought back in 2020), and the paper quality on that is embarrassing. Didn't know it extended to their other books as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DinJo said:

@Bird Bird Bird how is once and future especially from indian point of view as I'm not versed with brit stories and culture 

You need to know the lores to enjoy it fully tbh. It still is a decent fantasy comic. 

17 hours ago, DinJo said:

Hellboy are really beautiful but very expensive to get all of them 

Yup. It's gonna take me a while to complete the set.

I had bought the first volume 4 years ago :lol:

The books are worth it though with their cloth-covered binding and oversized, high-quality pages.

Mignola's artwork and large panels shine in this format. 

Edited by STICK3Rboy

Yes the cloth cover is amazing to see in books. But i can say this out and loud there is no match for paper quality for Rick Remenders deluxe edition it looked like a cardboard. Black hammer is no match which is from dark horse 

4 hours ago, DinJo said:

Yes the cloth cover is amazing to see in books. But i can say this out and loud there is no match for paper quality for Rick Remenders deluxe edition it looked like a cardboard. Black hammer is no match which is from dark horse 

Do you mean Deadly Class?

I have it on my wishlist. It does indeed look glorious, but I didn't know the paper quality was that good.

Will keep an eye on it for one of my next few purchases.

Also, for how much and from where did you get it?