Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

Watched The Lion King a couple of days ago. Aaand it's just a hollow husk of the original!

8asA0rZ.gif

Seriously though. The animals really are expressionless and it just sucks the soul out of the movie. There is such a mismatch between the voice-acting (which seems good) and the visuals on-screen that it actually becomes cringey in some scenes. The aftermath of the stampede scene comes to mind.

I'm sure this was a conscious directorial choice and not a technological limitation either. Just makes me wonder what Favreau was smoking while making this movie.

Some of the story beats and the magnificent soundtrack still hold up though. So first time viewers will still probably enjoy it. I say this because there was a mini standing ovation in my theater once the movie ended. I couldn't f**king believe it! :mellow:

Because movie was developed in the 90s with actors Harrison Ford, Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson considered to star in it. Went through development hell for last 20 years and now has Will Smith and CGI. 

Reviews out for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Rotten Tomatoes: 89%

Average Rating: 7.99/10

• The maverick director uses this tale of California dreams, both developing and dashed, to pay homage to the Hollywood of yore, play around with fact and fiction and rewrite history the way he sees fit.
  • You might say Tarantino's oeuvre is a box of chocolates: Some of them are more bitter and unpleasant than others, but they're all still chocolate. Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood might be the tastiest one in the box.
  • "Once Upon a Time" strikes a chord that is distinctly elegiac and unexpectedly emotional, especially coming from him.
  • Tarantino may have set the finish line at 10, but after watching "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," it's impossible to believe he only has one more good movie in him.
  • Tarantino's brand of classical moviemaking is a thrill to behold.
  • "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood" is Tarantino showing off what he can do, and his film practically grabs audiences by the lapels, insisting that they have a good time.
Edited by Heaven Angel

9 minutes ago, Playstationdude said:

Lol I'm not talking about the CGI Smith.

The actual one looks pretty darn young too. Only the greying beard is a giveaway.

Still CGI. 

Old article but still relevant: https://mashable.com/2014/12/01/hollywood-secret-beauty-procedure/

22 hours ago, dante77 said:

This looks excellent. Giving me The Prisoners vibe. Love mystery solving movies with twists and turns.

JFC Alexandra Daddario is so goddamn pretty it is actually distracting watching her on the screen. 

• Like 1

Joaquin Phoenix says fans will be upset with the team of his upcoming film Joker for not following the character arc of the supervillain established in the original DC comics.

“We didn’t follow anything from the comic books, which people are gonna be mad about. We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from.

“That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man,” the actor told Empire magazine.