Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

Anyone who wants to feel better about life, go watch SAAHO. The idiot producers and director just blew 350 crore rupees ramming cars and breaking buildings. The film actually succeeded in being worse than my super low expectations. 

Why are most Telugu films so cliched and horrible? How do the fans and audience accept such BS?

Edited by kmkaks

13 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

Terminator Dark Fate Trailer

Perfect timing I caught this just after watching the Cyberpunk reveal, feels like the same universe.

Linda Hamilton is BAD a*s!!! She overshadows everyone else, even Old man T800.

Edited by Joe Cool

Wow. IGN 10/10.

Starring a captivating Joaquin Phoenix, The Clown Prince of Crime gets a standalone film for the ages with Joker. :wOOtjumpy:

RT Average Rating: 9.15/10

• Having brazenly plundered the films of Scorsese, Phillips fashions stolen ingredients into something new, so that what began as a gleeful cosplay session turns progressively more dangerous - and somehow more relevant, too.
  • Phoenix has plumbed depths so deep and given such a complex, brutal and physically transformative performance, it would be no surprise to see him take home a statuette or two come award season.
  • "Joker" is a dark, brooding and psychologically plausible origin story, a vision of cartoon sociopathy made flesh.
  • Bold, devastating and utterly beautiful, Todd Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix have not just reimagined one of the most iconic villains in cinema history, but reimagined the comic book movie itself.
  • Joaquin Phoenix's fully committed performance and Todd Phillips' masterful albeit loose reinvention of the DC source material make Joker a film that should leave comic book fans and non-fans alike disturbed and moved in all the right ways.
  • Superhero blockbuster this is not: a playful fireman's-pole-based homage to the old Batman television series is one of a very few lighthearted moments in an otherwise oppressively downbeat and reality-grounded urban thriller...
  • A dazzlingly disturbed psycho morality play, one that speaks to the age of incels and mass shooters and no-hope politics, of the kind of hate that emerges from crushed dreams.
  • Joker is wild, crazy, and intense, and I was left speechless by the end of the film. Joaquin Phoenix delivers a spine-chilling performance. Todd Phillips has done to the Joker what Nolan has done to Batman with an origin story that feels very real.
  • Not to discredit the imaginative vision of the writer-director, his co-scripter and invaluable tech and design teams, but Phoenix is the prime force that makes Joker such a distinctively edgy entry in the Hollywood comics industrial complex.
  • You'll definitely feel like you'll need a shower after seeing it, but once you've dried off and changed clothes, you'll want to do nothing else but parse and dissect it.

Edited by Heaven Angel

On 8/31/2019 at 1:34 AM, kmkaks said:

Anyone who wants to feel better about life, go watch SAAHO. The idiot producers and director just blew 350 crore rupees ramming cars and breaking buildings. The film actually succeeded in being worse than my super low expectations. 

Why are most Telugu films so cliched and horrible? How do the fans and audience accept such BS?

Even though you had super low expectations the fact that you bought tickets and went to the movie, is what the producers were hoping for. To bring in people. 

5 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

First reactions for Joker are in. I know these reactions tend to exaggerate things, but I feel like we've got the real deal here.

Looks like reviews will be out soon too.

Jesus f**king christ. Cringy sh*t like this is why no one trusts previews from anyone. 

I know there is a really good chance this movie will be fantastic. But come the f**k on man. I am actually surprised he didnt call it the Citizen Kane of comic book movies. O.o

Edited by Aftrunner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, HEMAN said:

Even though you had super low expectations the fact that you bought tickets and went to the movie, is what the producers were hoping for. To bring in people. 

I was forced by circumstances, I.e Bahubali fan cousin sisters?.

Saw Eerie on Netflix. Good watch.

Considering the hype it got like people not able to sleep and all. It wasn't that scary tbh. Shot excellently though. Ending was a little weird as well. Could have been much better. The matchstick scene was superb.

IT Chapter Two reviews out

Rotten Tomatoes: 78%

Average Rating: 6.8/10

Metacritic: 60

• When it comes down to it, It Chapter Two just isn't all that scary. 35s3RKO.png
  • Really, the main problem with Chapter Two is that it goes on, and on, for so very long.
  • It Chapter Two isn't better than Chapter One. It's certainly not scarier. Here's the thing, though: when it counts, it's every bit as thrilling.
  • It is just so pointlessly long: approaching three hours, with our heroes finally beginning to assume a glassy-eyed solemnity like Hogwarts graduates or the Fellowship of the Ring.
  • IT Chapter Two isn't as refined as the first, but it's still an excellent ensemble piece, oozing with heart and packed with extremely well-crafted set pieces. Muschietti weaves the young and adult Losers together well, giving the sequel an epic feel.
  • Although marred by pacing issues and some shoddy CGI, It Chapter Two still has enough creepy set-pieces and solid performances to bring the saga to an effective, albeit formulaic, con.
  • An elaborate fun-house horror movie that springs pop-up gimmicks and boogie-boogie scares steadily enough to excuse its been-there story and self-important 169-minute running time.
  • It is glorious to see this stuff envisioned on such a huge and self-assured scale, a joy to have a film of this size trading in this sort of genre carnage with such uncompromising and unapologetic style.
  • Andy Muschietti did a great job of not only staying faithful to the source material, but also adding fresh spins and ideas to this adaptation of a Stephen King classic. If you're a fan of the first movie (like me), you'll love this sequel.
  • For all of Muschietti’s visual flourishes and with the greatly talented Bill Skarsgard again delivering a madcap, disturbingly effective, all-in performance as the dreaded Pennywise, It: Chapter Two had a relatively muted impact on me.
  • It Chapter Two is about redemption and the Losers coming together again to learn how strong they all are together. And the actors make it work. But the biggest problem is IT, because IT can be everything and IT can be nothing. IT has no real rules or motivations, or rhyme or reason, for literally anything he does.
  • Hader rises above the rest. If you've seen "Barry," his HBO series, you know he has no problem blending comedy and drama. In this case, he adds horror to the mix, and he's just as good at that, too.

17 hours ago, Joe Cool said:
  • When it comes down to it, It Chapter Two just isn't all that scary. 35s3RKO.png

Neither was the first one though and it was still fun.

But yeah, judging from the reviews it looks like the sequel's intimidating 2hr50min run-time doesn't feel justified. Still gonna check it out this weekend. Let's see.

----------------------------

Looks absolutely gorgeous!

Watched IT: Chapter 2.

Thought it was a very flawed movie. The screenplay especially isn't very good. The pacing is wonky and even with an almost 3hr run-time, it felt like some stuff wasn't explored as much as it should have while some other stuff was abruptly cut short for time.

Which is why I feel this would've worked much much better as a series (something along the lines of Haunting of Hill House).

That said though, I still quite liked it, warts and all. There are some great moments in the movie and I guess the quality of the source material still manages to shine through at times.

All the actors were good too and it's actually quite uncanny how closely most of them resemble their child counterparts.

The movie definitely feels like a 3hr movie though, especially towards the end.

• Like 1