Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

5 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

Finally saw Joker. Not worth the hype at all

A solid 8.6/10 movie at least and anyday better than every (or whatever few I have watched) recent overhyped marvel movie full of frustrating jokes and entry scenes.

Edited by GunnerY2J

So I bit the bay and watched 6 Underground, and it wasn’t bad at all. Fun, sexy, idiotic, with good music, and really quite insane. 
The opening chase sequence is atleast a two time watch. Just wish Netflix wouldn’t butcher the audio compression so badly. 

The Lighthouse is fantastic!

The movie is symbolism-heavy and I'll admit I didn't quite get all of it. But I was thoroughly fascinated by the weirdness of the whole thing and its absolutely pitch-perfect aesthetic.

I mean the movie looks incredibly good! The black and white cinematography and the 4:3 aspect ratio really add a lot to the atmosphere while also providing some great eye candy.

And of course, both Dafoe and Pattinson are f**king magnetic in their roles!

The one thing I'm not really a fan of though is the ending shot. I kinda got what it was meant to be (thanks to having played god of war 2 of all things) but it still felt jarring to me.

Saw Star Wars ROS. 

Its not awful. It is also kinda weird. They had a decade to plan out a story and yet the movie feels like its improvising most of the time. So many "did they mean to do that? and if they did, why was no ground work laid in the last 3 movies for this?". As a consequence the movie has all these big ticket moments that it thinks are super emotional (characters tear up, music swells up etc etc) and none of them feel earned. Aside from Ben and Rey the rest of the cast have absolutely no chemistry together. Which makes it awkward cause the characters keeps telling you every 5 minutes how much they mean to each other. Like, bro you spent like 5 minutes with him/her, chill dude, you arent soul mates. 

On the positive side, Adam driver is absolutely phenomenal with whatever lines he is given. They can act the hell out of any scene. Rey is still super likeable so you end up rooting for her anyway. The movie looks phenomenal. And that is about it.

Unlike the second Lucas trilogy, there is nothing offensive about it. But there isnt much to remember either. It ends with a whimper instead of a bang. 

Anyway, I hope that they are now done with the Skywalkers. I want more Solo/Rogue one stories. They are so much better. 

Top 10 movies you watched this decade (not necessarily of this decade) ?

I rate more on the basis of re-watch value. 

Mine

1. Shawshank Redemption - This movies gets better everytime you watch it after being perfect even the first time, you get more out of the entire movie after watching how it all ends,

every scene is worth re watching and every dialogue is worth listening to and always very calming and satisfying in the end.

2. The damned United - The best dramatic biopic made on a man and more importantly the greatest football manager England never had : the movie will make you believe that !

3. Dear Zindagi - Every person needs to watch this movie.

4. 300 - This was one of the first movies I watched again and again after watching the first time in 2009 (only exception), you can't help be pumped throughout the movie and the ending was beautiful.

5. Marshall, Zindagi na milegi dobara, Pele, Bahubali (1), Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and Pink.

Worst of the decade I completely watched :

1.Sanju  

2. Transformers (2 or 3)

3.Student of the year

4. Immortals

5. The Expendables, Iron man 3 (I liked the first), fast 7 and 8 (they were great till 4 and 5 and unwatchable since)

Edited by GunnerY2J

I feel like making a list of top 10 movies released this decade makes more sense. But I guess people are free to make their lists any way they like.

Anyway, so many awesome movies have come out this decade that it will be quite tough to narrow them down to 10. 

Will give it a try though. Will be fun looking back at a decade's worth of movies.

1 hour ago, STICK3Rboy said:

I feel like making a list of top 10 movies released this decade makes more sense. But I guess people are free to make their lists any way they like.

It's not an all time list, just the ones I watched this decade.

But yes, excluding Shawshank and 300 would make it right.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:34 AM, STICK3Rboy said:

The Lighthouse is fantastic!

The movie is symbolism-heavy and I'll admit I didn't quite get all of it. But I was thoroughly fascinated by the weirdness of the whole thing and its absolutely pitch-perfect aesthetic.

I mean the movie looks incredibly good! The black and white cinematography and the 4:3 aspect ratio really add a lot to the atmosphere while also providing some great eye candy.

And of course, both Dafoe and Pattinson are f**king magnetic in their roles!

The one thing I'm not really a fan of though is the ending shot. I kinda got what it was meant to be (thanks to having played god of war 2 of all things) but it still felt jarring to me.

Saw it

Hype of the movie was 5/5, but the movie itself is like 2.5/5

also saw Joker, not the Best, but okaish - 3/5

watching 6 Underground now