Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

16 hours ago, Pushy said:

Saw it

Hype of the movie was 5/5, but the movie itself is like 2.5/5

Yeah, it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Reminds me of Mother (2017) in a way.....another movie which I loved for its absolutely batshit crazy weirdness

19 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

It's not an all time list, just the ones I watched this decade.

But yes, excluding Shawshank and 300 would make it right.

Yeah, but it seems like not many are interested in making a list though :P

Anyway, here's mine FWIW. All are movies from this decade.

10. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Parasite
7. Arrival
6. Logan
5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4. Before Midnight
3. Whiplash
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
1. Blade Runner 2049

There are so many great movies that I feel like my list would probably change quite a bit if I were to make it even just a few days down the line. The numbers 1, 2 and 10 are locked though.

Also best director of the decade IMO - Denis Villeneuve. Made Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and BR2049 this decade :majesty:.

Out of the ones I've seen

1. Fury Road

2. Inception

3. Winter Soldier

4. Django Unchained

5. John Wick (all three)

6. Gravity

7. La La Land

8. Interstellar

9. Nightcrawler

10. Wolf of Wall Street

There's quite a few more, but these I've seen more than 3-4 times, and even now if they show up while channel surfing I'll stop and watch them till the end.

Only watched Logan and wolf of the wall street.

Wolf of the wall street wasn't bad at all but not my type.

Didn't like Logan much (seemed an a to b movie instead of an action hero movie), liked the generally hated X-Men origins : Wolverine more.

And no one watches bollywood and mostly prefer action or sci-fi stuff ?

Edited by GunnerY2J

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

Didn't like Logan much (seemed an a to b movie instead of an action hero movie), liked the generally hated X-Men origins : Wolverine more.

Yeah, Logan's quite different from a typical superhero action movie. But I didn't love it just because it's different though. I thought it was a really well made and acted character piece on the lines of Unforgiven, which is an all-time favourite of mine. The violent R-rated action is a cherry on top.

2 hours ago, GunnerY2J said:

And no one watches bollywood and mostly prefer action or sci-fi stuff ?

Well, half of the movies in my list aren't action/sci-fi :P

And yeah, I don't usually watch a lot of Bollywood stuff. But below are the ones that I loved from this decade.

Ugly

Lootera

Lunchbox

Andhadhun

Udta Punjab

Gully Boy

Have heard good things about Gangs of Wasseypur and Pink but haven't got around to watching them yet :\

25 minutes ago, dangalphthegrey said:

Honestly I pity those folks who gre up loving star wars and have those love goggles still on and are being bombarded by one shitshow after another since so long lmao.

I don't know what people were expecting? STAR WARS has been mediocre since early 2000. Episode I and II were dogshite. Revenge of the Sith was just as okay as Sequel trilogy if not worse.

All the good STAR WARS stuff ended in IV-V-VI. After that it's all just nostalgia and hope. The music still gives chills. 

I very much liked both Rogue One and SOLO way more than VII and VIII. ? 

5 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Yeah, it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. Reminds me of Mother (2017) in a way.....another movie which I loved for its absolutely batshit crazy weirdness

Yeah, but it seems like not many are interested in making a list though :P

Anyway, here's mine FWIW. All are movies from this decade.

10. Scott Pilgrim vs The World
9. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Parasite
7. Arrival
6. Logan
5. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
4. Before Midnight
3. Whiplash
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
1. Blade Runner 2049

There are so many great movies that I feel like my list would probably change quite a bit if I were to make it even just a few days down the line. The numbers 1, 2 and 10 are locked though.

Also best director of the decade IMO - Denis Villeneuve. Made Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario, Arrival and BR2049 this decade :majesty:.

Massive respect for mentioning The grand Budapest hotel and whiplash, I didn't think anybody bothered with such movies here.... :thumbsup:! If you like more offbeat movies check out tumbadd, triangle, side effects, blue Jasmine , haywire & coherence - from the top of my head.

Edited by Ne0
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ne0 said:

Massive respect for mentioning The grand Budapest hotel and whiplash, I didn't think anybody bothered with such movies here.... :thumbsup:! If you like more offbeat movies checkout tumbadd, triangle, side effects, blue Jasmine , haywire, coherence from the top of my head.

I've seen all those movies except Blue Jasmine and Haywire. Will add them to my watchlist :good:

And I don't know how I forgot about Tumbbad. It's definitely one of the best Bollywood movies of this decade!

Joker - What the hell is this film? It wants the audience to root for Arthur when it begins, then it takes a drastic turn in the second act deeming the previous one utterly pointless because you are no longer supposed to root for him because of his actions. Then Arthur becomes Joker with zero buildup, motivation whatsoever and acts like a hero when the bizarre "kill the rich" movement he doesn't care about saves him. I mean, it doesn't fully commit to anything. It's not even told from an emo teenager point of view fully, nor is it making any profound statement about mental illness, hell, it doesn't even serve as an origin story for Joker properly for that matter. I think the critics were right about this film.

Ad Astra - I liked it, but they should have dropped Brad Pitt's narration. It's poorly written, makes the film sound pretentious and also reminded me of Apocalypse Now too much.

6 Underground - It gets boring very quickly (has good sound effects though).

Edited by The Panda

On 12/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, Aftrunner said:

It pretty much is. :lol:

NGL though, Welcome to the Jungle was kinda decent. Havent seen the two new Jumanji's though. 

Jumanji 1 with the rock was pretty good. Havent seen Jumanji 2 yet.

On that note, saw Dora and the lost city and its a pretty decent one time watch.