Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

I'm watching it this weekend too. Not expecting much really... Roland Emmerich's movies are usually all flash and no substance. Great VFX but pretty much nothing else. But I'm a sucker for VFX based flicks (no matter how bad they are), so I'm gonna watch it!

Anyway, I'll be watching Sweeney Todd tomorrow (finally!)...

Edited by Tyler

now that i am back to a place where i can *ahem* get *easy* access to movies time to watch there will be blood, no country, vantage point, and dare i say Jumper.

I was reading up on Daniel Day Lewis today - the guy has done only a handful of movies, and he has managed a crazy number of awards! He swept everywhere this year. He has done only 4 movies in the last 10 years!

Sheesh - crazy method actors.

thanks - I thought it might. I also need to see Golden Compass. Picked up the trilogy last weekend, and on the last few pages. It's brilliant! This is one trilogy which might share shelf space with LOTR and Foundation. But I hear that a lot of the ideology was cut out from the movie.

It's a trilogy - they should have plans. The 3rd part is the only childrens book to win the whitbread book of the year. The books are a VFX designer's dream - and a religious minefield!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111795672...d=1236&cs=1

Hopefully - the first one did well enough so they can go ahead with the next two.

^^ That's exactly the problem. The first one didn't do well at the BO in the US. It did do well internationally though. But New Line doesn't think it's good enough to move ahead with the sequels. Plus New Line is going to fully merge into Warner soon and The Hobbit is now their biggest cash cow. The merger itself is a result of the failure of The Golden Compass. Sad story.

The Hobbit is another one I hope they don't mess up. I had awaited the LOTR movies with really low expectations - well, because it's LOTR. They did a brilliant job on it. But the Hobbit is a much lower scale, 'funny' movie. It's not supposed to be epic. Deserves a different treatment.

Oh well - wait and see.

In the meantime I await the Joker and Dark Knight showdown.

Am drooling at the thought - Pan's Labyrinth was mind blowing. There was some fancy VFX in that movie, but never was the VFX allowed to overtake the story line. I am a firm believer that technology should be an enabler for a vision (that's my work side struggling to speak out) - and don't do tech stuff for the sake of it.

The way the violence of war is interspersed with the fairy tale is nice. And then on the flipside he's handled a movie like Hellboy. That could have gone wrong in so many ways because of the way the comic books are written.

And he's apparently going to do some LOTR prequel as well?

^^ Not sure about the LOTR prequel but The Hobbit is confirmed. And yeah there's also Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. The trailer looked pretty sweet!

And yeah Pan's Labyrinth was amazing. I watched it in the theaters in the US. There were only 5 other people in the hall besides me... LOL.

Edited by Tyler

Why am I not surprised with that attendance?

I managed to catch U2 3D Movie in Imax this time around - that is an experience. It's like attending a real concert - the sound, the visuals, the music. Followed it up with some Guiness in an Irish bar - the only thing missing was the leprechauns that evening.

Johhny G is a brilliant movie. I was really surprised by the quality of the script.

@tyler - trying to watch Hellboy 2 trailer - i don't believe I have read this storyline. Time to hit the comic book shops if it's based on an existing story arc.