Movie Discussion Thread

HundredProofSam

13 hours ago, HEMAN said:

Even though you had super low expectations the fact that you bought tickets and went to the movie, is what the producers were hoping for. To bring in people. 

I was forced by circumstances, I.e Bahubali fan cousin sisters😶.

Saw Eerie on Netflix. Good watch.

Considering the hype it got like people not able to sleep and all. It wasn't that scary tbh. Shot excellently though. Ending was a little weird as well. Could have been much better. The matchstick scene was superb.

IT Chapter Two reviews out

Rotten Tomatoes: 78%

Average Rating: 6.8/10

Metacritic: 60

• When it comes down to it, It Chapter Two just isn't all that scary. 35s3RKO.png
  • Really, the main problem with Chapter Two is that it goes on, and on, for so very long.
  • It Chapter Two isn't better than Chapter One. It's certainly not scarier. Here's the thing, though: when it counts, it's every bit as thrilling.
  • It is just so pointlessly long: approaching three hours, with our heroes finally beginning to assume a glassy-eyed solemnity like Hogwarts graduates or the Fellowship of the Ring.
  • IT Chapter Two isn't as refined as the first, but it's still an excellent ensemble piece, oozing with heart and packed with extremely well-crafted set pieces. Muschietti weaves the young and adult Losers together well, giving the sequel an epic feel.
  • Although marred by pacing issues and some shoddy CGI, It Chapter Two still has enough creepy set-pieces and solid performances to bring the saga to an effective, albeit formulaic, con.
  • An elaborate fun-house horror movie that springs pop-up gimmicks and boogie-boogie scares steadily enough to excuse its been-there story and self-important 169-minute running time.
  • It is glorious to see this stuff envisioned on such a huge and self-assured scale, a joy to have a film of this size trading in this sort of genre carnage with such uncompromising and unapologetic style.
  • Andy Muschietti did a great job of not only staying faithful to the source material, but also adding fresh spins and ideas to this adaptation of a Stephen King classic. If you're a fan of the first movie (like me), you'll love this sequel.
  • For all of Muschietti’s visual flourishes and with the greatly talented Bill Skarsgard again delivering a madcap, disturbingly effective, all-in performance as the dreaded Pennywise, It: Chapter Two had a relatively muted impact on me.
  • It Chapter Two is about redemption and the Losers coming together again to learn how strong they all are together. And the actors make it work. But the biggest problem is IT, because IT can be everything and IT can be nothing. IT has no real rules or motivations, or rhyme or reason, for literally anything he does.
  • Hader rises above the rest. If you've seen "Barry," his HBO series, you know he has no problem blending comedy and drama. In this case, he adds horror to the mix, and he's just as good at that, too.

17 hours ago, Joe Cool said:
  • When it comes down to it, It Chapter Two just isn't all that scary. 35s3RKO.png

Neither was the first one though and it was still fun.

But yeah, judging from the reviews it looks like the sequel's intimidating 2hr50min run-time doesn't feel justified. Still gonna check it out this weekend. Let's see.

----------------------------

Looks absolutely gorgeous!

Watched IT: Chapter 2.

Thought it was a very flawed movie. The screenplay especially isn't very good. The pacing is wonky and even with an almost 3hr run-time, it felt like some stuff wasn't explored as much as it should have while some other stuff was abruptly cut short for time.

Which is why I feel this would've worked much much better as a series (something along the lines of Haunting of Hill House).

That said though, I still quite liked it, warts and all. There are some great moments in the movie and I guess the quality of the source material still manages to shine through at times.

All the actors were good too and it's actually quite uncanny how closely most of them resemble their child counterparts.

The movie definitely feels like a 3hr movie though, especially towards the end.

• Like 1

Back from IT part 2, overall a weaker movie. The charm of the first one was kids taking on the horrors. Here it with mature guys it didnt work that good.

Movie still got some moments, some scary ones too but it got boring at one point. Still, fans of the first one should watch it, esp. for the flashbacks & the kids sequences. The ending was a good one.

Saw Chhichhore yesterday and enjoyed it a lot . Was initially skeptical but after reading so many good reviews decided to go for it . It's a superb comedy film with a good moral lesson . Whole audience kept laughing from start to the end . Sushant was decent in his role while Shraddha didn't have much to do or say .  It's the supporting cast which really shines in the movie  .Varun Sharma was superb in his role as Sexa . Other actors played their part nicely as well . Overall a very good fun filled entertainer . 

DC's Joker starring Joaquin Phoenix and directed by Todd Philips won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. That is the most prestigious award at the Venice Film Festival. Also the award at the Venice Film Festival is seen as a pre-cursor to the Oscars with other films like Roma and The Shape of Water winning the Golden Lion going on to win the Best Picture at the Academy Awards.

Sourcehttps://thewire.in/film/joker-wins-best-film-at-venice-film-festival

Damn, critics are loving the movie. Joker might be DC's next Dark Knight at this rate.

Edited by roun90

2 hours ago, cyberpunk said:

Knives Out starring Chris Evans and Daniel Craig, directed by Rian Johnson(Last Jedi) seems to be a must watch whodunnit mystery/drama. 

Yup.

Big fan of Rian Johnson. Have loved everything he has done so far and this doesn't look like it's going to be an exception.

I just hope they don't cancel his new SW trilogy :samui:

1 hour ago, roun90 said:

Damn, critics are loving the movie. Joker might be DC's next Dark Knight at this rate.

Yeah. I like that DC is now doing its own thing and not trying to ape Marvel.

Edited by STICK3Rboy

20 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

Yeah. I like that DC is now doing its own thing and not trying to ape Marvel.

Yup; I love it. Not as much of a Marvel Fan anymore. But it's difficult to produce an entire franchise in this manner. The Dark Knight was brilliant and (IMO) head and shoulders above anything Marvel produced. But Marvel made tons of movies with OK quality while DC made 1 -2 brilliant movies. It's easy to churn out quantity when you have a formula. But making brilliant movies like TDK or Logan - That's tough and not always possible.

Depending on such brilliant movies is good for critics and the audience, but not exactly conducive to establishing an entire DC franchise