Sign in to follow this  
HundredProofSam

Movie Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

The Rise of Skywalker - What a f**king sh*t-show :lol:

It seems like the top priority of the movie was to address all the fan criticisms of the previous movies (especially TLJ) and not actually to tell a story of its own.

They've taken plot points from popular fan theories and just built a nonsensical plot around it. None of these plot points feel earned either. They're just forced down your throat. Character arcs and revelations lack any kind of weight to them. The pacing is manic and relentless and not in a good way.

The movie doesn't feel like it was made by a director with a vision. It feels like it was made by an AI which took its inputs from the scores of whinging SW fans.

Some reviewer had called this movie a zombie and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it is mildly entertaining at times. Ohh and also Babu Frik. That little guy (with a screentime of about a minute) was probably the best thing in the movie :lol:

Don’t blame JJ bro. It’s all Kathleen Kennedy’s fault. Well, she just wanted to make the force female.lol.

3 hours ago, STICK3Rboy said:

The Rise of Skywalker - What a f**king sh*t-show :lol:

It seems like the top priority of the movie was to address all the fan criticisms of the previous movies (especially TLJ) and not actually to tell a story of its own.

They've taken plot points from popular fan theories and just built a nonsensical plot around it. None of these plot points feel earned either. They're just forced down your throat. Character arcs and revelations lack any kind of weight to them. The pacing is manic and relentless and not in a good way.

The movie doesn't feel like it was made by a director with a vision. It feels like it was made by an AI which took its inputs from the scores of whinging SW fans.

Some reviewer had called this movie a zombie and I wholeheartedly agree with him.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it is mildly entertaining at times. Ohh and also Babu Frik. That little guy (with a screentime of about a minute) was probably the best thing in the movie :lol:

I can forgive everything else but the ending. The ending was disney telling *beep* you to Star Wars fandom. 

SPOILER ALERT (TRUST ME, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF U GET SPOILED ABOUT THIS POS FILM)

negatives: 

For the first time in a Star Wars film, the last two lightsaber battles felt pointless. There was absolutely no stake or purpose.

Whereas Reylo had a good thing going, it ended up feeling right up in Twilight territory, due to poor writing and direction.

Why the hell were the knights of ren posing in different places, without purpose like Fashion models?

Did anyone notice a progressive last order board room? One black woman, one Asian woman, 50% women, even the emperor is progressive.lol.

Then Liea kicks Luke’s defiled a*s when they were training in the flashback scene and even foresees Ben’s future. She is implied to be more powerful with the force than Luke.

The Emperor’s son was a useless Sh!t.

Oh, and I would have renamed the film: SjWars : Rise of Macguffin. 

The worst Macguffin was General Hux. Yuck!

The film has the worst title crawl In all Star Wars history. They even got the title wrong in the crawl.

Did Finn forget Rose?

Did you notice how the Emperor killed himself without stopping shooting the lightning reflected by Rey? Wtf? 

Overall, The Last Jedi was a bit better. It was at least coherent. This one was an incoherent mess.

Snake scene was cringey and pointless AF.

Every time Lando entered I wished he were dead. Pure Cringe.

There was even some pathetic editing towards the end.

positives:

The only cool scene the film was Rey using force lightning. The concept of duos in force was great. Also, the last scene was a good ending for Ben Solos ark.

Adam Driver's performance was great.

Edited by kmkaks

I liked it. It's a mess pacing wise, the story is all over the place mainly trying to plug the holes caused by the TLJ torpedo, and ending is kinda underwhelming. Rogue One finale shits all over it. But it's a spectacle from start to end, the audio-visuals are goosebump inducing, Keri Russell is dope, and the movie actually moves at breakneck pace so it's not at least boring. The lightspeed hopping that the Falcon does is perfect analogy for the pacing. 

Also since it was the first show ever, lots of SW fans in the crowd. Someone shouted "may the force be with you" at the beginning, and was chorus replied "always" :lol:

58 minutes ago, CarbonCore said:

I liked it. It's a mess pacing wise, the story is all over the place mainly trying to plug the holes caused by the TLJ torpedo, and ending is kinda underwhelming. Rogue One finale shits all over it. But it's a spectacle from start to end, the audio-visuals are goosebump inducing, Keri Russell is dope, and the movie actually moves at breakneck pace so it's not at least boring. The lightspeed hopping that the Falcon does is perfect analogy for the pacing. 

Also since it was the first show ever, lots of SW fans in the crowd. Someone shouted "may the force be with you" at the beginning, and was chorus replied "always" :lol:

I love a good crowd. Can make a movie so much more fun. 

Going to see this tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, hazard12345 said:

Finally saw Joker. Not worth the hype at all

A solid 8.6/10 movie at least and anyday better than every (or whatever few I have watched) recent overhyped marvel movie full of frustrating jokes and entry scenes.

Edited by GunnerY2J

So I bit the bay and watched 6 Underground, and it wasn’t bad at all. Fun, sexy, idiotic, with good music, and really quite insane. 
The opening chase sequence is atleast a two time watch. Just wish Netflix wouldn’t butcher the audio compression so badly. 

The Lighthouse is fantastic!

The movie is symbolism-heavy and I'll admit I didn't quite get all of it. But I was thoroughly fascinated by the weirdness of the whole thing and its absolutely pitch-perfect aesthetic.

I mean the movie looks incredibly good! The black and white cinematography and the 4:3 aspect ratio really add a lot to the atmosphere while also providing some great eye candy.

And of course, both Dafoe and Pattinson are f**king magnetic in their roles!

The one thing I'm not really a fan of though is the ending shot. I kinda got what it was meant to be (thanks to having played god of war 2 of all things) but it still felt jarring to me.

Saw Star Wars ROS. 

Its not awful. It is also kinda weird. They had a decade to plan out a story and yet the movie feels like its improvising most of the time. So many "did they mean to do that? and if they did, why was no ground work laid in the last 3 movies for this?". As a consequence the movie has all these big ticket moments that it thinks are super emotional (characters tear up, music swells up etc etc) and none of them feel earned. Aside from Ben and Rey the rest of the cast have absolutely no chemistry together. Which makes it awkward cause the characters keeps telling you every 5 minutes how much they mean to each other. Like, bro you spent like 5 minutes with him/her, chill dude, you arent soul mates. 

On the positive side, Adam driver is absolutely phenomenal with whatever lines he is given. They can act the hell out of any scene. Rey is still super likeable so you end up rooting for her anyway. The movie looks phenomenal. And that is about it.

Unlike the second Lucas trilogy, there is nothing offensive about it. But there isnt much to remember either. It ends with a whimper instead of a bang. 

Anyway, I hope that they are now done with the Skywalkers. I want more Solo/Rogue one stories. They are so much better.