HundredProofSam

Movie Discussion Thread

16 hours ago, Big Boss said:

Wow I missed that AB better than John Wick post. WTF has happened here? First it was Dhan Dhana Dhan goal, then this. 2020 looking scary.

joe cool is no longer cool, thinks LOST is the best TV show and john wick is bad :P

he's more like joe senile ....

8 hours ago, Ne0 said:

joe cool is no longer cool, thinks LOST is the best TV show and john wick is bad :P

he's more like joe senile ....

I didn't say John Wick is bad? 

Hmm, got around John Wick movies and kind of disappointed. 

John Wick - good start with solid action

John Wick 2 - some more action but kind of felt weaker than previous part

John Wick 3 - lots of action...like entire movie while forgetting everything else

I really hate the fact we are 3 movies in and still 0% of the time has been spent on the (back) story and characters. While the action is top-notch and Keanu delivering every single time, the negatives still take away some of the fun. The dialogues were very minimal and bad. There is no tension, no buildup, no plot, nothing. Just 2 hours of non-stop killing and Halle Berry action scene felt bit long and dogs recycling same attack got old fast. The movies doesn't move a single step forward. 

That said, still enjoyable and action was done well. Given the lack of good action movies, this surely fills the gap. Hopefully the next chapter (probably 2 more given how they are progressing) will have a better plot/build up and explain everything. 

Haven't seen AB nor have any plans to watch it ever. Theron. 🤢🤮

19 minutes ago, STICK3Rboy said:

First Cow

and poster

7tt3izu0ck941.png

Kelly Reichardt once again trains her perceptive and patient eye on the Pacific Northwest, this time evoking an authentically hardscrabble early nineteenth century way of life. A taciturn loner and skilled cook (John Magaro) has traveled west and joined a group of fur trappers in Oregon Territory, though he only finds true connection with a Chinese immigrant (Orion Lee) also seeking his fortune; soon the two collaborate on a successful business, although its longevity is reliant upon the clandestine participation of a nearby wealthy landowner’s prized milking cow. From this simple premise Reichardt constructs an interrogation of foundational Americana that recalls her earlier triumph Old Joy in its sensitive depiction of male friendship, yet is driven by a mounting suspense all its own. Reichardt again shows her distinct talent for depicting the peculiar rhythms of daily living and ability to capture the immense, unsettling quietude of rural America.

Yes, John wick is a very bland movie full of good but non stop emotionless action which feels extremely forced and boring to me.

And dhan dhana dhan is love. (People would continue to bring it up :p )

No comparisons between the two though but feel welcome to do so if you unnecessarily want  :p

John wick is bland only if you hate action and style. Every shot in the movie oozes style and the action is expertly choreographed and captured with minimal cuts. The lore is absurd which if you ask me only adds to the charm of the series. 

1 hour ago, adity said:

John wick is bland only if you hate action and style. Every shot in the movie oozes style and the action is expertly choreographed and captured with minimal cuts. The lore is absurd which if you ask me only adds to the charm of the series. 

The freaking Lore is what I am more interested in after part 3. 

Watched Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood last night. 

Before I started the movie, I didn't know what the movie references, albeit vaguely, very well, i.e, Charles Manson, the family, and Sharon Tate. I knew there was a gruesome murder, and Manson was behind it. No specifics. I didn't know Manson wasn't a musician. Or that Tate was 8-½ months pregnant. Whoosh. 

The movie itself is more a reimagined timeline, and a day and a bit in the lives of three characters. There's really nothing special going on for most of the 3 hours of the movie, till you reach the end sequence, and bits from earlier kind of complement it, which enhance this acid trip of a finish. Even though those little bits help in enhancing the third act, the first two are quite unremarkable. 

The third act blew me away. It was Tarantino in form, making the bit gruesome, scary, gory, funny, and impactful at the same time. I literally went "holy fvcking sh*t", and "what the fvck", and laughing, and feeling strange about laughing at what I saw, right when I saw what I saw. 

This is not a movie that I could've watched on a laptop, or even in the living room on the big TV. I would've been distracted too easily, and probably would've gotten bored and switched mid way, because, really, nothing much is happening for most of the movie, kind of like Godfather 2. But I didn't like GF2. I liked this. I watched it in a near perfect room set-up specifically to enhance (the experience of) watching movies like this. When I paused to get up to pee, I saw that I'd watched 2 hours of it, where I was thinking I was only an hour in. 

In every place where there's mention of cast, Leo's name comes up first. That's a thing because of the name that follows his: Brad Pitt. As insanely talented as Leo is, and he doesn't miss a step here (Dalton, his character, literally gets a "this is the best acting I've ever seen from anyone" in the movie), I thought Pitt outshone him here. That's partly because I think Cliff Booth, his character was better written for Pitt. Margot Robbie really doesn't have much to do here, but she'll be fine. Pacino has one scene. A good scene. 

The cars, and their burbling engine sounds are great. The world (re)created is funky. Female foot shots are many in number. The characters and their lives are kind of okay. This turned out to be a good one time watch, and made me look up the facts about the Tate murders, the reality of which hit me harder than the movie. 

PS: when I opened up the box and saw the disc, I thought I'd been played :P 

img_0976.jpeg?raw=1