What you bought this week

HundredProofSam

On 4/16/2018 at 12:15 AM, Shantz said:

new TV :D LG OLED 55C7T. Getting ready for God of War.

zz9MXvx.jpg

yYRqnpL.jpg

Congrats, that is a beauty. I myself was going to get it but the way I use my TV would have made the chances of burn-in pretty significant thus ended up getting Sony X900e. Please keep updating if you observe any burn-in in coming weeks.

• Like 1

@kunjanp Yeah, I was wary of the burn in as well and went to the shops looking for Sony X93E but it seems to be oos everywhere (in fact all X9** series is oos). Finally took a chance with this looking at some of the mitigations that LG has apparently done to avoid burn in and some confidence building by rtings.com guys as well. Time will tell though and will update if I see any. 

3 hours ago, quixote_1989 said:

emoji16.pngemoji16.png
Yep.
Maybe in a couple years when it's very cheap and I have a 4k tv.

Yea, Phil said that it will take time but they will make a good portfolio of first party games...including SP...

:rofl:

Just buy it for the lulz...

10 hours ago, HEMAN said:

I thought all Lg oled models come with screen savers to avoid burn in issues

They do but if one likes to use it as a second screen for workstation use or just have ESPN running in the background through out, the screen saver doesn't do much.

Now every person has a different use pattern so it varies whether burn in will be a problem or not.

They also have something called screen/pixel shift where they keep shifting the static portions (not sure if just the static portions or the whole image) a little bit to avoid the effect of the logos being displayed on sports/news channels etc. Apart from that, they run some pixel clearing scans over the panel whenever you switch off the tv and then there's a longer run you can do if you see some signs of retention, which is supposed to avoid perma burn ins as well. Another suggestion is to keep the OLED light levels a bit down to avoid it.

According to rtings.com, they do see temporary image retention but chance of perma burn-in on 16/17 models is negligible. Ironically, they see higher chances of perma burn in on '18 model.

Edit: But yeah, if you are going to use the tv as a workstation screen, don't even look at OLED. That will surely cause you problems.

Edited by Shantz