The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

We need a TV for the cafeteria at work. Doesnt need to be anything special. Just a large screen and decent display should be enough. Will be connected to a HD STB via HDMI. 

How are these cheap 25-30k 49 inchers in sale now? TCL and VU both have a 49 inch TV for under 30k.

12 minutes ago, jak3072 said:

Will someone elaborate on why do you need the fire stick if you already have a smart TV which supports Prime Video..

Or is it just for Dumb TVs?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You don't. Maybe some people have specific needs such as Netflix app which might not be available on all smart tvs, so thry might have to buy one.

12 hours ago, adity said:

Cheap smart TVs have sh*t processors not capable of running anything properly. Hence, fire stick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah that plus the user interface. 

Most Smart TV's are a pain to navigate when compared to dedicated hardware like Fire Stick and Chromecast.

Chromecast in particular is amazingly easy to use. I cant get my mom to even use a touch phone as her primary phone but she will use the it to chrome cast. 

Just out of curiosity, the Fire Stick does not support playing videos from a USB hard drive right? Like the WD media player used to do back in the day. I still rely on my Asus O'Play for that. So if that conks off, would need an immediate replacement. 

1 hour ago, shekdown said:

How do you guys cast things on the TV from hotstar? My TV has an inbuilt Chromecast. Everytime  I've tried to stream from Hotstar, I've had an error come up. How do I stream the phone itself?

That's because chromecast on hotstar is broken. Does it work with netflix or other apps for you? 

If you have an android, install google home, and mirror phone and see if that works. 

If you find another solution, please let me know. 

9 minutes ago, The Wolfy among us said:

That's because chromecast on hotstar is broken. Does it work with netflix or other apps for you? 

If you have an android, install google home, and mirror phone and see if that works. 

If you find another solution, please let me know. 

My TV has a netflix app and an amazon prime app. Both of which I use directly to stream on there. But I've not had a problem streaming netflix on chromecast in the past with my old TVs.

Mirror phone sounds like a good solution. I will attempt that. But would that mean the video gets streamed twice? Once on the phone and once on the TV - meaning more bandwidth consumed?

I have an app called webvideocaster, or something like that, on my android phone. That helped not double cast. For some reason, hotstar doesnt work on that either.

1 hour ago, shekdown said:

My TV has a netflix app and an amazon prime app. Both of which I use directly to stream on there. But I've not had a problem streaming netflix on chromecast in the past with my old TVs.

Mirror phone sounds like a good solution. I will attempt that. But would that mean the video gets streamed twice? Once on the phone and once on the TV - meaning more bandwidth consumed?

I have an app called webvideocaster, or something like that, on my android phone. That helped not double cast. For some reason, hotstar doesnt work on that either.

It will just mirror the phone's screen. No double bandwidth consumption. I tried it way back when it didn't mirror in full hd, but hey, it's hotstar, so it doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread