The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

Money is not the issue, space is. I need it for a room where there is not enough space between the seating area and the wall.

Just checked, for a viewing distance of about 7.5-8 ft, 55 inch tv should be fine.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

Go with 55 inch, you won't be disappointed.

24 minutes ago, Gavara Tarun said:

Is Sony x900f/x9000f still available in India? I'm in Bangalore and I want to buy a 55" model next month. 

Yes, only last week I was checking out Croma and Sony Centres with my friend, they had 900f series, only a few had 950g.

But this is in Delhi.

Edited by kunjanp

3 hours ago, Playstationdude said:

Which one is better - Qled or Oled? From a gaming/ dth perspective.

Assuming you want to go with Samsung and hence mentioning Qled.

I personally would prefer Qled just because of the higher brightness as compared to Oled.

They have good contrast ratio although not the Oled levels but higher brightness trumps it for me, gaming in HDR looks great.

Plus, no burn-in in the back of the mind.

5 hours ago, Playstationdude said:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-type/qled-vs-oled-vs-led

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/samsung-q9fn-vs-lg-c8/599/600

OLED anyday. I find the OLED brightness to be high enough to put it at 50 for most viewing (except bright room setting, where it is at 100). Heck, for Netflix and other movie SRTs, I had to change the subtitle color from white to yellow as the high contrast b/w black and white was so jarring it seemed to overpower the rest of the image. 

Having said that, the best experience of an OLED is in a dark/low light room. That's when the infinite contrast really comes to play, and it's nothing short of magical !

Burn in issues are VERY rare unless you are playing the same game for months/years on end every day for the HUD to be burned in. LG uses Pixel shift and a couple of other tech to prevent burn in anyway (channel logo shifting, changing brightness etc without the user noticing). 

6 hours ago, Playstationdude said:

Having seen Sony OLED 4k (A8F was the model name I guess), I can tell you - nothing beats OLED. Seeing a non-OLED screen, after OLED, it's like half the colors are missing. The burn-in is a complete non-issue. You will not get it because almost all modern OLED TVs continuously refresh the image in the background (You will not even notice the image being refreshed). Burn in and other issues might only be a problem if you are using some Chinese uber-cheap brand that no one even heard of, which doesn't care to maintain quality.

QLED is a brand gimmick used by Samsung, whereas OLED is the actual technology that's considered the best in the industry currently. Would highly advise OLED any day for all purposes - even for gaming, OLED looks absolutely amazing, and you literally feel you are missing out on something when you play the same game on a non-OLED TV.

Edited by roun90

I thought you wanted to stay with Samsung, thus recommended QLED, otherwise if you watch most of your content in a dim lit room, go for oled, either sony or Lg.

Still there is a reason that HDR 1000 standard exists and is recommended highly. I don't think any Oled hits sustained 1000 nits and burn-in risk increases with increased brightness. It depends on your use case.

Edited by kunjanp

13 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

I thought you wanted to stay with Samsung, thus recommended QLED, otherwise if you watch most of your content in a dim lit room, go for oled, either sony or Lg.

Still there is a reason that HDR 1000 standard exists and is recommended highly. I don't think any Oled hits sustained 1000 nits and burn-in risk increases with increased brightness. It depends on your use case.

You might be able to see 1000 nits on a bright day, but they are too much for the eyes in a closed room. The C8 reaches about 700 nits easily, and the whites still hurt my eyes, specially in subtitles. 

Plus with an infinite contrast ratio, the colors pop out without any unnatural saturation applied on them. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

You might be able to see 1000 nits on a bright day, but they are too much for the eyes in a closed room. The C8 reaches about 700 nits easily, and the whites still hurt my eyes, specially in subtitles. 

Plus with an infinite contrast ratio, the colors pop out without any unnatural saturation applied on them. 

I am not advocating against Oled, but pure whites and subtitles is a very specific subset.

I am not suggesting only Qled, I know it's a gimmick, I am talking about Leds. I only mentioned Qled because he asked.

Anyway, his use case is Dth and games, if it was movie/tv series I would have recommended Oled.

I have a 4k LG 55" LED in living room and 65" LG OLED in my HT/Gaming room, same content looks just too different on both the tvs. So much so my kid wants to watch all his cartoons on OLED only. 

If you have the budget get the OLED, you won't repent.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread