The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

My experience is similar. Croma, RD pretty much diss you the moment you mention Amazon/Flipkart in the conversation. 
Exactly, they are so damn bold that they flatly say that I won't get warranty if I buy from them. I simply lol in front of them. My experience has been amazing with Amazon so far touchwood.

My experience has been the opposite. Reliance Digital talks about their own deals, and how I'm better off paying a bit extra but buying from them. But they did offer to lower price a bit more when I told them the price on Amazon at the time.

Croma on the other hand offered to price match Amazon, but the seller had to be Cloudtail or Appario. Very specific about that. They matched the price, but they couldn't offer the additional 3000 cashback that Amazon had at the time with SBI cards. They offered me 2000 off with HDFC instead, which is still something. 
When I got my TV, the retail stores(Croma, RD, LG Retail) turned out to be cheaper than online.

Not the listed price though, which was much higher. Told them I was there to "buy, not browse" and asked for the actual price.
Same. Always found brick and mortar(though not always croma/reliance) to be cheaper.
The thing with brick and mortar is that the price they usually offer has a lot of leway in how much they can bargain. Then it all depends on your bargaining skills to bring the price close to the online price or sometimes even lower. The problem with this usual is that you need to be really good in bargaining to score the best deal. For people like me who Suck at bargaining they will simply fleece you. Also what I have seen that they usually beat online price only for large appliances if they ever (TV, Fridge, AC etc) i have never seen Croma, Reliance etc offer a better deal than online for products like Mobile, Hard Drive, Laptop, Router, Pen Drive, Console, mobile and laptop accessories etc.

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk

My experience is similar. Croma, RD pretty much diss you the moment you mention Amazon/Flipkart in the conversation. 
Exactly, they are so damn bold that they flatly say that I won't get warranty if I buy from them. I simply lol in front of them. My experience has been amazing with Amazon so far touchwood.

My experience has been the opposite. Reliance Digital talks about their own deals, and how I'm better off paying a bit extra but buying from them. But they did offer to lower price a bit more when I told them the price on Amazon at the time.

Croma on the other hand offered to price match Amazon, but the seller had to be Cloudtail or Appario. Very specific about that. They matched the price, but they couldn't offer the additional 3000 cashback that Amazon had at the time with SBI cards. They offered me 2000 off with HDFC instead, which is still something. 
When I got my TV, the retail stores(Croma, RD, LG Retail) turned out to be cheaper than online.

Not the listed price though, which was much higher. Told them I was there to "buy, not browse" and asked for the actual price.
Same. Always found brick and mortar(though not always croma/reliance) to be cheaper.
The thing with brick and mortar is that the price they usually offer has a lot of leway in how much they can bargain. Then it all depends on your bargaining skills to bring the price close to the online price or sometimes even lower. The problem with this usual is that you need to be really good in bargaining to score the best deal. For people like me who Suck at bargaining they will simply fleece you. Also what I have seen that they usually beat online price only for large appliances if they ever (TV, Fridge, AC etc) i have never seen Croma, Reliance etc offer a better deal than online for products like Mobile, Hard Drive, Laptop, Router, Pen Drive, Console, mobile and laptop accessories etc.

5 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

Exactly, they are so damn bold that they flatly say that I won't get warranty if I buy from them. I simply lol in front of them. My experience has been amazing with Amazon so far touchwood. The thing with brick and mortar is that the price they usually offer has a lot of leway in how much they can bargain. Then it all depends on your bargaining skills to bring the price close to the online price or sometimes even lower. The problem with this usual is that you need to be really good in bargaining to score the best deal. For people like me who Suck at bargaining they will simply fleece you. Also what I have seen that they usually beat online price only for large appliances if they ever (TV, Fridge, AC etc) i have never seen Croma, Reliance etc offer a better deal than online for products like Mobile, Hard Drive, Laptop, Router, Pen Drive, Console, mobile and laptop accessories etc.

Yes I agree. As far as Laptops and mobiles go even Nehru place cant price match Amazon/FK. 

But other than those things, in electronics only, I've had a much better experience offline.

5 minutes ago, i_rock098 said:

Exactly, they are so damn bold that they flatly say that I won't get warranty if I buy from them. I simply lol in front of them. My experience has been amazing with Amazon so far touchwood. The thing with brick and mortar is that the price they usually offer has a lot of leway in how much they can bargain. Then it all depends on your bargaining skills to bring the price close to the online price or sometimes even lower. The problem with this usual is that you need to be really good in bargaining to score the best deal. For people like me who Suck at bargaining they will simply fleece you. Also what I have seen that they usually beat online price only for large appliances if they ever (TV, Fridge, AC etc) i have never seen Croma, Reliance etc offer a better deal than online for products like Mobile, Hard Drive, Laptop, Router, Pen Drive, Console, mobile and laptop accessories etc.

Yes I agree. As far as Laptops and mobiles go even Nehru place cant price match Amazon/FK. 

But other than those things, in electronics only, I've had a much better experience offline.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:10 AM, gecko89 said:

Hmm. There is one problem though, not a single person I know has an ICICI Credit card, not my family, not my friends or their families. Seems like this sale is only for the bank employees :/

If you can stretch your budget a little, go for LG. I could see the 49 inch model someone posted in the Online offers thread for 43k. LG is much better

20 minutes ago, adity said:

Samsung 55 inch 4k TV is available for 41k. I wonder if that's any good. 

I use a Samsung 55 inch 4K myself, works great for me.

I doubt this will be the same model, as I bought mine a long time ago, and it was priced a lot higher. Although prices have come down in general for bigger TVs. 

5 hours ago, playstationdude said:

If you can stretch your budget a little, go for LG. I could see the 49 inch model someone posted in the Online offers thread for 43k. LG is much better

I checked, apart from the smaller size it runs on WebOS, not really a deal breaker but I prefer the android option on Vu. Also that LG is 2018 model, with one year warranty and the 55" goes up to almost 60k.

With Vu I get 3 year warranty for almost 34k. Plus Vu has some other nitty gritty features that I'd rather have and not need than not have and might need.

I am looking to replace my current TV (Panasonic 42" Plasma, awesome picture quality)

My wife is very fussy about picture quality and did not like the LG 4k TV that my sister had. (I dont remember the model, just that it cost them 50k~ish)

We have not watched any cable since  forever and consume Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hotstar

So far, I have looked at the following:

1. VU Cinema / Premium - 

•   PROS
    • Cheap (33k)
    • Gives me the flexibility to add a good sound system
    • Youtubers generally seem to go gaga over VU
  • CONS
    • Have not seen any piece in front of me. All my perceptions are from youtube

2. Samsung Q60R / Frame (There was a Q60R in the store which I saw. Frame and Q60R are supposed to have the same stuff)

•   PROS
    • Picture quality is good. The Frame as a concept looks stunning 
    • Wife loves Samsung
    • Plenty of in depth reviews and guides on how to change settings for various modes (e.g., rtings.com)
    • Low input lag for gaming
  • CONS
    • Pricey (About 85K)

3.  Sony X80G

•   PROS
    • Stunning picture quality. The colors are so much sharper than LG / Samsung TVs that were placed next to it. 
    • Japanese reliability? 
  • CONS
    • Expensive. The 65" was 105K, so hoping that 55" would come down to 85K or so.
    • The reviews on rtings.com criticized its movie performance 

4. Samsung RU7100

•   PROS
    • Picture quality is good. Its a shade below QLED though, 
    • Cost is 62K
    • This also leaves me some money to get a good soundbar
  • CONS
    • None that I can think of

I had planned to buy a TV in March but then Corona put a stop to everything. I am looking for a TV that has very good picture quality and will last me at least 6-7 years. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hotstar apps are a must ( which I think every one gives these days)

What would you recommend among these? Do you have any other alternative that I should be looking at? 

• Like 1

go show her LG OLED TV with netflix preferably playing a Dolby vision title and Dolby atmos, that is it.

Edited by AtheK
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AtheK said:

go show her LG OLED TV with netflix preferably playing a Dolby vision title and Dolby atmos, that is it.

I should have mentioned that my budget is around 90K. The LG OLEDs that I have seen online are all 150K or more. 

10 minutes ago, lithuvien said:

I should have mentioned that my budget is around 90K. The LG OLEDs that I have seen online are all 150K or more. 

Has the prices increased I thought I saw 55" TV go for 120k or so. Ask around prices offline are much better on TV, if you can get the 55" for 120k, believe me that 30k extra spent are totally worth it. 

See the latest prices here:

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/oled-tvs-price-best-quote-thread.72267/page-72

There is a guy selling his little used OLED for 95K,last post. 

Edited by AtheK

3 hours ago, lithuvien said:

I bought my 55 inch b9 for 115 after cashbacks last year. If you go for B8 model, you could land it for 1L. Oled is leagues above any Led/qled.

Also regarding VU, if your wife didnt like Lg, which usually has a better pq than samsung, not sure if she will like VU at all. The panels in these TVs are very basic.

6 hours ago, lithuvien said:

I am looking to replace my current TV (Panasonic 42" Plasma, awesome picture quality)

I'm in the market for a TV myself. Considering the X9500G and the A8G. My main priority is upscaling for DTH/ sports which is why I am not considering the LG B9/ C9, and leaning towards the Sony's. Though for 4k content, the LG's are as good as their Sony counterparts.

You can get B9 for 1.25 on Amazon. I got a quote for 1.3 in Mumbai in May for the C9. I can see the prices have now increased though, to around 1.35-1.4.

If you're considering the X8000G, check the X8500G which is available for 83k at Sony's newly launched website:

https://shopatsc.com/collections/television/products/sony-bravia-138-cm-55-inches-4k-ultra-hd-certified-android-led-tv-kd-55x8500g-black

Edited by boltonfan

Any idea on what the turnaround time for an LG OLED replacement is? Its been 15 days since I logged my complaint (on a brand new C9 that had flicker issues out of the box), and they've promised to send a new one by tomorrow. But I still haven't received a call from them and things moved forward only cos I escalated the issue to the level of area manager.

But honestly, I am running out of patience with the back and forth between Reliance Digital and LG. Worst case, I ll claim a refund on my credit card saying they are not providing promised service. 

Edited by l33tmaniac

8 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

Any idea on what the turnaround time for an LG OLED replacement is? Its been 15 days since I logged my complaint (on a brand new C9 that had flicker issues out of the box), and they've promised to send a new one by tomorrow. But I still haven't received a call from them and things moved forward only cos I escalated the issue to the level of area manager.

But honestly, I am running out of patience with the back and forth between Reliance Digital and LG. Worst case, I ll claim a refund on my credit card saying they are not providing promised service. 

LG service is really good, leagues better than Samsung and Sony . Most probably because of covid its taking this long. But yeah, sucks that a brand new TV is giving issues.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread