The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

58 minutes ago, lithuvien said:

It seems by the comments out here the people really recommend OLED above anything else. So I think I will wait for a few more months and see if upcoming festivities lead to prices falling into <120K. 

You will be well served. 

On 6/12/2020 at 11:37 AM, lithuvien said:

It seems by the comments out here the people really recommend OLED above anything else. So I think I will wait for a few more months and see if upcoming festivities lead to prices falling into <120K. 

I got an offer for 1.37 for the C9. LG are providing vouchers worth 10k and cash back around 5k on certain cards as well. Makes it close to 1.2.

I feel you can get a better deal if you visit in person, to finalise.

2 hours ago, boltonfan said:

I got an offer for 1.37 for the C9. LG are providing vouchers worth 10k and cash back around 5k on certain cards as well. Makes it close to 1.2.

I feel you can get a better deal if you visit in person, to finalise.

Looks like a great deal. Ya the sweet spot is 1.2 for 55", it's a brilliant investment. 

3 hours ago, swift said:

I'm also planning to replace my tv but i don't want to go for costly ones so what i have in mind is VU Premium or Ultra 50 inch and is VU a reliable brand?

A friend has a 65" TV which is 4 yrs old, running fine. I am not sure of after sales, but they have been around for quite sometime, should be ok. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, l33tmaniac said:

Any idea on what the turnaround time for an LG OLED replacement is? Its been 15 days since I logged my complaint (on a brand new C9 that had flicker issues out of the box), and they've promised to send a new one by tomorrow. But I still haven't received a call from them and things moved forward only cos I escalated the issue to the level of area manager.

But honestly, I am running out of patience with the back and forth between Reliance Digital and LG. Worst case, I ll claim a refund on my credit card saying they are not providing promised service. 

Any update on your TV mate?

16 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

Any update on your TV mate?

Hey man, thanks for asking. So, it's been one crazy experience. I am going to summarize what's been happening for the past couple of weeks.

I bought the TV on 23rd May and got it delivered on 24th. Installed it on 25th to find that the panel was faulty and raised a complaint the same day. I escalated the issue to both LG and Reliance and they confirmed that it was a DOA and it had to be replaced. But there was too much back and forth between who had to do the replacement and the timelines (mainly from the Reliance folks who promised that it would be done by 30th and then went radio silent). I was repeatedly following up and told them that I needed some clarity on what's going wrong and told them that I was okay with waiting as long as they kept the process transparent. Finally had to escalate the issue to the area manager via the Reliance sales team since I told them that I'd be initiating a charge back. Got a prompt response telling me that things would be sorted in the couple of days. 

A few email exchanges later, the LG folks confirmed my replacement promised delivery and installation by Thursday 11th of June. I check with those guys on Wed only to find out that the service manager has been sent on compulsory medical leave (guessing that he was suspected to be COVID-19 positive). I felt bad for the poor bloke but was pissed off cos till Tuesday, they told me that things were on track. 

I escalated the issue to the area manager for LG and had a quick call with her and asked her for timelines. She personally promised to look into things and forwarded the Hyd region service manager's number. He told me that he'd be fast tracking it and asked for 2 days time and I obliged. I wait for 2 days and checked with him (yesterday) and he tells me that he has asked the retail store to do the replacement. And I was like WTF mainly cos I was made to run between LG & Reliance when I first reported the issue. Then he explained to me that the replacements are done by LG but because of some unforeseen circumstances, they've made an exception and asked the retailer to replace it. 

Then the Reliance guys called me up and told me that they had to get another approval from their Mumbai HQ to rebill the item and asked for time till last evening. Things got processed and I finally got the new bill. This morning, the delivery guy calls me up to check if I am available for delivery. During this conversation he asks me if the old TV has been uninstalled and I reply in the negative. He now says that their protocol is to both pick up the faulty TV and deliver the new one. Now, because LG has offloaded the new TV delivery to Reliance, I had to get on another call with the Reliance service team to sort this out. Since their field agents were all busy, the service manager suggested that I uninstall it myself (since it was only stand mounted). Finally, I had to pack up the TV myself and had to call the delivery guy to tell him that it was uninstalled. Now, I am waiting for the delivery to be done by tonight/tomo. 

Just keeping my fingers crossed that the new TV doesn't develop any defects cos I can't go through this sh*t again. Has been a pretty horrible experience for me, honestly. COVID-19 is just one factor, but I think the bigger issue is the apathy towards customer plight and an attitude towards reactive resolution. Things get sorted only if you raise a ruckus in most places and most service folks simply don't bother to update you regularly. I was lucky to have found some helpful guys who were around to pick up calls and respond. I just hope things get sorted in the next couple of days and I can finally enjoy the TV. 

Edited by l33tmaniac

Sad to see, I had a screen replacement for LED TV in last month of warranty and only two weeks were left with warranty. They promptly exchanged my led screen in three days and even gave me an option to upgrade to a newer version if I so wished at a decent upgrade price. 

Guess it's just bad times right now, and I would suggest you put this behind and enjoy your new TV, the PQ will put a smile on your face everytime you switch it on and hopefully cushion the initial bad experience. Wish you the very best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with @AtheK it was a bunch of hassle but nothing to be done about it

Its nice that they did your screen replacement without any hassle. Was this within regular warranty or had you bought warranty extension when you purchased the unit?

Happy Gaming times ahead @l33tmaniac , hope they deliver it as scheduled

Edited by Chirag2001

7 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Agree with @AtheK it was a bunch of hassle but nothing to be done about it

Its nice that they did your screen replacement without any hassle. Was this within regular warranty or had you bought warranty extension when you purchased the unit?

Happy Gaming times ahead @l33tmaniac , hope they deliver it as scheduled

All lg tvs come with 1+1 warranty, 1st year is for entire TV, second year is just for panel, I just got lucky that tv decided to get a big line on the panel just a couple of weeks before warranty ended. 

1 hour ago, AtheK said:

Sad to see, I had a screen replacement for LED TV in last month of warranty and only two weeks were left with warranty. They promptly exchanged my led screen in three days and even gave me an option to upgrade to a newer version if I so wished at a decent upgrade price. 

Guess it's just bad times right now, and I would suggest you put this behind and enjoy your new TV, the PQ will put a smile on your face everytime you switch it on and hopefully cushion the initial bad experience. Wish you the very best. 

thanks, @AtheK. I hope so too. 

The Reliance guys are asking me to buy the extended warranty from them, but I am not convinced. Do you suggest getting something of the sort?

Edited by l33tmaniac

56 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

The Reliance guys are asking me to buy the extended warranty from them, but I am not convinced. Do you suggest getting something of the sort?

OLED warranties are pretty expensive from LG. So check what ResQ (RD's warranty arm) is offering.

You can find the LG prices on their site. If you buy during the initial month, you also get some extra discount. 

Enjoy your OLED. Trust me, It will ruin all other TVs got you. 

Edit: Recommend turning off all lights in the night, put Gravity on, and enjoy only the stars. You will not see anything else. It's my quintessential night time experience. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

48 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

OLED warranties are pretty expensive from LG. So check what ResQ (RD's warranty arm) is offering.

You can find the LG prices on their site. If you buy during the initial month, you also get some extra discount. 

Enjoy your OLED. Trust me, It will ruin all other TVs got you. 

Edit: Recommend turning off all lights in the night, put Gravity on, and enjoy only the stars. You will not see anything else. It's my quintessential night time experience. 

Will check em man :) Also, I ve been using the TV now, but the experience has been ruined cos of the flicker. Will try Gravity once the new panel arrives (and hope it doesnt have any issues ? )

1 hour ago, adity said:

No reliance digital is terrible. Get manufacturers warranty even if more expensive. f**kers took 1.5 months along with multiple calls and visits to fix my uncle's Samsung TV. They took his TV and then just did nothing. He had to fight so much with them and they eventually issued a refund and he bought an LG TV with it. 

Our experience could be an outlier but I'd recommend you to exercise caution. The customer service was apathetic at all levels. 

Thanks man. Even I am cautious about anything other than brand warranty and hence I asked here. Which city was this?

2 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

Sad to see you go through so much of an inconvenience, especially after spending a considerable amount. Hopefully, your replacement is better. OLED's are a different league altogether. You'll have a lot of fun once you're set.

Try to get the brand warranty, instead of 3rd party. If you get the 3rd party warranty, Reliance will have to deal with LG and it can get complicated, like it did for the faulty panel's replacement.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, boltonfan said:

Sad to see you go through so much of an inconvenience, especially after spending a considerable amount. Hopefully, your replacement is better. OLED's are a different league altogether. You'll have a lot of fun once you're set.

Try to get the brand warranty, instead of 3rd party. If you get the 3rd party warranty, Reliance will have to deal with LG and it can get complicated, like it did for the faulty panel's replacement.

Honestly, I think I will go for extended warranty only if it covers burn-in

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread