The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

Best way to buy the TV is to go to the showroom and toggle with the settings yourself.

I have Panasonic VIERA TH-L42D22 LCD TV and enjoying every bit of action in it.

Here are the things i checked before buying,

1) Checked if the TV reflects when there is a dark video --> passed the test

2) Adjusted the backlit, contrast, brigntness and other settings in Sony, samsung, LG and this TV and check the picture clarity at once and well i was impressed.

3) Basically planned to buy a Plasma, but then i am in chennai, so hot conditions are not so good for a plasma TV and moreover power consumption is very much an important thing for me since my TV runs for hours together.

4) Played an HD video in this TV, which the shop people ran only on Sony TV's and it was really cool.

5) the price quoted for this 42'' inch beast was just 45k, just loved it.

Ordered this TV right away after looking into these features.

got it back home and played Uncharted 2 right from the beginning :coolspeak:

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Karooo, yeah I would typically go for Samsung or Sony but the LG one looked pretty good as well (especially considering the pricing). And they have made quite a name for themselves in the market.

I'll visit some showrooms on the weekend if my current TV turns out to be beyond repair... :(

I have been waiting for 14 years for my Sony triton CRT TV set in the hall room to die, so that i can replace it with a LED TV , forget about dying it hasn't even got any minors problem yet :rant:

Y U NO DIE Sony? FUFUFUFUFU

Its a Sony. :thumbsup:

Im thinking of picking up the LG infinia 46 inch LED. Dont want the 3D n stuff. Hows LG w.r.t reliability? I know LG is doing well, but never bought an LG priduct before so im in doubt.

Or maybe this model purely because it looks so sleek. The LG is a lot cheaper tho which is why m considering it.

Im thinking of picking up the LG infinia 46 inch LED. Dont want the 3D n stuff. Hows LG w.r.t reliability? I know LG is doing well, but never bought an LG priduct before so im in doubt.

Or maybe this model purely because it looks so sleek. The LG is a lot cheaper tho which is why m considering it.

LG is really a branded company and i had an LG TV before and it worked like a charm for 8 years without any small repairs. Being in chennai, try to get into some showrooms and negotiate for the prices, you can atleast reduce around 3K just by bargaining when giving such huge prices for these TV's. I would suggest you to drop in into Viveks, Vasant & co and Croma showrooms in T-Nagar and check who gives you the best price. Usually Vivek's win the game, like in my case :)

Oh ok. Thanks. I just visited Croma and LG's own exhibit at Chennai trade center during a recent trade fair.

I dont associate any higher value to Sony as such. Just that I've had a good experience with Sony so far with 3 TVs purchased by relatives too.

But i am getting a very good price for an LG LED. So was considering it

In the old TV technology, i don't think any other company even came near to that of Sony's benchmark. but, the introduction LCD, LED and Plasmas have changed the business totally. Many companies are producing some quality products in these segments, so we have all the liberty to check many brands and settle down with the comfortable one. The guys in Viveks wil allow you to toggle with the settings in all the TV's there, i actually made a mess of it in all the TV's when i went to buy one :bigyellowgrin:

Hi, even I plan to buy a new TV in the coming days, something big to fit in my new HT room. My room is around 15(L)x10(W)approx. Maybe 1 or 2 feet more/less. I'm quite unsure of the size though. I want to have a movie theater like experience. Will 46" suffice ? Or should I go for > 50". Also, I'm quite undecided on which type to choose - LED/LCD/plasma etc ? 3D is not mandatory. I plan to use the same TV for gaming as well. Budget is not decided as I first want to fix on the features first. I'm open to major brands as long as they have a service center in India and have some reputations :)

Above 46'', you have only one option that you should go for a Plasma and the only reliable Plasma TV's are from Panasonic. There is a 50'' Panasonic 3D tv, i saw it in showroom and went speechless. With respect to the 46'' inch models, you will have to hunt down the TV showrooms. Check for some TV models that you are impressed with and come back home and read the reviews or do the vice-versa, you won't regret that. I would suggest you to go for that 50'' Plasma model if you have the cash to spend, else settle down for a 46'' LED or LCD in any brand that suits you the better :)

when i purchased my Plasma TV back in October 2010 I had zeroed on two Tv's

1. Panasonic TH-P46U20D It was priced at Rs. 65000 with freebies

2. Panasonic TH-P50U20D It was priced at Rs 72000 with Freebies

I got the 50 inches one and has been performing absolutely marvelously. Panasonic manufacture their own Plasma/LCD screens.

Sony,LG do not manufacture their own screens.

The picture quality is brilliant. No burning issues regarding the screen as expected in Plasma TV's.

I personally recommend Plasma TV for anyone looking beyond 42 inches.

and LCDs for below 42 inches.

LED's are similar to LCDs in their picture quality and features. Its only that they are extremely slim and light weight when compared to LCD and Plasma Tv's.

I say this because of the picture clarity, value for money, features , Longevity,etc

Also LCD cost increase rapidly if one goes for lcd for 42 inches of above.

A Plasma TV for 46 inches - 50 inches will cost anything around Rs 70K, but for the same size in LCD it will cost above Rs 85 K .

^^ thanks guys. But I hear that plasma is a dying breed and has some problems w.r.t gaming (can't handle fast refresh) ? I maybe misinformed though. So please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, what about picture quality and reliability ? I don't plan to replace this TV for anytime in the near future. Want it to perform reasonably well for atleast another 5-6 years.

Edited by Ne0

^^ no way I'm buying anything of that price on ebay or anywhere online for that matter. No matter how good the deal is.

@sherry, I don't have AC in my room, if thats what you are asking by keeping in a cool place. Also, what is the reason for plasma being the choice for bigger sizes (apart from cost) ?

Plasmas have fantastic picture quality for movies and blu rays

But for usual DTH SD fare, it sucks. Looks washed out IMO. LCDs do DTH better.

Plasmas r really good if u have good content to watch on. Video purists swear by Plasmas only because they watch the best blu rays and DVDs on it. For normal people who also watch TV content, I personally would advise an LCD.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread