The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

Follow up to the TV Buying stint:

Main Salesman calls me up to ask what we didn't like about the TV yesterday. I explained to him about the missing 5 Ghz capability and then asked him if LG has teh newer wifi cards installed. His reply was "What sir! If Samsung doesnt support it why will LG support it? " I think to myself "He must be getting one helluva commission from Samsung or is utterly clueless"

He then offers the Q60R to me at an attractive rate since it is the last piece

He rambles on and on about the benefits of QLED and how Samsung gives a 10 year warranty on its screens. I ask him if there are any problems with the piece since they would be selling the display piece only. 

He says" There is a small scratch sir, but don't worry. Samsung has warranty for its screens". This is the point where I facepalmed hard. I told him to get back to me with the attractive price just to get away

On the other hand, my wife is now drooling over the new frame TV cause it shows such lovely art pieces

Now I know what the Enterprise  Architects go through during strategy meetings

Whoa I didn't know RU7470 does not have 5G band, WTF? Also, where do I find the info about the wifi frequency on TVs? Amazon and flipkart don't give that kind of information. 

Does LG 7300 or 8100 gives 5Ghz? The thing is, this a deal breaker for me since I have 2 routers in my home. 5Ghz one gives around 200mbps speed while 2.4 one doesn't even give 10mbps properly. My ISP said they can't do anything about that. No way streaming 4K content is possible on. 

3 hours ago, dante77 said:

Whoa I didn't know RU7470 does not have 5G band, WTF? Also, where do I find the info about the wifi frequency on TVs? Amazon and flipkart don't give that kind of information. 

Does LG 7300 or 8100 gives 5Ghz? The thing is, this a deal breaker for me since I have 2 routers in my home. 5Ghz one gives around 200mbps speed while 2.4 one doesn't even give 10mbps properly. My ISP said they can't do anything about that. No way streaming 4K content is possible on. 

You can go to the product specification page on LG site and then look for the model. 

I have a  2018 UJ632t 4k tv and it has 5ghz option.

6 hours ago, lithuvien said:

Follow up to the TV Buying stint:

Main Salesman calls me up to ask what we didn't like about the TV yesterday. I explained to him about the missing 5 Ghz capability and then asked him if LG has teh newer wifi cards installed. His reply was "What sir! If Samsung doesnt support it why will LG support it? " I think to myself "He must be getting one helluva commission from Samsung or is utterly clueless"

He then offers the Q60R to me at an attractive rate since it is the last piece

He rambles on and on about the benefits of QLED and how Samsung gives a 10 year warranty on its screens. I ask him if there are any problems with the piece since they would be selling the display piece only. 

He says" There is a small scratch sir, but don't worry. Samsung has warranty for its screens". This is the point where I facepalmed hard. I told him to get back to me with the attractive price just to get away

On the other hand, my wife is now drooling over the new frame TV cause it shows such lovely art pieces

Now I know what the Enterprise  Architects go through during strategy meetings

4 hours ago, dante77 said:

Funny my 2015 lg model has 5 ghz, wat weed is Samsung engineers on. That said it really does not matter as both TVS have firestick and it supports 5ghz, anyway LG WebOS does not get all the apps. 

Lmao, my Samsung TV also supports 5Ghz, and I bought it 2013/14 Diwali season.

Honestly one should do their own research, most salesmen have no idea what they're talking about. But most customers don't either, and they buy the wrong product. 

I have seen dumbasses buying a laptop with a 720p screen (in 2020), and all they're asking the salesman is

"8GB RAM kaafi hota hai kya?" :doh:

Edited by Chirag2001

• 3 weeks later...

My TV has this issue-

Specs: Samsung 55 inches 4K Smart TV. This is not an android TV, uses Samsung's Smart Hub system. Bought in 2014 if I'm not wrong. 

TV recently got a software update, it got installed, all good. The next day I get this screen, so I though maybe its another patch. But it kept going on and on. Screen isn't frozen, those dots you see at the top, the animation works fine.

At this point I waited hours but nothing worked. No buttons did anything except the power off and on button. Went online to find a solution, it worked for some people when they performed a factory reset. I did that, and the reset menu also works fine. I did it multiple times because after completing the reset (choosing a WiFi network, country, language etc) I get this screen again.

After a lot of button mashing, I discovered the search button on the remote works. When I click search, the search bar pops up, and the updating screen is in the background. Now I can use all the buttons, and switch TV inputs, or open Youtube/Netflix or access my hard drive connected via USB.

This search button bypass is a good temporary solution, works every time so I can access the apps. However, none of the HDMI inputs are working. My PS4 is working fine, I used remote play on my laptop to see the screen. 

Anyway, TV repairs fix hardware or port issues, not software updates. Online also, most people said that Samsung Customer Care just told them they can change the motherboard, but its clearly a firmware issue.

I thought of updating the firmware manually, but this is the current firmware version.

Its a very specific issue, but if you read this and can help, I'd appreciate it! I have another Tata Sky connected to a different TV, so that isn't a problem. And in-built apps are working fine. I just cannot play PS4 anymore :( 

7c3d8cef5db4b0a9a0611c6c6085619d.jpg

Edited by Chirag2001

Tried factory rest again today. No luck gave up after one try. Will try multiple times this weekend.

Its an ugly thought, but its gonna be tough replacing a 55inch 4K.....

Not sure what I'm gonna do next  :wallbash::wallbash:

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Have you tried starting without being connected to the net? 

I don't think thats possible. When I factory reset, one of the steps is to select a wifi network, so I'm always connected to the net the second the TV switches on.

I can try switching off the router after, see if the update loop stops without me interfering. I don't think there's even an update, as I'm all up to date on the firmware, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll try. 

Not sure if you guys do this, but I usually dont grab the remote. I just press the PS button on my dualshock 4, and PS4 and TV both start.

Still working. TV switched on, and went into HDMI 1. Unfortunately, no picture with the same updating sign....

Picture and stuff works fine if I'm using my hard drive via USB or Youtube/Netflix/Prime in built apps

Probably update got screwed in middle of download can you try updating firmware from USB? 
Yes I did think of that.
But firmware is upto date.

I went to the website and checked what latest firmware version is.
TV settings also say the same.

So the updating screen is just a nonsense loop, and I just can't fix it.

It's been 5 days since I could play PS4 now lol

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Probably update got screwed in middle of download can you try updating firmware from USB? 
I've got the latest firmware update from Samsung's website on a USB stick but didn't try since settings say firmware is upto date.

I'll still plug it in and see if update clicks for some reason.

I think if Samsung actually rolled out a fresh update patch, I use that to update the TV and it would break this loop, but God knows when the next update will come.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Spoke to Samsung Customer Care. Used the Remote Management feature so they could access my TV, but they couldn't do anything either.

Ultimately the guy tells me that it must be a mainboard/HDMI issue. Don't see how that is, because everything else is working fine, and its odd that all 4 HDMI ports would have problems at the same time, all of a sudden.

So, I don't wish to stop playing PS4 completely, not sure if this issue will even be fixed. Will use the TV for Youtube/Netflix/Prime normally, hope the issue gets fixed somehow.

Now, do I purchase another display for now? I don't wanna blow a ton of money honestly. I originally planned to get a Macbook, and a thunderbolt capable monitor later this year.

I haven't done either yet, and idk if it will even happen now.

It would be nice to connect my current laptop via HDMI to a monitor for work, and also use that monitor for playing as well. Do I buy a TV instead of a monitor? I don't have a TV in my room, would be nice but a TV on a desk would be difficult to use at that distance. 

Edit: Samsung offered to send in a technician to open up my TV, but I don't want to in the middle of this virus, so I said no for now.

Plus, I don't think opening up is the issue here. Replacing the motherboard is such a general solution for a specific problem.

1 minute ago, Chirag2001 said:

Spoke to Samsung Customer Care. Used the Remote Management feature so they could access my TV, but they couldn't do anything either.

Ultimately the guy tells me that it must be a mainboard/HDMI issue. Don't see how that is, because everything else is working fine, and its odd that all 4 HDMI ports would have problems at the same time, all of a sudden.

So, I don't wish to stop playing PS4 completely, not sure if this issue will even be fixed. Will use the TV for Youtube/Netflix/Prime normally, hope the issue gets fixed somehow.

Now, do I purchase another display for now? I don't wanna blow a ton of money honestly. I originally planned to get a Macbook, and a thunderbolt capable monitor later this year.

I haven't done either yet, and idk if it will even happen now.

It would be nice to connect my current laptop via HDMI to a monitor for work, and also use that monitor for playing as well. Do I buy a TV instead of a monitor? I don't have a TV in my room, would be nice but a TV on a desk would be difficult to use at that distance. 

Usually these ports all go into one HDMI controller, so if Samsung's "advanced software engineering" did some fkery with the HDMI controller, all your ports are dead.

If you're dead set on a TV, and not blowing up your this month's salary you will have to go with those cheap chinese TVs, they usually have 4K HDR in 32inch size, and maybe a shitty VA panel idk.

If you want a monitor, your can get this LG 27UL500 4K HDR IPS Monitor, it has 2x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort, 27 inches diagonal, comes at 30-35k depending on how Amazon is feeling on that day :rofl:

There is another more expensive and older model called LG 27UK650, the screen is same, but the UK650 has swivel functions for the stand i guess.

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

Usually these ports all go into one HDMI controller, so if Samsung's "advanced software engineering" did some fkery with the HDMI controller, all your ports are dead.

Yeah sure, but even if the HDMI controller is screwed because of which I cannot use any HDMI input, why the f**k would I get an "Updating TV Software" message loop? Idk.  Edit: The USB ports work fine. I plug in my hard drive and see all my data. My ports aren't dead, as when if I'm on HDMI 2, and I switch on the PS4 it immediately switches to HDMI 1. It does not even say the No Signal From Source message that you get if HDMI is loose or disconnected.

1 hour ago, PhantomShade said:

If you're dead set on a TV, and not blowing up your this month's salary you will have to go with those cheap chinese TVs, they usually have 4K HDR in 32inch size, and maybe a shitty VA panel idk.

If you want a monitor, your can get this LG 27UL500 4K HDR IPS Monitor, it has 2x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort, 27 inches diagonal, comes at 30-35k depending on how Amazon is feeling on that day :rofl:

There is another more expensive and older model called LG 27UK650, the screen is same, but the UK650 has swivel functions for the stand i guess.

Not willing to buy cheap Chinese stuff, be it a TV or a monitor. LG makes a 4K Smart TV in the 43 inch size, and its on Amazon for 35k. 

As far as monitor goes, I was just thinking of getting a cheaper monitor, full HD IPS. I have a PS4 Pro, but its not that much of a difference on a tiny screen. Its gonna be odd going from playing on a 55inch TV to a 23 inch monitor or something.

Still wondering if I go ahead with that. But my original plan was to get a new Macbook Air and a Thunderbolt capable monitor later, an ultrawide. What happens to this monitor then lol? 

Edited by Chirag2001

I wish remote play worked well, that way I could just use my laptop screen. But its really laggy and annoying, its okay for the bare minimum, like downloading updates or adding PS Plus games to the library. Unless anybody knows a way that it could work perfectly with minimal problems?

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread