The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

3 minutes ago, dante77 said:

The thing is. OLED is way too expensive. Not gonna spend that much on a TV. I don't see any better options. If this tv has better picture quality than One Plus or any other Chinese brand then I am good. It also offers 120hz refresh rate and 4 hdmi and other high end features. What other options we have in terms of picture quality?

It will defintely be better than cheeni bheeni brands. 

But I would suggest you read up on rtings for the particular model, to see if its worth paying extra over regular 4k LEDs. 

17 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Do you have any other options in mind? 80k max!!! I ak in no hurry so if good lg tv is coming in in a month or so. I can wait. I don't think they released 2020 models as of now.

none of the stores have received 2020 models in 55 inch and above category. only 1 or 2 pieces of TCL have arrived online but they go out of stock. 

29 minutes ago, dante77 said:

Do you have any other options in mind? 80k max!!! I ak in no hurry so if good lg tv is coming in in a month or so. I can wait. I don't think they released 2020 models as of now.

in LG there are the nanocell variants, nanocell is poor man's OLED, idk how much samsung QLED TV's cost.

LG C9 series OLED go easily above 1 lakh.

Avoid cheeni brands, no other features apart from el cheapo price.

15 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

in LG there are the nanocell variants, nanocell is poor man's OLED, idk how much samsung QLED TV's cost.

LG C9 series OLED go easily above 1 lakh.

Avoid cheeni brands, no other features apart from el cheapo price.

Samsung QLEDs, except for the base models, are as expensive (or more) than LG OLEDs.

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Yeah, and its money well spent. The PQ upgrade is defintely much noticeable over my regular 4k LED. 

Did you get any extra warranty ? LG guys called again for 2 years extra official warranty, but at eye popping 70k or something for 2 years. One year is 40k+. 

Cost od TV and cost of 3 year warranty is almost comically similar. :puspa:

1 hour ago, playstationdude said:

Yeah, and its money well spent. The PQ upgrade is defintely much noticeable over my regular 4k LED. 

Did you get any extra warranty ? LG guys called again for 2 years extra official warranty, but at eye popping 70k or something for 2 years. One year is 40k+. 

8 minutes ago, dylanjosh said:

What do you guys do with old tvs?

Mine was working absolutely fine, and a very close relative wanted a TV, so we just gave it away. 

With an OLED, I don't see myself changing it unless the tech changes substantially. The panels have more or less remained similar from 2016 or 2017 onwards. 

Don't really care about VRR, so hopefully C8 should do fine for as long as it works/size seems small/mainstream content goes to 8k. 

5 minutes ago, adity said:

It either means they're making an absolute bomb on the warranty or they expect a very high failure rate after 2 years. Hopefully the former. 

I read somewhere that if a company is hell bent on selling you a warranty, most likely they are making a bomb on it and they don't expect high failure rates.

The new LG CX models are having a comparatively tough time. Reddit has a disproportionately high number of users having panel issues. In many places the C9 and CX are priced similarly or C9 is even priced a bit higher than CX. Weird. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

Hage TVs/panels become fragile? In my house there are about 5 Bravia TVs and except one which was bought in 2014, all of them are older than 2010. So even after 10 years, they work as great as a new TV.

If you're spending more than 1 lakh on a TV, then the least they can do is to make them durable. Otherwise those Chinese brands are the way to go!

1 hour ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Nope. They quoted like 90k for 2/3 years (dont remember) and I was like nope nope nope. 

I have the standard 2 year one that comes with it. Whats the point of spending 40k or 90k on warranty when the whole tv itself cost me 1.15l . Over time that model will only get cheaper.

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

Hage TVs/panels become fragile? In my house there are about 5 Bravia TVs and except one which was bought in 2014, all of them are older than 2010. So even after 10 years, they work as great as a new TV.

If you're spending more than 1 lakh on a TV, then the least they can do is to make them durable. Otherwise those Chinese brands are the way to go!

More thin = more fragile. 

And boy OLEDs are THIN AS f**k ! 

44 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

Nope. They quoted like 90k for 2/3 years (dont remember) and I was like nope nope nope. 

I have the standard 2 year one that comes with it. Whats the point of spending 40k or 90k on warranty when the whole tv itself cost me 1.15l . Over time that model will only get cheaper.

Same here. I told the guy also that the TV is just marginally costlier than the price of 3 year warranty. 

2 hours ago, adity said:

My LG dumb HD TV is going strong since 6 years. At my uncle's home there are 3 4k TVs - 1 LG and 2 Samsung. All of them failed in 2 years. Obviously anecdotal but I don't think these things are built to last. 

They normally replace the TV or the panel with the latest model if things go wrong. Not justifying, but this is what most folks on OLED subreddit seem to be claiming

1 minute ago, adity said:

They do replace in the warranty period. But what about after it? 

If you get the LG official extended warranty, it applies there as well.

I think I quoted the wrong post

Edited by l33tmaniac

49 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

They normally replace the TV or the panel with the latest model if things go wrong. Not justifying, but this is what most folks on OLED subreddit seem to be claiming

I'm sure the level of customer care is different in US and India. 

I doubt they will even listen to you here after the warranty is over unless you are willing to fork over moolah. 

4 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I'm sure the level of customer care is different in US and India. 

I doubt they will even listen to you here after the warranty is over unless you are willing to fork over moolah. 

They will either repair it or give you an opotion to pick a new TV at some marginal discount, LG has a really good after service in India. If it is a screen issue, you are anyway better off buying a new tv, if motherboard, price is generally Ok.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread