The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

Do reply on my TV issue but i need to use my console till i get a new TV. My monitor has 2 HDMI Ports So while my PC is on using one port can i safely use my console connecting it to the monitor using another port?

This maybe a noob question but seeing as i never done this my only worry is power from PC PSU circulating through the monitor and loading the console. So just asking do reply with a answer on this as well.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Root said:

I did a blunder and selected EMI on the bank (OTP) page instead of on Samsungs website. Just lost 9k nevertheless TV is amazing.

Hey, I am planning to buy from there too but waiting for FK to better this on BBD sale, if not I will buy this for sure. I may need your help in ordering. Will keep this in mind!

@AtheK or others - I have a Amazon ICICI card, do I get cashback for that card too on Samsung corporate website? they say HDFC and ICICI cards only. So I guess this should be fine. Also, if I get cashback, can I use it on amazon and still get 5% cashback?

I thought about it but how do it configure the DTH remote with it as the TV will be used to watch normal Tele stuff as well.

You can use HDMI cable to connect settop box. And use remote with the settop box.
  • Like 1

You can use HDMI cable to connect settop box. And use remote with the settop box.

I have used this on my flat when I didn’t have TV then. And worked great! Only downfall will be speakers of the monitor cannot be changed with remote. However the same can be easily fixed by connecting it to speakers which can be operated via remote

1 hour ago, dante77 said:

Hey, I am planning to buy from there too but waiting for FK to better this on BBD sale, if not I will buy this for sure. I may need your help in ordering. Will keep this in mind!

@AtheK or others - I have a Amazon ICICI card, do I get cashback for that card too on Samsung corporate website? they say HDFC and ICICI cards only. So I guess this should be fine. Also, if I get cashback, can I use it on amazon and still get 5% cashback?

Yes you should get cashback for all icici cards, until they have called out any specific card. Amazon yiu buy anything if it is prime you get 5% cashback as Amazon pay. 

• Like 1

To finalize my requirements and then put a list up to shortlist models, I'll be doing research on what is import for a 4k TV from now to next gen consoles. As far as a article I've seen on forbes, LG TVs have variable refresh rates but LG admitted that they are not working as intended for even their 2020 models, and tech chap youtuber was saying free sync and Variable Refresh Rate [VRR] are very important for smooth gaming. I was thinking of LG TVs as well is this a dealbreaker ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/09/02/lg-acknowledges-oled-tv-vrr-issuesbut-cant-promise-a-quick-fix/#5e8f929413af

This youtuber is saying an IPS panel is important than VA or TM panel, this might align with what tech chap said in his video that if we constantly play same games on OLEDs, then it will cause pixel burn-in like how samsung AMOLED panels have blue pixel burn-ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TJm8l-y90

3 minutes ago, adity said:

I've researched a lot about Oleds and burn in is not a concern for most people. They've really improved it with new models and even in older ones, burn is only really an issue with really extreme use cases. 

OLEDs also look so great so I don't think VRR issues are a deal breaker. 

Do keep in mind that LG Oled start at 55 inch and you can get the lower priced BX for around 1.1L in best case scenario. 

Oh i thought VRR is a standard among any size 43 inch 4k TVs. That is a technology for high end stuff? So what can i get something similar in 43 inch models ? Which are the top 3 most used 4K TVs by IVG gamers, i prefer asking here since all the models are india specific and will fulfil not just gaming needs but family specific needs like having some apps etc, having never owned a android TV i don't know if apps are necessary in this day and age.

Also it seems samsung is hell bent on using tizen while all rest are using android for TV, does the OS matter and make a huge difference ? And now i see TV having RAMs wtf, i didn't know that, 1GB RAM 2GB RAM does that affect console gaming ? Since i will be using the TV for PS5 gen consoles what RAM and internals should i look for.

Max budget still around 50k though.

HDMI 2.1 seems to be norm moving forward, any hidden gem of a 43 inch HDMI 2.1 TV that can be found here ? Samsung had a few models which were hdmi 2.0. Sony does not mention the HDMI version on their site and LG too has HMDI 2.0

Are there any HDMI 2.1 Samsung, sony, LG TVs 2020 models or models that are yet to be released this year and are 43 inch or less ?

Edited by NitroNeo

11 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

HDMI 2.1 seems to be norm moving forward, any hidden gem of a 43 inch HDMI 2.1 TV that can be found here ? Samsung had a few models which were hdmi 2.0. Sony does not mention the HDMI version on their site and LG too has HMDI 2.0

Are there any HDMI 2.1 Samsung, sony, LG TVs 2020 models or models that are yet to be released this year and are 43 inch or less ?

You won't be able to get HDMI 2.1 in this budget, that is still under adoption phase even for the high end TVs.

Also, I don't think anyone is expecting to go beyond 60 fps at 4k from Ps5/Series X which is the bandwidth limitation for HDMI 2.0. For the games which advertise 120fps, those are bound to be at less than 4k and hence will come under 2.0 limitations.

So HDMI 2.1 shouldn't be your deciding factor, it's nice to have but not a necessity.

Also ram wouldn't be a problem for gaming. It's more about how many apps you can have in the background and not actual video processing. So don't pay much attention to it. 

Now it would be hard to find a good set with VRR in this range. It can make your experience better but again, not a necessity. Those consoles will hardly go beyond 60fps and TV's native refresh rate of 60hz (I don't assume you will be able to get 120hz) should be a pro as it will suffer less of tearing. So don't mind this as much.

Only focus on panel and PQ in this range, then on other factors. At this range you should look at something like Hisense. But if you don't want Chinese brands then offerings from Samsung, LG, Sony will be lackluster in this range.

1 hour ago, adity said:

From my research there are only 3 options for 55 inch TVs

Less than 50k - get any of those cheeni brands. 

50k - 1L - Only Frame 2020 from corporate portal gives a reasonable price performance value. Everything else is useless. Sony is mostly 90k+ for decent sets and mot worth it imo

1L+ - LG OLED.

TV market is India is terrible for anyone looking to get a decent mid range set. It's either budget sh*t or high end. Midrange is mostly trash. 

Aree no like i said before i want 43 inch 4K TV. And yeah no chinese.

7 hours ago, dante77 said:

Sure thing. I purchased a month or so back they mentioned 31st July was the last day for cashback but they are still running it. Once you buy let me know I already have few doubts with my TV :D

• Like 1

Sure thing. I purchased a month or so back they mentioned 31st July was the last day for cashback but they are still running it. Once you buy let me know I already have few doubts with my TV [emoji3]
That makes me nervous lol.

Anyway. I'll probably buy around BBD sale which is probably around next month or so. Lets see. Although, if someone guarantees that BBD sale won't be able to beat this offer (72k) then I'll buy this right now lol.

4 minutes ago, dante77 said:

That makes me nervous lol.

Anyway. I'll probably buy around BBD sale which is probably around next month or so. Lets see. Although, if someone guarantees that BBD sale won't be able to beat this offer (72k) then I'll buy this right now lol.

Absolutely nothing to to be nervous about buddy.

If you look at previous years BBD deal and 72k cashback offer it is just matter of 2-3k. Plus this times amazon sale didn't give good cashback on cards so same might be followed by fk too.

Considering all these I was too impatient or you can call it excited and just purchased it. (that could be one reason I didn't select the right EMI option too.)

• Like 1

How important is internal storage, some TVs i like have below 1GB storage and some have 16 GB storage ?

I have a doubt about the eARC HDMI 2 port shown in picture, can i connect consoles or HD DTH box on this slot and will it work the same way as the normal HDMI slots? I have never seen such a slot and IDK what it's for.

TV-Doubt.jpg

Edited by NitroNeo

2 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

How important is internal storage, some TVs i like have below 1GB storage and some have 16 GB storage ?

I have a doubt about the eARC HDMI 2 port shown in picture, can i connect consoles or HD DTH box on this slot and will it work the same way as the normal HDMI slots? I have never seen such a slot and IDK what it's for.

TV-Doubt.jpg

1gb storage is nothing. Are you sure that it isn't a figure for the ram?  You won't be able to load any apps, no smart tv functionality. Heck, I don't think even OS will be able to run properly. 

Most of the TVs have 8/16gb even in this price range so I think you are mistaking this value for storage.

And eARC is just enhanced audio return channel i.e. higher bandwidth and better codec support for a single audio and video setup. In case you want ARC and want better sound quality to be sent over to a receiver or sound system without running an extra cable, you gotta plug that in into this port. Otherwise, use this port just like any other.

1gb storage is nothing. Are you sure that it isn't a figure for the ram?  You won't be able to load any apps, no smart tv functionality. Heck, I don't think even OS will be able to run properly. 
Most of the TVs have 8/16gb even in this price range so I think you are mistaking this value for storage.

And eARC is just enhanced audio return channel i.e. higher bandwidth and better codec support for a single audio and video setup. In case you want ARC and want better sound quality to be sent over to a receiver or sound system without running an extra cable, you gotta plug that in into this port. Otherwise, use this port just like any other.

Thanks for the hdmi clarification. As for the memory thing the LG UM7600 43 inch i liked. It has 600MB storage. It uses web OS. I don't know how the hell LG included such low storage.

Does anyone own a web os based LG 4k or FHD TV ? I wanted to ask if you use netflix etc can you connect a USB Drive to the TV and download the movie or tv show on it before playing it ?

Since the LG 43UM7600 has just 600MB internal storage i feel this is where having such low storage might cause a big problem. any other big problems caused due to lack of storage please post them it'd help me alot.

47 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Does anyone own a web os based LG 4k or FHD TV ? I wanted to ask if you use netflix etc can you connect a USB Drive to the TV and download the movie or tv show on it before playing it ?

Since the LG 43UM7600 has just 600MB internal storage i feel this is where having such low storage might cause a big problem. any other big problems caused due to lack of storage please post them it'd help me alot.

WebOS has matured like crazy. IMO, it is one of the best TV OSs right now (better than Android since I find the latter too cluttered), and gives a lag free experience. I would say the experience might depend on your storage and RAM too, so YMMV. 

I use a C8 - 8GB storage and I think 3 GB RAM, and have never seen any stutters or slowdowns. Apps are quick to boot, switch etc. UI is snappy. The storage is only used if you download multiple apps (and possibly cache etc). If you are going to use a Fire Stick or Android box, and will not be using in built apps, the storage hardly matters. I personally feel many apps have better PQ on native apps vs FS (Netflix is a prime example - very visible difference of colors on FS vs WebOS app), and hence my FS usage is very very low. 

Of course you can't download a movie via TV. You can play most formats via USB drive/disk on LG TVs (MKV, MP4 etc.). If the TV is HDR/DV enabled, all those will work too. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread