The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

After seeing this i don't think I'll buy LG OLED, i want to enjoy stress free gaming and not worry about bright games killing the TV. I fall into moderate to power gamer user category, i mostly play fall guys these days 4 hours on TV daily, i think that is a real bright game and i do play many anime or bright games, so that would roast the TV.

Now why do you guys hate X900H, i checked online from youtube to reddit users and reviewers seem happy about it, is that a sham? If not them any of you who observed X900H in action do let me know your thoughts, the picture quality Out of box etc, i don't think we have professional calliberators in india so we may as well need out of box settings to be great.

This is the problem with my sony W700C 32 inch tv, do you think it's burn in, i guess it had a oled panel

TV-Burnt.jpg

1 hour ago, NitroNeo said:

After seeing this i don't think I'll buy LG OLED, i want to enjoy stress free gaming and not worry about bright games killing the TV. I fall into moderate to power gamer user category, i mostly play fall guys these days 4 hours on TV daily, i think that is a real bright game and i do play many anime or bright games, so that would roast the TV.

Now why do you guys hate X900H, i checked online from youtube to reddit users and reviewers seem happy about it, is that a sham? If not them any of you who observed X900H in action do let me know your thoughts, the picture quality Out of box etc, i don't think we have professional calliberators in india so we may as well need out of box settings to be great.

This is the problem with my sony W700C 32 inch tv, do you think it's burn in, i guess it had a oled panel

TV-Burnt.jpg

Bro, just go on Rtings.com and search for the model number (ex: Sony X9000H, LG CX). You will get an in-depth overview for most of the models (not geo local models) like brightness, HDMI 2.1 scenario, out of the box scenario etc.

Edited by kunjanp

Bro, just go on Rtings.com and search for the model number (ex: Sony X9000H, LG CX). You will get an in-depth overview for most of the models (not geo local models) like brightness, HDMI 2.1 scenario, out of the box scenario etc.

Already done that bro. On rtings x900h is rated 8/10 and they have noce things to say about it. But adity told me it's not that good so i would like to know why he thought that and if anyone is using it here know first hand how the indian model is.

The western models always work good but the ones that ship here always seem to have some cheap underlying issues. Like bad panels out of box, a white line, light bleed. It's like companies try to make money of the models they want to discard by selling it to by their logic uninformed indian buyers.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

If you read the review you'll notice that the peak brightness is really nothing to talk home about. Read HDR scene peak brightness is ~500 nits which is pretty pathetic for a TV that costs 1L. Further, from what I read the TV also has fewer local dimming zones which causes blooming. I'm personally only looking at OLED so didn't dig deep but it seems pretty overpriced at the moment. It's a decent buy at 80k ish though. 
If you can get X950G, then get that. Doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but the oircture quality and HDR is really great. 

I sound like a broken record but once cross the 1L mark, you should just put in 10-20k more and get an OLED. LG Oled TVs are really, really good. 
But the FOMO guy said it well LG makes a gaming TV and then says burn in is not covered. Even though it's a natural occurrence for gamers using oled TVs.

What is the price at which i could get x900h max cheap?

If any of you want I can post a review on my experience with the LG C9 since last 1 year having completed around 3000 hours. I used it with PS4, Xbox One X and PC (via 2080 Super) for HDR gaming /movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, PSFooty7 said:

If any of you want I can post a review on my experience with the LG C9 since last 1 year having completed around 3000 hours. I used it with PS4, Xbox One X and PC (via 2080 Super) for HDR gaming /movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes please would be great from a power user

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-preps-huge-4k-hdmi-21-gaming-monitor-in-time-for-ps5-xbox-series-x

Asus Preps Huge 4K HDMI 2.1 Monitor in Time for PS5, Xbox Series X

In the press release, it mentioned that it is building 27-inch, 32-inch and 43-inch models, but didn't name them yet or reveal much besides the HDMI 2.1 spec. 

It's just hell right now as a TV buyer, just one hdmi 2.1 port on some 4ks, burn-in prone others and now you think i found the one i find this also found 2, 3 people reporting this, i don't know wtf to do, 6 months on all these TVs will be rip, though living without a TV for 6 months not possible, i don't get how companies make half assed products.

36 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

It's just hell right now as a TV buyer, just one hdmi 2.1 port on some 4ks, burn-in prone others and now you think i found the one i find this also found 2, 3 people reporting this, i don't know wtf to do, 6 months on all these TVs will be rip, though living without a TV for 6 months not possible, i don't get how companies make half assed products.

Don't worry so much man. If you get a faulty piece, Sony will replace it. 

I bought an LG C9 just after shops reopened during lockdown and got a faulty panel. It was a bit of a hassle, but even back then, got a new TV in two weeks. Things should be much better now irrespective of brand.

Don't worry so much man. If you get a faulty piece, Sony will replace it. 

I bought an LG C9 just after shops reopened during lockdown and got a faulty panel. It was a bit of a hassle, but even back then, got a new TV in two weeks. Things should be much better now irrespective of brand.
Thanks and you too adity. The local shop i go too is a good reliable one but unfortunately they have become LG pets, even though they say they are a samsung shop as well they contradict themselves saying aree samsung kyu le rahe ho LG lelo. If i persist on the sammy models i had mentioned q60r and q80t then they say they are facing some billing issues with samsung.

For sony they say sony ka parts nahi milta issliye hum rakhte nahi. Is this true? Are sony parts rare to obtain and are sony tvs very costly to get repaired compared to samsung and lg?

I am weary of buying anything from croma as most of the products me and my family bought from them turned out to be faulty . My cousin bought a sammy 2L 46 inch sammy tv 8 years back from them came with a panel with white lines then they did not do replacement even though it was 3 days old. Instead offered repair so they had to go through a 1 month hassle to get it replaced. Same goes for their AC they bought from croma. I hear vijay sales is iffy as well?

Reliance digital seems like an option. Sadly the go to sony center i had in my area was shut down last year. So if i go for a sony TV it will be annoying to find a good honest store.

I can't believe i jad to say that but most of the shops i see are seeing partially dead panel TVs buying cheap from company i guess l in the hope ill informed indian buyers fall for their scumary.

Also they get away with it. I just love how easy US retail is buying from amazon us is a joy. It's a shame india is down in the dumps for customer service.

1 minute ago, NitroNeo said:

Thanks and you too adity. The local shop i go too is a good reliable one but unfortunately they have become LG pets, even though they say they are a samsung shop as well they contradict themselves saying aree samsung kyu le rahe ho LG lelo. If i persist on the sammy models i had mentioned q60r and q80t then they say they are facing some billing issues with samsung.

For sony they say sony ka parts nahi milta issliye hum rakhte nahi. Is this true? Are sony parts rare to obtain and are sony tvs very costly to get repaired compared to samsung and lg?

I am weary of buying anything from croma as most of the products me and my family bought from them turned out to be faulty . My cousin bought a sammy 2L 46 inch sammy tv 8 years back from them came with a panel with white lines then they did not do replacement even though it was 3 days old. Instead offered repair so they had to go through a 1 month hassle to get it replaced. Same goes for their AC they bought from croma. I hear vijay sales is iffy as well?

Reliance digital seems like an option. Sadly the go to sony center i had in my area was shut down last year. So if i go for a sony TV it will be annoying to find a good honest store.

I can't believe i jad to say that but most of the shops i see are seeing partially dead panel TVs buying cheap from company i guess l in the hope ill informed indian buyers fall for their scumary.

Also they get away with it. I just love how easy US retail is buying from amazon us is a joy. It's a shame india is down in the dumps for customer service.

I've generally found Samsung and LG service to be good. No clue about Sony honestly, but Sony TVs are more expensive in general, so may not be surprised if parts availability is an issue. 

Why dont you buy the TV from shopatsc.com if your local Sony center is closed? That or Reliance Digital should also be fine.

Also with regard to repair vs replace, it depends on the component that is faulty. I agree that the replacement policy in the west is much better, but Indians are known to scam a lot and companies are generally wary. So a lot of times they try to repair rather than replace. Has nothing to do with where you buy from.

• Like 1

LG C9 OLED TV review

I got the 55" LG C9 during last years Diwali sale at ₹1.19 lacs after cash back with 3 years of warranty. The main reason I had to purchase this was my older 46” Sony LED TV dying and no panel replacement being available. The main uses for the TV were watching movies/TV and gaming. There was no DTH attached during the entire duration.

First off some general advice about OLEDs:

• It's not advisable to go with OLED if you plan to watch DTH on it. I have seen first hand at a showroom what it does and it's not pretty. The DTH provider logo will undoubtedly burn in, it's just a matter of when. I use my TV exclusively with streaming apps, gaming and PC
  • The source matters a lot for the TV to perform at its best and its ideal to view native 4k content or upscale via Madvr on PC. Low bitrate content will expose its flaws on this TV (looking at you hotstar).
  • The room lighting condition will impact your viewing experience. You should ideally setup the TV in a light controllable room so that reflection / glare is not a problem and you can lower the OLED backlight levels.
  • The sound quality on these thin TVs is passable but a dedicated sound solution will enhance your experience.

Now coming on to the performance:

SDR movies: Until 4K becomes fully mainstream in India, most of us will have access to 1080p standard definition content and the TV performs admirably in this regard. The black bars disappear into the darkness giving you an immersive picture. It's significantly better than LED-LCD due to the simple fact of pixel level luminance control. After watching movies on this thing other displays feel lackluster. I have a Sony 1080p LED in another room and it feels like movies lose their gloss on it.

HDR movies: Watching these was the main reason for going with OLED. The perfect blacks have added new dimension to the experience. While the brightness may not be the highest when compared to QLEDs, it helps elevate the overall picture in contrast with deep blacks. In a completely dark room it is difficult not to be blown away by the image quality. Non-blooming subtitles is a big deal here as in case of LEDs the white subtitles leave a residual light on the screen which is really distracting in a dark room. On a special note, older movies with HDR look jaw dropping in particular. Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus and Blade Runner are prime example of what can be done with proper remastering.

Gaming: The gaming performance was a really great surprise for me. I knew about the fast response times and G-sync support but watching it in action was something else. On my 500GB base PS4 I was trying out old titles just to see how much better they can look. Uncharted 4, Infamous, The Last of Us Remastered etc are quite old games in today's age but they looked splendid in HDR. Newer titles like RDR2 on One X, God of War/TLOU2 on PS4 and the newer Assassin's creed /Far Cry games on PC are standouts in HDR. 1440p @120 fps runs very well with G-Sync in visually taxing games like Control, Modern Warfare, Shadow of Tomb Raider etc.

One thing I would say about Nvidia drivers is that every so often they would release some drivers which would bork the HDR on Windows and then I would have to revert to older drivers till it got fixed in the next month or two.

As this was my primary display hooked to all my devices it went through a lot of usage and as of writing this it has clocked in 2856 hours in 1 year which is way more than usual for any normal user.

The Burn-in question: I have not seen any signs of burn in on my unit and I have used it for a variety of content like web browsing, YouTube, movies , gaming etc. I have over 200 hours in Red Read Redemption 2 on Xbox One X with HDR and all static HUD display elements enabled for majority of the hours until I changed it to dynamic later on. While browsing with chrome I must have logged in 500 plus hours( in dark mode of course) and there was no image retention.

These instances do not guarantee that it will remain burn-in free but rather drive home the fact that under normal usage scenarios burn in is unlikely to happen.

If you play FIFA for 10 hrs a day for 6 months then yes burn in will happen.

If you leave the TV idle on a bright static image everyday for a year then burn in will happen.

Burn in is cumulative so if you display the same bright image cumulatively for 2000 hours then it will happen.

The point I am trying to make is if regulating and monitoring your viewing habits is not something you would want to stress over, go for an LED otherwise the choice is clear.

Some other tidbits:

• WebOS is the best TV OS for me for the performance of its native apps. Yes, it has its fair share of problems like LG not giving newer WebOS versions to older TVs and newer apps coming later than Android but they all work so seamlessly and fluidly that you cant really complain.
  • The Sony TVs with X1 Ultimate chip will have better motion processing to the extend of 5-10% compared to LG. On rest of the parameters LG is on par or better.
  • Panel lottery is indeed real with some panels having horrific banding issues but unless the banding is significant it won't be noticeable to the untrained eye.
  • Avsforum and hifivision are great sites for understanding the tech involved in TVs and Indian user opinions/reviews respectively.

Feel free to ask any questions. I think the post got longer than I intended, sorry. If you want me to give specific information about anything stated here do let me know.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, PSFooty7 said:

LG C9 OLED TV review

I got the 55" LG C9 during last years Diwali sale at ₹1.19 lacs after cash back with 3 years of warranty. The main reason I had to purchase this was my older 46” Sony LED TV dying and no panel replacement being available. The main uses for the TV were watching movies/TV and gaming. There was no DTH attached during the entire duration.

First off some general advice about OLEDs:

• It's not advisable to go with OLED if you plan to watch DTH on it. I have seen first hand at a showroom what it does and it's not pretty. The DTH provider logo will undoubtedly burn in, it's just a matter of when. I use my TV exclusively with streaming apps, gaming and PC
  • The source matters a lot for the TV to perform at its best and its ideal to view native 4k content or upscale via Madvr on PC. Low bitrate content will expose its flaws on this TV (looking at you hotstar).
  • The room lighting condition will impact your viewing experience. You should ideally setup the TV in a light controllable room so that reflection / glare is not a problem and you can lower the OLED backlight levels.
  • The sound quality on these thin TVs is passable but a dedicated sound solution will enhance your experience.

Now coming on to the performance:

SDR movies: Until 4K becomes fully mainstream in India, most of us will have access to 1080p standard definition content and the TV performs admirably in this regard. The black bars disappear into the darkness giving you an immersive picture. It's significantly better than LED-LCD due to the simple fact of pixel level luminance control. After watching movies on this thing other displays feel lackluster. I have a Sony 1080p LED in another room and it feels like movies lose their gloss on it.

HDR movies: Watching these was the main reason for going with OLED. The perfect blacks have added new dimension to the experience. While the brightness may not be the highest when compared to QLEDs, it helps elevate the overall picture in contrast with deep blacks. In a completely dark room it is difficult not to be blown away by the image quality. Non-blooming subtitles is a big deal here as in case of LEDs the white subtitles leave a residual light on the screen which is really distracting in a dark room. On a special note, older movies with HDR look jaw dropping in particular. Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus and Blade Runner are prime example of what can be done with proper remastering.

Gaming: The gaming performance was a really great surprise for me. I knew about the fast response times and G-sync support but watching it in action was something else. On my 500GB base PS4 I was trying out old titles just to see how much better they can look. Uncharted 4, Infamous, The Last of Us Remastered etc are quite old games in today's age but they looked splendid in HDR. Newer titles like RDR2 on One X, God of War/TLOU2 on PS4 and the newer Assassin's creed /Far Cry games on PC are standouts in HDR. 1440p @120 fps runs very well with G-Sync in visually taxing games like Control, Modern Warfare, Shadow of Tomb Raider etc.

One thing I would say about Nvidia drivers is that every so often they would release some drivers which would bork the HDR on Windows and then I would have to revert to older drivers till it got fixed in the next month or two.

As this was my primary display hooked to all my devices it went through a lot of usage and as of writing this it has clocked in 2856 hours in 1 year which is way more than usual for any normal user.

The Burn-in question: I have not seen any signs of burn in on my unit and I have used it for a variety of content like web browsing, YouTube, movies , gaming etc. I have over 200 hours in Red Read Redemption 2 on Xbox One X with HDR and all static HUD display elements enabled for majority of the hours until I changed it to dynamic later on. While browsing with chrome I must have logged in 500 plus hours( in dark mode of course) and there was no image retention.

These instances do not guarantee that it will remain burn-in free but rather drive home the fact that under normal usage scenarios burn in is unlikely to happen.

If you play FIFA for 10 hrs a day for 6 months then yes burn in will happen.

If you leave the TV idle on a bright static image everyday for a year then burn in will happen.

Burn in is cumulative so if you display the same bright image cumulatively for 2000 hours then it will happen.

The point I am trying to make is if regulating and monitoring your viewing habits is not something you would want to stress over, go for an LED otherwise the choice is clear.

Some other tidbits:

• WebOS is the best TV OS for me for the performance of its native apps. Yes, it has its fair share of problems like LG not giving newer WebOS versions to older TVs and newer apps coming later than Android but they all work so seamlessly and fluidly that you cant really complain.
  • The Sony TVs with X1 Ultimate chip will have better motion processing to the extend of 5-10% compared to LG. On rest of the parameters LG is on par or better.
  • Panel lottery is indeed real with some panels having horrific banding issues but unless the banding is significant it won't be noticeable to the untrained eye.
  • Avsforum and hifivision are great sites for understanding the tech involved in TVs and Indian user opinions/reviews respectively.

Feel free to ask any questions. I think the post got longer than I intended, sorry. If you want me to give specific information about anything stated here do let me know.

Very well put. Mine(C9) is about 11 months now, 2176 hours. No sign of burn in yet.

Usage is PS4, Netflix/Prime/Hotstar/Youtube.

@NitroNeo

For somebody who worries as much as you do (no judgement, these are expensive sh*t), I would not recommend OLED.
Burn in is a real, albeit not too likely, possibility. And buying an OLED means you have to accept that possibility. No point of that superior image quality if you are always too stressed out to enjoy it.

Go with the Sony x8 or x9 series, or the Samsung QLEDs (q8 preferably). At the end of the day, the best picture quality for you will be the one you’ve got at home.

Edited by quixote_1989

Very well put. Mine(C9) is about 11 months now, 2176 hours. No sign of burn in yet.
Usage is PS4, Netflix/Prime/Hotstar/Youtube.

[mention=9246]NitroNeo[/mention]
For somebody who worries as much as you do (no judgement, these are expensive sh*t), I would not recommend OLED.
Burn in is a real, albeit not too likely, possibility. And buying an OLED means you have to accept that possibility. No point of that superior image quality if you are always too stressed out to enjoy it.

Go with the Sony x8 or x9 series, or the Samsung QLEDs (q8 preferably). At the end of the day, the best picture quality for you will be the one you’ve got at home.
Well put. But on oled do you play 4+ hours of bright games like fall guys daily? That game is bright as hell.

2 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Well put. But on oled do you play 4+ hours of bright games like fall guys daily? That game is bright as hell.

Well I have played varied games over the past year. About 7-8 hours a week, sometimes more (weak numbers, I know).No one game consistently.

And I have my OLED light turned up high, 75-80, which is not advised.

But my suggestion for you remains, don't get an OLED. Go for Sony or Samsung higher end model, it will be pretty good still and you won't have to worry about burn in.

And you will find some negative experience online for every single popular model out there. Sometimes, bad luck is just bad luck, no point obsessing over it.

Check Rtings and prepare a shortlist and then(if at all possible) visit stores to check the image quality out in person. Pick the one you prefer most, keep it simple.

Well I have played varied games over the past year. About 7-8 hours a week, sometimes more (weak numbers, I know).No one game consistently.
And I have my OLED light turned up high, 75-80, which is not advised.

But my suggestion for you remains, don't get an OLED. Go for Sony or Samsung higher end model, it will be pretty good still and you won't have to worry about burn in.
And you will find some negative experience online for every single popular model out there. Sometimes, bad luck is just bad luck, no point obsessing over it.

Check Rtings and prepare a shortlist and then(if at all possible) visit stores to check the image quality out in person. Pick the one you prefer most, keep it simple.
That does make me think you too took care of your oled by playing less [emoji1]. I'll check x900h and q80t but q80t seems quite costly at 1.5L for 55 inch. What is it's ideal price?

Can't spend more than 1.2L which adity told me is the standard LG CX price. So i figure that is a good basepoint if we can get the best TV for that no need to go higher for my purchase.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread