The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

4 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

Both LG C9 and CX are shown to have poor colour calibratiom out of the box and after a pro calibrator calibrates it it becomes great.

Do we have pro-cibrators in mumbai or we have to do it oursves? Can we do that easily and without voiding the warranty?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Extremely poor calibration, bro. In fact, they look black and white out of the box. 

You need a pro calibrator just to enable the colors, and a PRO PRO calibrator to get the best out of the panel. 

• Haha 2

Just follow calibration setting from rting as baseline i think you jumping on many things even before you have made the purchase since you have not been using 55 the moment you see it you will find everything very good give time and change to your likings 

• Like 1

Where did you find this nugget of wisdom?  This is what rtings review says. 8.3/10 pre calibration.  "The LG CX OLED has great out-of-the-box color accuracy, much better than the LG C9 OLED. Most colors are slightly inaccurate, but it's hard to notice. The color temperature is warmer than the 6500K target, so colors have a red/yellow tint to them. Overall, the gamma follows the target fairly well, but dark scenes are too dark and some bright scenes are too bright."  

Idk if i mixed up a model with CX but i was sure i saw 7.3 for CX pre-cal on rtings and 7.5 for C9.   

The color temperature is warmer than the 6500K target, so colors have a red/yellow tint to them. Overall, the gamma follows the target fairly well, but dark scenes are too dark and some bright scenes are too bright."

Anything that we can do to remove tint or make the dark scenes give more details instead of crushing them? I saw dirt 5 running on LG CX and it was impossible to make out many thing in datk night environment. Last of us at night seemed to hide few details in dark corners as well.  

Check dirt 5 night gameplay

Extremely poor calibration, bro. In fact, they look black and white out of the box. 
You need a pro calibrator just to enable the colors, and a PRO PRO calibrator to get the best out of the panel. 
Chill bruh no one's hating on your brand. These TVs are costly and I'll try to make sure i make a informed purchase. Panel prices are making me scared. One person here said his daughter broke a TV panel one person online said his dog broke his TV panel. And companies won't cover that part.

So coming from a 32 inch TV this is quite the big jump from me financially.

14 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Chill bruh no one's hating on your brand. These TVs are costly and I'll try to make sure i make a informed purchase. Panel prices are making me scared. One person here said his daughter broke a TV panel one person online said his dog broke his TV panel. And companies won't cover that part.

So coming from a 32 inch TV this is quite the big jump from me financially.

Just trolling, bro. 

It's not my brand, I wish. Lol. 

It's obvious nobody will cover broken panels, and it's pretty common knowledge that for most TVs, panels will constitute 70-80% of the overall TV cost. Keep that number in mind whatever TV you purchase.

It's been months since you've been looking for a TV. If you overthink every single point, you'll never be able to buy one. 

Roll with whatever you can buy. Unless you're comparing 2 TVs side by side, you will be happy with whatever you buy. 

• Like 3

Tapatalk not allowing me to post 2 youtube videos in my previous comment.

Here is the last of us night scene. Couldn't find a direct x900h dark scene comparision so just had to settle for this video

Just trolling, bro. 
It's not my brand, I wish. Lol. 
It's obvious nobody will cover broken panels, and it's pretty common knowledge that for most TVs, panels will constitute 70-80% of the overall TV cost. Keep that number in mind whatever TV you purchase.
It's been months since you've been looking for a TV. If you overthink every single point, you'll never be able to buy one. 
Roll with whatever you can buy. Unless you're comparing 2 TVs side by side, you will be happy with whatever you buy. 
I was going to buy sony x900h or lg cx whatever one that i got cheapest. But them yesterday the bravia subreddit got filled with x900h users complaining that the recent hdmi 2.1 update turns off their TV and sends it into a reboot loop turns out for many it's turning off the backlight.

People are even just saying whatever happened to the days when TVs simply worked.

For me this is the same sentiment. Smart TVs seem dumber than a CRT. Even monitors are easy to buy.

These companies purposefully give a half baked product and we are like oh i want this from that TV but this doesn't exist there so i have to look into another TV but it doesn't have this important thing.

Here is what i love about each

Sony amazing accurate colors with tints. In some cases i see dull whiteish tint but idk if youtubers keep high contrast that causes that.

LG CX great TV with working hdmi 2.1 functionality hassle free. But it has an annoying slightly bluish tint.

Samsung Q90T good TV but a warm purpulish Tint that seems to be there for ages now.

I frankly nade up my mind to buy whatever the cheapest i can find among these but the sony firmware update issue came out of nowhere like a curveball to the nuts. It is widely spread as well too many users reporting it.

For foreigners the replacement policies and after service are great they are even talking about teplacing the TV with another different model.

Here in india we are the money makers for companies they'll give us faulty products and then say you will just get it repaired even for a new purchase and we have to hussle so much to get a replacement.

Pretty lame by sony can't even do proper software updates when their new console lauches in 3 weeks and their advertised TV can't keep up.

11 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Tapatalk not allowing me to post 2 youtube videos in my previous comment.

Here is the last of us night scene. Couldn't find a direct x900h dark scene comparision so just had to settle for this video

All these things are super biased. 

Change the OLED light, brightness settings etc, and you'll see differences. 

Different PQ modes will look differently. For example, for viewing most movies, you can chose ISM mode or similar named mode, and you'll see close to what the film makers made. 

Chose your budget, chose your tech, including HDMI version etc, chose your size, and just get one. 

The YouTube videos will confuse you for the next 10 years, and you won't be able to make a decision. 

5 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

I was going to buy sony x900h or lg cx whatever one that i got cheapest. But them yesterday the bravia subreddit got filled with x900h users complaining that the recent hdmi 2.1 update turns off their TV and sends it into a reboot loop turns out for many it's turning off the backlight.

People are even just saying whatever happened to the days when TVs simply worked.

For me this is the same sentiment. Smart TVs seem dumber than a CRT. Even monitors are easy to buy.

These companies purposefully give a half baked product and we are like oh i want this from that TV but this doesn't exist there so i have to look into another TV but it doesn't have this important thing.

Sony amazing accurate colors with tints. In some cases i see dull whiteish tint but idk if youtubers keep high contrast that causes that.

LG CX great TV with working hdmi 2.1 functionality hassle free. But it has an annoying slightly bluish tint.

Samsung Q90T good TV but a warm purpulish Tint that seems to be there for ages now.

I frankly nade up my mind to buy whatever the cheapest i can find among these but the sony firmware update issue came out of nowhere like a curveball to the nuts. It is widely spread as well too many users reporting it.

For foreigners the replacement policies and after service are great they are even talking about teplacing the TV with another different model.

Here in india we are the money makers for companies they'll give us faulty products and then say you will just get it repaired even for a new purchase and we have to hussle so much to get a replacement.

Pretty lame by sony can't even do proper software updates when their new console lauches in 3 weeks and their advertised TV can't keep up.

Just take a 4k HDR movie on a pen drive, play it on the showroom models (make sure settings are correct as most showrooms will boost colors for TVs with higher margins, to make them look better). 

Chose what you want. 

Always take these videos and tints discussions with a pinch of salt. Every panel is different. 

4 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Bro, just choose a decent model based on your budget and requirements and get it. You are looking into every nook and cranny, this way you won't find any TV. 

At this rate I think you won't be able to decide till 2021 and then new sets will be out and you will be confused even further.

Don't keep on searching reddit. There are many people for whom x900H is working just fine after the update.

I'm going to go check tvs today apart from the pen drive movie test Birdx3 mentioned what tests can i do to check the TVs gaming wise. Consoles won't be there i guess so anyway i can check for gaming performance?

17 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

I'm going to go check tvs today apart from the pen drive movie test Birdx3 mentioned what tests can i do to check the TVs gaming wise. Consoles won't be there i guess so anyway i can check for gaming performance?

If its croma or RD they always have a ps4 on demo, maybe ask them to hook that up to the TV? 

Else download some 4k hdr gaming trailers , that is all I can think of.

Edited by playstationdude
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Take the Xbox one X if you have one, easy to hook up.. back then I had taken the PS3 to tv store itself :P to buy an LCD

I went to check out the TVs today, for RD quoted Sony X90H at 98k , LG CX at 1.45k with 9k cashback on emi payments making it 1.36k

Here are my views on them i loved sony colors but the screen was taking so much reflections i am worried if a led tube-light at home will cause the same effect, LG CX had amazing colors and the samsung Q90t i saw at kohinoor was ok same warm colors and a dark warm faint violetish tint.

Thanks to Bird, i took the best movie i had a Full HD 1080p 16 GB Avengers, it had DTS audio sony played it like a champ but LG and samsung were chumps, they couldn't recognize the DTS audio, i was like WTF, and just saw after coming home that in one video quantam TV pointed out LG CX can't play X265, HEVC too, seriously is this true, alot of the new content like anime are in this format WTF my future big TV can't play that.

After controlling the new TV rush i feel like None of the 3 TVs are worth the price companies put on them, even the paid of the teletubers have one point in common about all of these big TVs, that they are not good as their last years flagship, i wonder how the phone market is pressured to keep raising the bar while same people who make that phones lower the bar each year.

For eg. X900E/F is better than X900H [smoothgradation removed on H], C9 has full 48GB HDMI 2.1 bandwidth and CX just 40GB which as per quantum TV will limit growth of dolby vision improved content of future, and seriously if X265 is not supported idk wtf is LG thinking. Lastly samsung q90/95t is a upgrade to Q80R and not the Q90R like you would think, it's the same for all their Q series line this year.

It's like the time my PC broke and i had to become a early adapter of skylake with all it's buggy glory, buying a TV this year is crap, i can blame 2020 for it but when the frak did companies decide "Oh hey let's make crap TVs it's 2020 so we safe bois"

I am so pissed right now with these half baked costly POS TVs I'd break the panels on the Respective companie's heads.

Edited by NitroNeo

41 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

I went to check out the TVs today, for RD quoted Sony X90H at 98k , LG CX at 1.45k with 9k cashback on emi payments making it 1.36k

Here are my views on them i loved sony colors but the screen was taking so much reflections i am worried if a led tube-light at home will cause the same effect, LG CX had amazing colors and the samsung Q90t i saw at kohinoor was ok same warm colors and a dark warm faint violetish tint.

Thanks to Bird, i took the best movie i had a Full HD 1080p 16 GB Avengers, it had DTS audio sony played it like a champ but LG and samsung were chumps, they couldn't recognize the DTS audio, i was like WTF, and just saw after coming home that in one video quantam TV pointed out LG CX can't play X265, HEVC too, seriously is this true, alot of the new content like anime are in this format WTF my future big TV can't play that.

After controlling the new TV rush i feel like None of the 3 TVs are worth the price companies put on them, even the paid of the teletubers have one point in common about all of these big TVs, that they are not good as their last years flagship, i wonder how the phone market is pressured to keep raising the bar while same people who make that phones lower the bar each year.

For eg. X900E/F is better than X900H [smoothgradation removed on H], C9 has full 48GB HDMI 2.1 bandwidth and CX just 40GB which as per quantum TV will limit growth of dolby vision improved content of future, and seriously if X265 is not supported idk wtf is LG thinking. Lastly samsung q90/95t is a upgrade to Q80R and not the Q90R like you would think, it's the same for all their Q series line this year.

Eh ? You can play HEVC, H265 etc on LG OLEDs. I play them all the time (C8). 

Eh ? You can play HEVC, H265 etc on LG OLEDs. I play them all the time (C8). 
Check if you can play DTS and FLAC audio. On CX those are missing from supported list.

FLAC is the absolute best audio codex IIRC it is the industry standard for raw audio recording and you get the best of sound from it.

Is any CX user here ? Can you please teat if you can play the following formats

Video - X265 (not X264), HEVC, VP9

Audio - FLAC, DTS

NB: ( i did check DTS on CX with 1080p Avengers movie, maybe those tvs didn't play audio for this movie) try it with other DTS and FLAC audio on the CX.

13 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Check if you can play DTS and FLAC audio. On CX those are missing from supported list.

FLAC is the absolute best audio codex IIRC it is the industry standard for raw audio recording and you get the best of sound from it.

Is any CX user here ? Can you please teat if you can play the following formats

Video - X265 (not X264), HEVC, VP9

Audio - FLAC, DTS

NB: ( i did check DTS on CX with 1080p Avengers movie, maybe those tvs didn't play audio for this movie) try it with other DTS and FLAC audio on the CX.

No. There's no native support for DTS or FLAC. Who plays FLAC on their TVs ? 

The only "hifi" audio support is Dolby Atmos. 

You can always use a dedicated receiver to get DTS/DTS:X etc if using a bluray player. 

Videos, zero issues. I play HEVC bluray remuxes with bitrates of 70 Mbps+ without hiccups via USB. 

Also plays VP9 content flawlessly. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread