The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

2 hours ago, DinJo said:

The amount of detailing on picture quality and audio in this thread :wacko: don't be surprised if you keep playing those poor quality encodes for your movie watching 

Yeah. Lol. 

At that level of nitpicking, one can never buy anything. 

• Like 1

@Nitroneo

You are overanalyzing things. I can relate cause I have done the same thing in the past for a couple of purchases. 

1. Audio in TVs these days ranges from okay-ish to crap. Simply because they don't have the space for speakers. If you want good sound, you will need a sound system irrespective of the TV you go for

2. Even back in 2011, when there were problems with my Samsung TV, replacing a panel was cost prohibitive unless you were covered by warranty, and that was an LCD TV

3. Choose a budget and buy the TV you like best. There is no perfect TV, like there is no perfect phone, or car or pretty much anything. 

• Like 1

You can't call it nitpicking when the formats i play daily are not supported by a costly TV. Sure FLAC is a rare play but X265, DTS, HEVC are regulars, especially x265.

Adity when you get the TV installed please do check playibg these formats. I won't be going to any showrooms soon until i get my TV table which will take a few days maybe because of pandemic so I'd love to get the feedback from the end user.

And i didn't call LG crap for it's PQ. It is just that LG offers 12-bit content full 48GBps on the C9 and for such a costly TV like CX it's not futureproof.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Btw here is the full list of codecs supported by LG TVs.

Nowhere i can see X265 and FLAC and here are the most important things they mention.

ATTENTION: Your ULTRA HD TV may not support HEVC encoded contents that are not officially supplied by LG.

[sure LG i have the free time to check which content you officially support instead of things just working out of the box]

● File size limit is dependent on the encoding environment.

● Works only if above is a version of Windows Media Audio V7.

● Does not support AAC Main Profile.

● Video files created by some encoders may not be played back.

● Video files in formats other than the ones specified here may not be played back.

● Playback of video files stored on the USB storage device that do not support High Speed,

may not work properly.

● TV supports DTS audio codec when USB/HDMI video file playback offers it.

● The VP9 video codec may not be supported depending on the model.

Link: they show supported codecs as well and again X265 a regular popular standard for most content these days is not shown in the list.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437128842789

28 minutes ago, adity said:

Calling LG CX pos crap TV is hilarious. 40 gb/s HDMI 2.1 is more than enough for 10 bit display at 4k 120. The extra 8 is needed for 12 bit 4k 120 which is just impractical. I saw the TV once and f**king bought it, lol. Perfect response times, infinite contrast ratio, 3 years comprehensive warranty, etc. 

I'll post impressions once I get it installated but it's so slim. Like slimmer than even my phone I think. 

It is SLIM. LOL. 

Be VERY careful when handling it as I have read horror stories that the panel can crack with just a tad bit on extra pressure on the sides. The G chaps are extremely professional when mounting it, but I baby the TV when changing orientation or accessing the back panel HDMI, Optical etc. It is fragile. 

3 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Btw here is the full list of codecs supported by LG TVs.

Nowhere i can see X265 and FLAC and here are the most important things they mention.

ATTENTION: Your ULTRA HD TV may not support HEVC encoded contents that are not officially supplied by LG.

[sure LG i have the free time to check which content you officially support instead of things just working out of the box]

● File size limit is dependent on the encoding environment.

● Works only if above is a version of Windows Media Audio V7.

● Does not support AAC Main Profile.

● Video files created by some encoders may not be played back.

● Video files in formats other than the ones specified here may not be played back.

● Playback of video files stored on the USB storage device that do not support High Speed,

may not work properly.

● TV supports DTS audio codec when USB/HDMI video file playback offers it.

● The VP9 video codec may not be supported depending on the model.

Link: they show supported codecs as well and again X265 a regular popular standard for most content these days is not shown in the list.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437128842789

X265 is the encoder library, H265/HEVC is the final codec - they play fine on LG OLEDs. 

Again, I don't know a single person who plays FLAC on their TVs - don't you need audiophile grade DAC, AMP and headphones to enjoy FLAC ?

X265 is the encoder library, H265/HEVC is the final codec - they play fine on LG OLEDs. 

Again, I don't know a single person who plays FLAC on their TVs - don't you need audiophile grade DAC, AMP and headphones to enjoy FLAC ?
I'll be upgrading my headset after i get the ps5. Maybe to something like hyperx cloud alpha. When i play flac on pc the difference is highly noticable from a standard 320kbps mp3. The thump is amazing and the sound just moves smoothly like a drink poured in a fine curved glass.

4 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

I'll be upgrading my headset after i get the ps5. Maybe to something like hyperx cloud alpha. When i play flac on pc the difference is highly noticable from a standard 320kbps mp3. The thump is amazing and the sound just moves smoothly like a drink poured in a fine curved glass.

Wait till 2021.

• Haha 2

@NitroNeo

You've been leaning towards the Sony for a while, and it seems to have the least egregious problems per your use case. Just get that.

You can't go wrong with a Sony tv.

Also, with an OLED, I totally foresee you going nuts with burn-in worries post purchase. Not worth it.

Whatever contrast/color superiority OLED may have, it won't matter unless you are comparing both side by side. The best PQ is always the one you have at home.

1 minute ago, playstationdude said:

Lol no idea. I didn't nit pick so much while buying a tv. OLED was a dream purchase for me as well considering the cost, but the PQ made it totally worth the price.

Same, I was over the moon just because I managed to buy one :lol:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nathan.Drake said:

Guys i went to croma east of kailash (Delhi) branch and enquired the price of cx 55”

they quoted 1.25 + bank offers (~10k cashback on hdfc) 

though they didnt sound too confident to me.

Yeah, they quoted the same to me too but hawa hawa me, assuming that maybe I am bluffing or whatever.

When they seriously quoted me the final price, it was 1.3L after cashback.

2 hours ago, Nathan.Drake said:

Guys i went to croma east of kailash (Delhi) branch and enquired the price of cx 55”

they quoted 1.25 + bank offers (~10k cashback on hdfc) 

though they didnt sound too confident to me.

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Yeah, they quoted the same to me too but hawa hawa me, assuming that maybe I am bluffing or whatever.

When they seriously quoted me the final price, it was 1.3L after cashback.

If you're is South Delhi, you may want to check out prices with Pankaj Electronics in Yusuf Sarai if you can. Usually offers competitive rates better than Croma and RD.

8 minutes ago, playstationdude said:

If you're is South Delhi, you may want to check out prices with Pankaj Electronics in Yusuf Sarai if you can. Usually offers competitive rates better than Croma and RD.

Will do. 

It's so tiring visiting these places again and again. Just give me the best price straight away.

Also, HDFC is offering 15% cashback upto 15k on Sony and 17.5% upto 15k on LG.

Don't let any Croma/RD guy tell you otherwise.

He told me that it's just 6k but this offer is readily available in Vijay Sales (I confirmed from my friend over in HDFC) and ends up providing the best price.

Now will visit this Yusuf sarai place and that's it. Gonna buy at whatever is the best price next week.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread