The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

My sony 1080p tv just kinda died. The last working hdmi port is malfunctioning too. 

Kindly suggest a new 40-55" tv. I do plan to get both ps5 and xsx but let's say i will play around 20-40 hours per month max. Don't think I'd need 120 hz as i usually play single player with max quality the game has to offer.

Budget is not an issue but would love to keep it as low as possible as i don't have time to watch tv or play :wacko: and it will mostly be used by family for tata sky

2 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Will do. 

It's so tiring visiting these places again and again. Just give me the best price straight away.

Also, HDFC is offering 15% cashback upto 15k on Sony and 17.5% upto 15k on LG.

Don't let any Croma/RD guy tell you otherwise.

He told me that it's just 6k but this offer is readily available in Vijay Sales (I confirmed from my friend over in HDFC) and ends up providing the best price.

Now will visit this Yusuf sarai place and that's it. Gonna buy at whatever is the best price next week.

Local store said it's capped at 9k for HDFC CC. Also, he told me it's 12.5% on LG for C9/CX. I found this on LG website.

Up to 15% Cash Back Offer: Cash back offer of 15% applicable on all channels (Max Rs. 15000) valid on Purchase of OLED 77C9, 86/75SM94 for purchase made from 1st Jul'20 - 31st Jul'20. Cash back offer of 12.5% on Brand Shop (Max Rs. 9000) and 10% (Max Rs. 7500) on other channel valid on select OLED

15k is vaild for select models, CX/C9 don't fall under that bracket. Check more at link below, there's bit of miscommunication from the sales rep at Vijay Sales I believe.

https://www.lg.com/in/offers/home-entertainment

Edited by Kushagra

59 minutes ago, Kushagra said:

Local store said it's capped at 9k for HDFC CC. Also, he told me it's 12.5% on LG for C9/CX. I found this on LG website.

15k is vaild for select models, CX/C9 don't fall under that bracket. Check more at link below, there's bit of miscommunication from the sales rep at Vijay Sales I believe.

https://www.lg.com/in/offers/home-entertainment

For Sony I am pretty sure it's 15% till 15k on majority of the 55/65 2020 sets because there was an HDFC rep over there and he confirmed.

For LG C9/CX, maybe it's capped at 9k. Didn't get the confirmation about it from the HDFC rep.

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

For Sony I am pretty sure it's 15% till 15k on majority of the 55/65 2020 sets because there was an HDFC rep over there and he confirmed.

For LG C9/CX, maybe it's capped at 9k. Didn't get the confirmation about it from the HDFC rep.

Nah mate i am getting 6k only as mentioned on my hdfc chargeslip as well for a9g 55

Same was told before by vijaysales rep n a hdfc guy right there

Try vijaysales n lg shoppee at centre mkt lajpat

Yusuf sarai will be a waste

@adity cx kitne main liya?

3 hours ago, DarthVader said:

My sony 1080p tv just kinda died. The last working hdmi port is malfunctioning too. 

Kindly suggest a new 40-55" tv. I do plan to get both ps5 and xsx but let's say i will play around 20-40 hours per month max. Don't think I'd need 120 hz as i usually play single player with max quality the game has to offer.

Budget is not an issue but would love to keep it as low as possible as i don't have time to watch tv or play :wacko: and it will mostly be used by family for tata sky

Are oneplus qled absolutely sh*t?

38 minutes ago, SkinTightTuna said:

Are oneplus qled absolutely sh*t?

3 hours ago, DarthVader said:

From my little time of research they are decent but not great. The Samsung Frame 55 inch QLED's are on sale and they are great. 120hz the whole schabang. 

I just bought the Samsung ua55tue its 50k. 55 inch. Its the entry level Samsung 4k tv of this year and it does the job for me. There is the LG u7290 which is last years model at the same price which is also good. I'd get the frame if I had the money.

1 hour ago, SkinTightTuna said:

Nah mate i am getting 6k only as mentioned on my hdfc chargeslip as well for a9g 55

Same was told before by vijaysales rep n a hdfc guy right there

Try vijaysales n lg shoppee at centre mkt lajpat

Yusuf sarai will be a waste

@adity cx kitne main liya?

So this is what my friend over at HDFC sent me and acc. to him this cashback started just 2 days ago so maybe that's why you didn't get it on a9g. Plus even RD guy called and told me about this. Anyway, I am looking for the best price out there.

And if they tell me 15k and it's not mentioned on the chargeslip then I will make their lives hell, quite literally.

IMG-20201024-WA0003.jpg

9 hours ago, Nathan.Drake said:

Guys i went to croma east of kailash (Delhi) branch and enquired the price of cx 55”

they quoted 1.25 + bank offers (~10k cashback on hdfc) 

though they didnt sound too confident to me.

He also got quoted 10k cashback.

They weren't quoting this till 3-4 days ago.

Researched a bit. So everyone on HIFIVISION is getting 15% upto 15k cashback on Sony. Everyone started getting this offer 2 days go. 

So that settles it.

Also, here's the thing: Look up the rate of the TV you want on shopatsc and reduce 5% and then minus 15k cashback, that is the best you are going to be quoted apparently. Everyone got quoted the same amount.

Edited by kunjanp
  • Like 1

Will do. 
It's so tiring visiting these places again and again. Just give me the best price straight away.

Also, HDFC is offering 15% cashback upto 15k on Sony and 17.5% upto 15k on LG.
Don't let any Croma/RD guy tell you otherwise.
He told me that it's just 6k but this offer is readily available in Vijay Sales (I confirmed from my friend over in HDFC) and ends up providing the best price.

Now will visit this Yusuf sarai place and that's it. Gonna buy at whatever is the best price next week.
I am being quoted cashbsck only on emi payment by RD. I don't get why a cashback can't be generated for a debit or credit card transaction?

Are you getting emi only or are you getting cashback on upfront payment?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

I am being quoted cashbsck only on emi payment by RD. I don't get why a cashback can't be generated for a debit or credit card transaction?

Are you getting emi only or are you getting cashback on upfront payment?

So let me explain a bit.

An EMI is basically a loan. The interest charged goes into the pocket of the creditor.

A no-cost EMI seems to be a zero interest loan. But here's the thing, RBI doesn't recognise zero interest loans. Interest needs to be charged and the banks also want that.

So retailers or the brand itself passes off the savings they would have given to you, to the bank instead. So for example: Sony would have provided 15k additional discount to the customer but instead they are providing this to the bank to cancel out the interest.

Also, no-cost EMI does charge processing fee and GST extra.

Now why don't brands just directly give customers the discount? Well, they get kickback for the traffic they drive on payment network like Visa, MasterCard or the bank's network (more EMI = more monthly processing fee).

So EMI (no cost or not) only makes sense when you are getting decent cashback. But then, isn't the bank ultimately losing money?

Well, the biggest reason behind all this hoopla is to get you hooked on using credit/debit cards loans, on using the money you don't actually have. And then in the case of late payment or default, they suck huge interest out of you. Enough % of people either forget the payments or pay late or pay just the minimum amount or default for the banks to make great profit out of it.

I personally have seen many people just paying the minimum due amount, thinking they won't be charged anything, only to realise that it only saves you from the late payment penalty but you still have to pay interest.

And that's why you get cashback only on EMI.

And yes, cashback only offered on 6 month+ EMI. But the cashback is quite good, makes sense to buy and then pay off the credit due immediately.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

• Like 3

So let me explain a bit.
An EMI is basically a loan. The interest charged goes into the pocket of the creditor.

A no-cost EMI seems to be a zero interest loan. But here's the thing, RBI doesn't recognise zero interest loans. Interest needs to be charged and the banks also want that.

So retailers or the brand itself passes off the savings they would have given to you, to the bank instead. So for example: Sony would have provided 15k additional discount to the customer but instead they are providing this to the bank to cancel out the interest.
Also, no-cost EMI does charge processing fee and GST extra.

Now why don't brands just directly give customers the discount? Well, they get kickback for the traffic they drive on payment network like Visa, MasterCard or the bank's network (more EMI = more monthly processing fee).

So EMI (no cost or not) only makes sense when you are getting decent cashback. But then, isn't the bank ultimately losing money?

Well, the biggest reason behind all this hoopla is to get you hooked on using credit/debit cards loans, on using the money you don't actually have. And then in the case of late payment or default, they suck huge interest out of you. Enough % of people either forget the payments or pay late or pay just the minimum amount or default for the banks to make great profit out of it.
I personally have seen many people just paying the minimum due amount, thinking they won't be charged anything, only to realise that it only saves you from the late payment penalty but you still have to pay interest.

And that's why you get cashback only on EMI.

And yes, cashback only offered on 6 month+ EMI. But the cashback is quite good, makes sense to buy and then pay off the credit due immediately.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.
This should be pinned would help every buyer like me who doesn't understand the dual edged nature of these offers. Thanks a ton.

2 hours ago, SkinTightTuna said:

Couple guys shared their charge-slips and it's mentioned 15% till 15k on it. They bought 55/65 90H.

Should have said 10% if that was the case. I'll go and check couple more stores today.

3 minutes ago, kunjanp said:

Could be, but that's their business. If I get a slip mentioning 15k cashback then I will get it? Right?

Yes you will. Maybe that's the loophole

Putting details of a 77 inches tv on a chargeslip to pass on bigger discount as long as min amount provision is being fulfilled which i believe is 180000 if the amount is lower then im still wondering how is that possible.

Retailers do all sorts of shady sh*t like mentioning wrong model on the chargeslip and all that to get the best deal. 
How will the buyer get the warranty then ? I mean if the buyer buys a different model and bill is for a different model the company won't honor the warranty. I have had a couple of times where i was asked for the OG bill for repairs and replacement.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread