The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

Moved the PC to the living room since wifey's been complaining about the monitor screen being too small to play Overcooked 2.

Connected the TV to my C9 and booted up Witcher 3 (after a couple of rounds of Overcooked 2 ofc). I normally run at 1440p ultra north of 80fps on the monitor. Tried 4k with the TV, and saw the framerate drop to 50s. Then switched back to 1440p just to check the difference. There was barely any tbh. If the upscaling is this good, I might as well just use the TV and game at 1440p.

Anyone else noticed this?

Edited by l33tmaniac

Will i get a good amount of change in quality if i get an airtel xstream 4k dth box? Do i have to change the airtel signal dish as well it's from 2011? Idk if the dish affects 4k signal reception and PQ, My current HD box is 1080p and is of 2014-2015 year.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Will i get a good amount of change in quality if i get an airtel xstream 4k dth box? Do i have to change the airtel signal dish as well it's from 2011? Idk if the dish affects 4k signal reception and PQ, My current HD box is 1080p and is of 2014-2015 year.

DTH quality? No.

4k refers to it being capable of displaying Netflix/YouTube/Prime in 4k, not that the channels are displaying 4k content.

DTH quality? No.
4k refers to it being capable of displaying Netflix/YouTube/Prime in 4k, not that the channels are displaying 4k content.
Oh but our tv has in built chromecast already right and we have netflix and other apps as well.

So i don't get why anyone would require a dth provider to give a 4k box for netflix, youtube etc since it won't be upscaling SD or HD content to 4k

11 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Oh but our tv has in built chromecast already right and we have netflix and other apps as well.

So i don't get why anyone would require a dth provider to give a 4k box for netflix, youtube etc since it won't be upscaling SD or HD content to 4k

SD/HD content is anyway upscaled to 4k by the TV, doesn't matter if the box does it or not.

The DTH providers are just providing features i.e. you can have an all in one system. Nothing more than that.

Edited by kunjanp

So, i took delivery of the Frame tv. Picture quality is decent but there is a big grey/blacl patch in the middle of the screen which is visible during dark scenes. Here is the picture of it. I have applied for a replacement. I hope the technician sees this as a problem as well. Any comments? a9fb08032e72220825d46f97b16d4868.jpg

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

So, i took delivery of the Frame tv. Picture quality is decent but there is a big grey/blacl patch in the middle of the screen which is visible during dark scenes. Here is the picture of it. I have applied for a replacement. I hope the technician sees this as a problem as well. Any comments? a9fb08032e72220825d46f97b16d4868.jpg

Looks faulty. Mine is perfectly white! 3426d022b3cf970604c92828ccf8a4cf.jpg

On 11/18/2020 at 12:09 PM, Sach4life said:

Just an update. Technician came and cleaned the screen with a tissue and the problem got solved. Basically, this stain/patch was external. 

On the tv itself, PQ is decent and definitely worth the asking price. No issues that i can think of. Recommended from my side 

• Haha 4

So, i've been looking to upgrade my TV in preparation for PS5 or Series X (which ever i can get hold of). This TV will be in the living room which is pretty bright also the TV will be used for general viewing so i believe an OLED is out of the question. Will probably be 55"

I have checked out TVs from the 3 major brands out of which i found Sony XH90 pretty good. Though i have heard that this model even after being advertised as "Made for PS" isn't performing well. I don't know how true it is. If anyone owns this TV can confirm. Wasn't impressed much by LG nanocell and Samsung QLED felt like a hit or miss. The picture quality felt washed out on Samsung. Now, i don't know if its just YT video compression or actually that way.

So is the XH90 a good choice or is there something better that i might have overlooked? Another thing i have heard is samsung ditching old panels and bringing mini-led etc. Don't have much info on those. Lot of people have been suggesting to hold off buying anything this year.

What do you guys think? Should i wait or should i go ahead with pick one up?

Keep in mind the Sony doesn't have VRR and ALLM/LFC either (yet). I think the CX comes the closest feature wise, and also has the most recent version of Dolby Vision.

Edited by Keyofx

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread