The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

11 hours ago, adity said:

X90H's brightness is barely higher than CX. So if you're going with it over OLED just for higher peak brightness, it makes zero sense. Also, terrible time to go and look for a TV right after the best offers of the year probably ended. 

Edit: Actually no, X90H peak brightness is actually considerably lower than CX. 

The reasons why i'm avoiding is OLED is:

1. Burn-in Issue: My folks watch a lot of dth channels, mainly news and tv shows. So too many static images almost all the time. And my current TV is on the entire day. Burning is inevitable (even on regular LED i guess) but i don't want to notice those in just 6-8 months time after paying such a hefty amount.

2. The TV will be in living room which is pretty bright. And from what i have read or seen,  OLED is excellent for a dark room. I never intend to watch or play any content in a dark lit room. 

As for offers, they come and go all the time and its been only a week since Diwali got over someone might still honor those prices. If i'm wrong do correct me.

11 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Keep in mind the Sony doesn't have VRR and ALLM/LFC either (yet). I think the CX comes the closest feature wise, and also has the most recent version of Dolby Vision.

Isn't that update out already or was that just 4K 120 update?

10 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

The reasons why i'm avoiding is OLED is:

1. Burn-in Issue: My folks watch a lot of dth channels, mainly news and tv shows. So too many static images almost all the time. And my current TV is on the entire day. Burning is inevitable (even on regular LED i guess) but i don't want to notice those in just 6-8 months time after paying such a hefty amount.

2. The TV will be in living room which is pretty bright. And from what i have read or seen,  OLED is excellent for a dark room. I never intend to watch or play any content in a dark lit room. 

As for offers, they come and go all the time and its been only a week since Diwali got over someone might still honor those prices. If i'm wrong do correct me.

Isn't that update out already or was that just 4K 120 update?

Latest update was only for 4k 120 and eARC. Next update, stated to release somewhere around Dec end will provide VRR and ALLM. 

So the update will come and just a matter of when, Sony is waiting for certification by HDMI admin.

Also I personally haven't received 4k 120 update on my TV yet so might take a while before it comes to all units.

5 hours ago, kunjanp said:

Latest update was only for 4k 120 and eARC. Next update, stated to release somewhere around Dec end will provide VRR and ALLM. 

So the update will come and just a matter of when, Sony is waiting for certification by HDMI admin.

Also I personally haven't received 4k 120 update on my TV yet so might take a while before it comes to all units.

Yea, they're probably rolling it out by region. Worth noting that ALLM works differently on both panel types. I think it kicks in at a lower frame rate on OLEDs than LCD-LEDs. And when they do patch LFC and VRR in, will it have the same issues with HDR as seen on Samsung's QLEDs? Apparently FALD/HDR/VRR have serious issues working together.

It also depends on usage. Do you need more than a single HDMI 2.1 port? This is key. How about Dolby Vision IQ?

All that said, I think an LED just makes sense for this particular use case. It's a family TV mostly used for DTH, and switched on for multiple hours in a bright room.

3 hours ago, Keyofx said:

Yea, they're probably rolling it out by region. Worth noting that ALLM works differently on both panel types. I think it kicks in at a lower frame rate on OLEDs than LCD-LEDs. And when they do patch LFC and VRR in, will it have the same issues with HDR as seen on Samsung's QLEDs? Apparently FALD/HDR/VRR have serious issues working together.

It also depends on usage. Do you need more than a single HDMI 2.1 port? This is key. How about Dolby Vision IQ?

All that said, I think an LED just makes sense for this particular use case. It's a family TV mostly used for DTH, and switched on for multiple hours in a bright room.

Yeah, if i can convince my folks to get rid of DTH then maybe i can look into OLED cause burn in-issue is major issue than bright room. And i don't think they have any warranty for panel or panel replacements in our country.

56 minutes ago, Agent 47 said:

Yeah, if i can convince my folks to get rid of DTH then maybe i can look into OLED cause burn in-issue is major issue than bright room. And i don't think they have any warranty for panel or panel replacements in our country.

Better not to risk OLED with DTH usage, especially for parents/elders. It will be a problem eventually, even if not on the short term.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

I think local LG OLEDs come with a 3 year warranty now, including for burn-in!

ARC (and eARC) in general is a mess, as is HDR. Pretty much any new technology or standard in fact, because it quickly fragments.

Way too many variables for everyone to get a standardised experience. Really annoying stuff ;/

So, i went out to enquire about the Sony XH90 and nobody at the moment has it in stock. Waiting period is almost two months. Before that there is CES 2021. Maybe its a sign to wait for something better. Time will tell.

Edited by Agent 47

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

So, i went out to enquire about the Sony XH90 and nobody at the moment has it in stock. Waiting period is almost two months. Before that there is CES 2021. Maybe its a sign to wait for something better. Time will tell.

Did you try Girias? They had stock just a week ago!

9 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

Been to Mantri Mall yesterday. Girias over there didn't have it. Will check girias outlet near my home. 

They most likely did a stock check across all their stores, which probably means it's OOS. That's news.

X90H owners did you get any new update ? I have been stuck on this update since a long time. Forget the latest 6.0414 but i haven't even received an update prior to it. As per what i read on r/bravia. The models that start with KD are treated badly with updates and US BR or whatever models get new stuff very fast.

Still i feel like the one that i have is the launch update. The android security patch is of april 1, 2020 and kernel is of jun 22, 2020.

I tried to manually go into settings and update, tried setting auto update on but nothing. Lemme know how is it for you guys.

20201128-161330.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Did you get a replacement? 
Yeah i got it replaced. It does not have the blackish burn mark anymore but the bars are present.

Also i have checked the gray uniformity and DSE for x90h/x900h on both rtings and hdtvtest and their models which they regard as the company standard have excellent screen uniformity and no DSE. Mine still has bars i will be doing testing on games over the weekend since i got it today. I just wish these bars are not dealbreaking like the last set. Which just ruined the experience on scenes where DSE is prevalent.

53 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

X90H owners did you get any new update ? I have been stuck on this update since a long time. Forget the latest 6.0414 but i haven't even received an update prior to it. As per what i read on r/bravia. The models that start with KD are treated badly with updates and US BR or whatever models get new stuff very fast.

Still i feel like the one that i have is the launch update. The android security patch is of april 1, 2020 and kernel is of jun 22, 2020.

I tried to manually go into settings and update, tried setting auto update on but nothing. Lemme know how is it for you guys.

Just keep on checking Sony Asia support site. India gets it's update along with them, which obviously is after EU and US. 

The new unified interface for all 2019 and 2020 (and some 2018) models arrived in EU yesterday (along with Apple TV). US should get it next, and Asia is in line. Maybe next year-ish. 

To those who don't understand what i mean by bars. Here is the jist. I see whitish vertical bars on both left and right side two on each. Check on the left and right side of xbox one logo. This should not look as bad as this. On my old sony w700c lcd/led it did not look like this at all. The last X90h lcd/led was more horryfying than this but this still does have noticible bars. And by bars i am not at all talking about any banding. I'm talking about vertical bars like you would have on an old CRT TV.

20201128-125718.jpg

20201128-130300.jpg

20201128-181457.jpg

Hmm maybe Sony handpicks sets to deliver to high profile reviewers like rtings
There is no doubt about it i feel the same. Some of the lesser known youtubers suffer from display issues on all sort of brand not just sony.

But these big names companies know will represent their product so even if they say box sponsored them or whatever. The reality is they are given the best version of that product.

Sony advertises HDTVTest recommended for x90h on it's product page. And if you see hdtv test review 12.30-12.44m mark on his x90h video the gray uniformity is excellent not at all like mine. Same goes for the 8.1 gray uniformity score on rtongs whose picture makes you believe that sony did make all the sets with such quality .

Another issue here is sony tvs at least all x90h as of now are made in india because of covid19. I feel like they lack the quality control standards and transportation standards like foreign companies.

I'm gonna check the thurmacoal boxes layout the support the packed TV during factory to user home transportation.

It seems like where the thurmacoal has some patturn sticking out to hold the TV in grip but i guess during transportation that causes pressure on these sensitive panels and causes some form of DSE. On other areas of the screen such libes don't exist to such drastic extent like the ones shown in my xbox one pic. So that makes me believe it might be because of how thurmacoal is placed to protect the TV.

1 hour ago, NitroNeo said:

To those who don't understand what i mean by bars. Here is the jist. I see whitish vertical bars on both left and right side two on each. Check on the left and right side of xbox one logo. This should not look as bad as this. On my old sony w700c lcd/led it did not look like this at all. The last X90h lcd/led was more horryfying than this but this still does have noticible bars. And by bars i am not at all talking about any banding. I'm talking about vertical bars like you would have on an old CRT TV.

20201128-125718.jpg

20201128-130300.jpg

20201128-181457.jpg

Thosr bars look quite visibly noticeable.  Is this normal on FALD? I dont think Ive ever noticed bars like these on standard lg 4k led tvs.

The picture is taken at an angle. The camera probably further worsened it. I think it won't look as bad in person. There will be slight bars visible on a FALD set where each dimming zone ends but this looks excessive. 
This is the best possible poc to the real deal. I had to take multiple pics to get the result somewhere to what we see.

This is not at all normal. If you think it's because of local dimming then even if i keep it off the bars are visible.

Plus we are not getting any software update to check if it can solve it.

But as i have seen it on 2 sets now it seems it's a quality control issue at those make in india factories or transportation issues. As I've checked these are the things that lead to DSE.

And the Xbox logo does have those cheap bars along with other games. But those are very visible in situations like the xbox image or sky shots. And sports.

Just out of curiosity where are the newest 2020 samsung and LG OLEDs being made. Can you guys check your TV boxes to see where was it made or where was it imported from.

I wonder if it's a made in india issue with sony only

On my x90H, I can make out the bars below 35% but post that the bars start disappearing. Post 70% they are hardly visible. So I think @NitroNeo might have his TV setup at low brightness and gamma. 

I haven't done gaming on the TV yet but during normal usage, I haven't ever seen these bars.

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread