The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

I would think the Sony panels are imported, even if the TV itself is assembled locally. This might be just be a bad batch or something...

My 65CX didn't list have any import details on the label, so I'm going to assume it was put together at their local plant. The tabletop stand was a direct import, though. It didn't even have English instructions. Just Korean.

1 hour ago, NitroNeo said:

Just out of curiosity where are the newest 2020 samsung and LG OLEDs being made. Can you guys check your TV boxes to see where was it made or where was it imported from.

I wonder if it's a made in india issue with sony only

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

LG has been making OLEDs in their Pune factory since quite a long time. I have to check whether it says manufactured or assembled in Pune on the box. 

Also, X90H is the starter FALD in Sony's lineup. Don't expect it to be top notch. That's X95H's job. 

I did some DSE and grey testing on X95G. Didn't really see anything abnormal. 

1 hour ago, kunjanp said:

On my x90H, I can make out the bars below 35% but post that the bars start disappearing. Post 70% they are hardly visible. So I think @NitroNeo might have his TV setup at low brightness and gamma. 

I haven't done gaming on the TV yet but during normal usage, I haven't ever seen these bars.

For DTH the left and right side whitish bars you see on xbox one logo pics are there, for gaming however you see all of em, i have observed them during many games, they tend to be less visible during bright content like NFS Heat and dark content like shadows of war, but very noticeable when i play fall guys, assassins creed odyssey when you see sky and some light objects, i see them in forza horizon 4 also in the sky,.

You really should check gaming, i don't keep brightness more than 30, i keep gamma on default, though keeping brightness to higher value doesn't help much either. I played with most settings by now tweaked in every way, nothing works, only thing left is a software update which sony still hasn't released, it's shocking the TV is out for 6 months or so but i don't think India ever got a single update.

I'd say avoid this TV, keyofx said it might be a batch thing but it isn't my first one was of Oct 2020 and this one is of Nov 2020, i guess sony is getting away with unsuspecting buyers who don't even know they have DSE, i don't know what is up with TVs, OLEDs have burn in, LCD/LEDs have DSE and poor uniformity, damn it just make everything IPS. At least sh*t works flawlessly for years.

I don't get how mobile screens are flawless and TV screens have variety of issues, isn't it just a bigger screen, why the fuk they can't implement the same stuff that works great for mobiles, ipads, alienware and imac screens into the TV.

If a 90k TV works like this all it leaves is a dirty aftertaste.

32 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

LG has been making OLEDs in their Pune factory since quite a long time. I have to check whether it says manufactured or assembled in Pune on the box. 

Also, X90H is the starter FALD in Sony's lineup. Don't expect it to be top notch. That's X95H's job. 

Pics please preferably in games like sky shots or xbox bootup logo, PS start screen doesn't do it as it's bright blue so it's hard to capture those bars on camera, also if you do the LCD backlight uniformity test then please post 20% 40% pics, as 100 % or near it gets bright and to capture those bars on camera gets tedious.

I think sony have really made X90H owners guinea pigs, now i get why X95H didn't get HDMI 2.1 bells and whistles, as they had implementation issues and they wanted to advertise X90h as the PS5 TV to sell like hotcakes, which they fulfilled, now they can test their sh*t on us and make 2021 TVs great, seems like that's why they didn't make the 55 & 65X95H available in india so that to divert new buyers to

Well after this i have developed trust issues, i don't fukin see an honest company in india. All are selling refurbished TVs made from TVs people replace in first world countries. The sony mumbai head even told us our old TV may even be sold somewhere for 50k and on hifivision a guy who's cousin worked at a high post in samsung said, they take out good parts from the TV and use it on new TVs.

When i asked sony to send proof that they are replacing the set as they were taking too much time, they mentioned in the mail they deem the set is fine and they are only replacing as a good gesture, but on hifivision and reddit many users and users of the same model clearly said the panel was faulty, the sony engineer they sent also said the lines were visible to him, yet in he mail they said after thorough testing their person didn't find any faults.So many words they twisted,

They also made us sign an indemnity letter which they say is so that bajaj or vijay sales can't claim the defective old TV, but this was the first time i or any people on hifivision heard of such a thing.

I seriously expected sony to have high quality standards, since their partner HDTV Test and others they show on their product page show a panel with great uniformity.. Even rtings too. So naturally if a product doesn't seem faulty buyers will buy it. So now that leaves a question is the product itself this bad or sony india just has bad quality control for X90H priced TVs.

Ok so here are pics of Assassin's creed odyssey on ps4 pro. This is as close to what i am seeing and i must say this is a fukin pathetic TV. False advertising and promotion at it's finest.

20201129-010319.jpg

20201129-010405.jpg

20201129-010414.jpg

• Sad 1

Hmm... Thats bad. What I noticed is the color is not uniform. Need to check how my TV responds to something like sky shot. Have Odyssey on Xbox One X and I use 65C9. Not sure if this is PS4 Pro issue or TV issue. :scratchchin:

Hmm... Thats bad. What I noticed is the color is not uniform. Need to check how my TV responds to something like sky shot. Have Odyssey on Xbox One X and I use 65C9. Not sure if this is PS4 Pro issue or TV issue. :scratchchin:
TV issue here just check a few posts back and you will see the xbox one logo abd bars around it.

For your doubt here is a forza horizon 4 xb1x camera mode shot of sky. You can see whitish bars on the area where altitude 3.8ft is written. On a clearer sky it's more prevalent. And since during games we constantly rotate cameras we are bound to see the sky or lighter scenes every now and then. And then we see the bars. It's very annoying and troubling to the eye. Now after doing constant testing on the replacement TV i am feeling a strong headache.

20201112-203851.jpg

8 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

For DTH the left and right side whitish bars you see on xbox one logo pics are there, for gaming however you see all of em, i have observed them during many games, they tend to be less visible during bright content like NFS Heat and dark content like shadows of war, but very noticeable when i play fall guys, assassins creed odyssey when you see sky and some light objects, i see them in forza horizon 4 also in the sky,.

You really should check gaming, i don't keep brightness more than 30, i keep gamma on default, though keeping brightness to higher value doesn't help much either. I played with most settings by now tweaked in every way, nothing works, only thing left is a software update which sony still hasn't released, it's shocking the TV is out for 6 months or so but i don't think India ever got a single update.

I'd say avoid this TV, keyofx said it might be a batch thing but it isn't my first one was of Oct 2020 and this one is of Nov 2020, i guess sony is getting away with unsuspecting buyers who don't even know they have DSE, i don't know what is up with TVs, OLEDs have burn in, LCD/LEDs have DSE and poor uniformity, damn it just make everything IPS. At least sh*t works flawlessly for years.

I don't get how mobile screens are flawless and TV screens have variety of issues, isn't it just a bigger screen, why the fuk they can't implement the same stuff that works great for mobiles, ipads, alienware and imac screens into the TV.

If a 90k TV works like this all it leaves is a dirty aftertaste.

I don't have a console now. So if you have any other source like something from Netflix/Amazon or Youtube in which you experience this, then let me know. Will try it out and post pics.

I don't have a console now. So if you have any other source like something from Netflix/Amazon or Youtube in which you experience this, then let me know. Will try it out and post pics.
I did post youtube gray uniformity pics which shows all the bars, i did it for old and current TV. I don't use netflix or prime. But with TV shows mostly the left and right whitish bars are there.

With gaming it's the full course.

12 hours ago, NitroNeo said:

Pics please preferably in games like sky shots or xbox bootup logo, PS start screen doesn't do it as it's bright blue so it's hard to capture those bars on camera, also if you do the LCD backlight uniformity test then please post 20% 40% pics, as 100 % or near it gets bright and to capture those bars on camera gets tedious.

No PS or XBOX here. I did some tests via youtube videos. 

Edit: Checked via DSE and grey tests. Except slight vignetting at the edges (expected) and blooming against a dark background (again, when text is at or near corners, like Netflix's rating - never on subs), nothing much to complain about. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

Wow, all these posts have made me rethink whether my decision to purchase x900H is right or wrong. Then again, the TV is OoS everywhere and new stocks are arriving in the end of December. I do not know if those are imports or being built here. Only time will tell. 

In the mean time i did check out Samsung Q80T and it ain't bad. The issue is that its bit expensive, owners of Q90R say it ain't much of an upgrade but a downgrade (lack of dolby vision. only 1 hdmi 2.1 port). Also, have heard that Samsung will launch mini LED next year which might make the current panel outdated. I haven't researched much about mini LED just that i know its an old tech. 

@NitroNeo Did you try to update to the current firmware manually via USB. I believe there is a way to do that.

No PS or XBOX here. I did some tests via youtube videos. 

Edit: Checked via DSE and grey tests. Except slight vignetting at the edges (expected) and blooming against a dark background (again, when text is at or near corners, like Netflix's rating - never on subs), nothing much to complain about. 
So for my case it seems to be the panel

Wow, all these posts have made me rethink whether my decision to purchase x900H is right or wrong. Then again, the TV is OoS everywhere and new stocks are arriving in the end of December. I do not know if those are imports or being built here. Only time will tell. 

In the mean time i did check out Samsung Q80T and it ain't bad. The issue is that its bit expensive, owners of Q90R say it ain't much of an upgrade but a downgrade (lack of dolby vision. only 1 hdmi 2.1 port). Also, have heard that Samsung will launch mini LED next year which might make the current panel outdated. I haven't researched much about mini LED just that i know its an old tech. 

[mention=9246]NitroNeo[/mention] Did you try to update to the current firmware manually via USB. I believe there is a way to do that.
Manual firmware update isn't recommended and if things go wrong which is the plague for most X90H owners on the community then sony india will give me trouble for performing an unofficial software update.

Please avoid this sh*t TV. If the Q80t has the only issue of a single port and no display issue then get that.

Else we have frame owners which can give performance feedback. Else go for OLED if you see a good deal.

But i repeat this x90h crap isn't worth your hard earned money.

32 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

So for my case it seems to be the panel

Bird has x95G, so can't compare to that.

Plus RTINGS doesn't source it's TV from Sony, they buy it from a regular shop. Could be that quality control is not as good here.

I don't see the bars during TV shows, generally I watch CC or some sports. For gaming, have to wait for Ps5.

18 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

@NitroNeo Just checked this, it says manufactured in India. 

@NitroNeo

You should call up the Sony folks again, show them the problems you are facing and ask for a full refund. 

I'll give you a real world scenario. I had bought a vacuum cleaner (forgot the model name) from Vijay Sales. Went kaput in 2 days., Went back to Vijay Sales who offered me a new piece. The 2nd piece went kaput in the store itself. The 3rd piece had a problem where the wire wouldn't retract. And this was a model that had ben highly recommended to us by a lot of our friends / family. Either the entire batch got issues during shipping or it was a bad batch to begin with,  We ended up getting an entirely different model altogether and it has been working flawlessly till date. 

My aunt got a full refund for her LG dishwasher after the 1st and the 2nd model started showing signs of trouble within days of installation. She had to go full twitter mode on it but she got her money back nevertheless. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

@NitroNeo Did you try to update to the current firmware manually via USB. I believe there is a way to do that.

Samsung TVs are not into Dolby Vision, They are more into promoting their HDR+.  During my purchase of TV I haven't seen any Samsung TVs supporting Dolby Vision.

1 minute ago, HarishProGamer said:

Samsung TVs are not into Dolby Vision, They are more into promoting their HDR+.  During my purchase of TV I haven't seen any Samsung TVs supporting Dolby Vision.

Yeah, that's what i mentioned that their lack of dolby vision is one of the reasons to avoid.

Clicked a few pics of my x90H, ranging across different scenes. Let me know if it feel any different. Plus, it looks more uniform in reality as compared to the pics.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1dM5c2nT5QoEQ5BbiXKbArDuRbrfr28b1

Edited by kunjanp

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread