The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

Just now, Bird Bird Bird said:

I use it on Sony TV, and it's pretty bad. High is as good as 480p IMO. 

It's just a bad app in front of Prime/Hotstar/Netflix etc. 

Netflix still has the best UI unless one is using Fire Stick. 

Oh yeah, the Sony LIV app on Sony TV's OS is also a pain.

There are 2 of those in my Mom's house and none of them can play some of the content (Scam 1992, etc.) properly. The error: "This content cannot be played on some devices."

6 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

Went for the Frame 55". Came to 73k after cashback and discount. 

Congratulations, that is a good choice for living room. I though will go with the 75" MI Tv :P

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 7:50 AM, Bird Bird Bird said:

Good to hear. 

Will wait for some reviews before jumping in. 

None of my sets at home have VRR, so kinda looking for something which can do VRR with PS5/XBX, but that size is super tempting. 

If it works well, it's a perfect drawing room tv. 

You sure you want to compromise on PQ for VRR? Ideally both, but I'd think OLED PQ would run circles out this Mi panel any day of the week.

My OLED experience has been sour for 30fps games, the stutter due to panels' quick response time legit makes certain games unplayable. It was particularly bad on TLOU II, and even Control in RT mode. Using anything but Game mode increases the latency so there are no workarounds to fix that problem. I'm not someone who's particularly bothered about 30fps games, since vast vast majority of my gaming has been done on those. Some of them being particularly bad in performance (looking at you Witcher 3) but these issues are exacerbated on OLED. It was never this jarring while gaming on a monitor and eventually on a Samsung QLED.

Watching content in general has been a blast, and so has 60fps gaming but 30fps games are a disappointment. So far, most games offer 60fps on PS5 so it's good but if I desire more eye-candy in form of RT, then I have to deal with this awkward stutter. Oh well.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I feel like it might be placebo since 30 fps extrapolates perfectly to 120 hz. It's just repeating the same frame 4 times. 

It might be that the games you're playing have frame pacing issues. Also, VRR range is 40-120 so obviously any frame drops in a 30 fps won't be taken care of by VRR. 

There’s some placebo for sure, I hooked the console to my monitor and 30fps looked weird on there too. But, its smoother on a monitor/QLED compared to an OLED.

I have searched a lot on the Internet and it seems to be an issue inherent with the OLED tech, some games in particular don’t mesh well. TLOU II being one of them.

I'm still very satisfied though, most games I want to play are 60fps, hopefully devs will continue to provide that option all the way through the end of this console cycle.

3 hours ago, Kushagra said:

My OLED experience has been sour for 30fps games, the stutter due to panels' quick response time legit makes certain games unplayable. It was particularly bad on TLOU II, and even Control in RT mode. Using anything but Game mode increases the latency so there are no workarounds to fix that problem. I'm not someone who's particularly bothered about 30fps games, since vast vast majority of my gaming has been done on those. Some of them being particularly bad in performance (looking at you Witcher 3) but these issues are exacerbated on OLED. It was never this jarring while gaming on a monitor and eventually on a Samsung QLED.

Watching content in general has been a blast, and so has 60fps gaming but 30fps games are a disappointment. So far, most games offer 60fps on PS5 so it's good but if I desire more eye-candy in form of RT, then I have to deal with this awkward stutter. Oh well.

Samsung QLEDs have a different issue with limited HDMI 2.1 port availability. It bugs me when I have to unplug and reconnect the consoles/PC to get access to any of the HDMI 2.1 ports.

Also, for some odd reason I am having difficulty getting 4k 120Hz signal to my Frame QLED from PC (and getting VRR to work as well) whereas never faced any issues with my LG OLED. The WebOs experience on LG is much better when compared to Tizen on Samsung. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Samsung has had constant problems with 2.1 compatibility. 

It straight up didn't work on Frame for some time. 

Might be the reason why they don't really advertise it for Frame. 

It's weird cos my XSX clearly says that it is 2.1 compatible. Anyway, barring a few games that I can run @ 4k 120Hz from PC, it's unlikely to find much use for now. 

1440p works fine though. 

20 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

How unreliable are Android TVs ? My X950G will either have a wifi issue or sound issue or an app issue every 2nd day. Has to be power cycled. :bash:

Haha, this happened with me as well but last update fixed almost all of it for me. Hope that Google TV hits our sets, great reviews so far.

4 hours ago, l33tmaniac said:

It's weird cos my XSX clearly says that it is 2.1 compatible. Anyway, barring a few games that I can run @ 4k 120Hz from PC, it's unlikely to find much use for now. 

1440p works fine though. 

I have the same TV. 

2.1 port is buggy.

On my One X, sometimes it couldn’t output sound. 

With PS5, it occasionally fails to output color format in RGB and switches to YUV422. When this happens, PS5 thinks it’s not a 2.1 port. 
Needs a restart to fix it. 

Reposting comment from XSX thread:

Under 4K TV details, just saw this new check in the XSX regarding 4k 120Hz with Dolby Vision enabled. It seems to be disabled for my LG C9. Anyone knows if there's any panel out there that supports this?

29 minutes ago, l33tmaniac said:

Reposting comment from XSX thread:

Under 4K TV details, just saw this new check in the XSX regarding 4k 120Hz with Dolby Vision enabled. It seems to be disabled for my LG C9. Anyone knows if there's any panel out there that supports this?

This is the case for Sony TVs (supports 4k 60hz with DV) but wasn't the case for LG. Not sure why you are getting this now. Was there any updates?

5 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

This is the case for Sony TVs (supports 4k 60hz with DV) but wasn't the case for LG. Not sure why you are getting this now. Was there any updates?

This check seems to have been recently added in XSX after an update. 

8 minutes ago, HundredProofSam said:

And I wish they do :ranting:

Only when we catch the last fish, cut down the last tree and poison the last river, will humankind realise FALD was never the promised saviour. 

On judgement day in thy court of the lord himself, redemption will be bestowed only upon the OLED owners.

• Like 1

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread