The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

On 11/9/2021 at 6:47 PM, Assassins Creed said:

Curious to see the break up.. unless he had some contacts tough to get that net price 

They were offering 89k for c1 48 too at croma jp nagar during Diwali 

And online it was available for 89k between 2-7 November (10pm to 1am) + 3k off with Amex card

So, my old TV finally died today. i'm looking for a budget TV around 30-40K price range in 43" size. There are so many options out there so i'm confused. Can you guys provide me some options. This TV will be mostly used for DTH.

Edited by Agent 47

Get a decent Samsung/LG one. We have recently bought a Samsung Crystal series for around 36k, it is pretty good. It's a base model with decent PQ and average sound. There is 4k support. At this price range, don't overthink and I would not suggest Chinese ones. Just get either Crystal series or a similar LG one.

1 hour ago, Agent 47 said:

So, my old TV finally died today. i'm looking for a budget TV around 30-40K price range in 43" size. There are so many options out there so i'm confused. Can you guys provide me some options. This TV will be mostly used for DTH.

Try for the Samsung AU9070. They quote a MRP of 50-54k but when I was in the market(last month), RD were ready to give me it for 40-41k. Otherwise AU8000 is also good.
LG also has a couple around the 37kish range but I think it only has 2HDMI ports.

Edited by Lazyboy8134

3 hours ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Try for the Samsung AU9070. They quote a MRP of 50-54k but when I was in the market(last month), RD were ready to give me it for 40-41k. Otherwise AU8000 is also good.
LG also has a couple around the 37kish range but I think it only has 2HDMI ports.

They are quoting AU8000 for 48K. SInce Diwali offers are over so prices are high.

21 hours ago, Agent 47 said:

They are quoting AU8000 for 48K. SInce Diwali offers are over so prices are high.

Oh damn, that's expensive I feel for the AU8000. Or check online on Samsung website once. 
Try seeing the Vu TVs in person? I really liked its display. Or the Mi 5x? Haven't seen it in person yet though. Had seen the 4a once and it was really dull.

26 minutes ago, Lazyboy8134 said:

Oh damn, that's expensive I feel for the AU8000. Or check online on Samsung website once. 
Try seeing the Vu TVs in person? I really liked its display. Or the Mi 5x? Haven't seen it in person yet though. Had seen the 4a once and it was really dull.

Yeah, i'll check out Vu. Lot of people say its decent

1 hour ago, achilles said:

Guys why does The Frame not respond to Tata Sky’s volume control? Right now we have to use two remotes, the sky’s for channels and frame’s for volume. For tv and external speakers, both. 

Keep set top box volume to maxx and then control volume via TV remove... the tata sky volume variation is quite shitty.. I just want to know if that max volume applies to all channels then that's how you should do.. max output from the box and then volume control in TV

23 hours ago, Assassins Creed said:

max output from the box and then volume control in TV

I’d prefer using one remote for channels and volume. The tv remote can’t do channels. Weird that tsky volume control does not work when it does with every other tv. 

edit: there is no max output etc. The tsky volume slider shows up on display when we use the tsky volume buttons but the volume does not change. The only thing that works is the mute button. 
Only the tv volume changes using its own remote. 

Any other frame or Samsung “smart tv” users facing this @dante77 @Bhpian Bali

edit 2: I thought it was HDMI-CEC related and the tsky volume control did work immediately after I turned it off but then stopped working again. 

Edited by achilles

On 11/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, achilles said:

Guys why does The Frame not respond to Tata Sky’s volume control? Right now we have to use two remotes, the sky’s for channels and frame’s for volume. For tv and external speakers, both. 

Your remote most likely is paired with your old TV, and if you just bought the frame you will need to reset it and pair it again with new remote, it's pretty easy refer to this video, my airtel remote was paired with my older sony TV, i didn't wanna spend like Rs.500 to get a airtel guy to come and pair it with my LG tv so i tried myself. IDK if the process is same for Tata sky, so if this does not work for you, you will have to find a video based on the tata sky process.

I did the process like the video and got it easily paired. The buttons shown in the video only get paired, refereed to multiple videos and can confirm only On/off, AV mode switch, mute, volume +/- get paired. I said refer to this video as most other videos skip on the step of telling you to reset the remote which is important if the remote has been previously used with another TV.

• Thanks 1

@NitroNeo thanks, but not what I’m asking. I’ve never paired the tsky remote with anything. 

The Tata sky remote works on Tata sky for everything including volume for every other TV. That’s how I’d like it too. But, with the frame, the volume output does not change through Tata sky even though the display shows the STB’s volume slider moving while using tsky remote. 
Only way to change volume output is to use the tv’s own remote, which changes the tv volume through TV’s UI. So at this time we are stuck with using two remotes instead of just one for viewing. 

How I’d like it to be and how it was with the earlier tv: switch on tv and then use Tata sky remote to control channels and volume. The volume output is controlled by tsky UI and not tv’s UI. TV’s own volume could be controlled by the Tv remote separately, in addition to tsky. With the frame, the volume is controlled only by the TV’s own remote with TV’s own UI. The tsky volume control and UI is wholly ineffective. 

5 minutes ago, achilles said:

@NitroNeo thanks, but not what I’m asking. I’ve never paired the tsky remote with anything. 

The Tata sky remote works on Tata sky for everything including volume for every other TV. That’s how I’d like it too. But, with the frame, the volume output does not change through Tata sky even though the display shows the STB’s volume slider moving while using tsky remote. 
Only way to change volume output is to use the tv’s own remote, which changes the tv volume through TV’s UI. So at this time we are stuck with using two remotes instead of just one for viewing. 

How I’d like it to be and how it was with the earlier tv: switch on tv and then use Tata sky remote to control channels and volume. The volume output is controlled by tsky UI and not tv’s UI. TV’s own volume could be controlled by the Tv remote separately, in addition to tsky. With the frame, the volume is controlled only by the TV’s own remote with TV’s own UI. The tsky volume control and UI is wholly ineffective. 

Oh mine is a HD launch set top box from 2014 or 2015. It only works as TV Volume, don't get separate set top box volume, you will most likely easily get this solved with a visit from tata sky service person, while registering a home visit with their Customer care just tell them to send a person who has the knowledge of the newest samsung TVs.  Most of the service centers these days have the facility to write customer notes with the complaint so that might help you.

Best you do contact them if there is no solution found online, most likely it will get resolved easily and you can keep enjoying the TV with peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

I’d prefer using one remote for channels and volume. The tv remote can’t do channels. Weird that tsky volume control does not work when it does with every other tv. 

edit: there is no max output etc. The tsky volume slider shows up on display when we use the tsky volume buttons but the volume does not change. The only thing that works is the mute button. 
Only the tv volume changes using its own remote. 

Any other frame or Samsung “smart tv” users facing this [mention=1641]dante77[/mention] [mention=5153]Bhpian Bali[/mention]

edit 2: I thought it was HDMI-CEC related and the tsky volume control did work immediately after I turned it off but then stopped working again. 
I only have one wire hanging from my tv and that is the power cable. [emoji14] i am fully ott. So no tatasky or any other media connected to my TV. 

Don't use Set-top box. Only OTT for now. Sorry bro.
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2021 at 3:28 PM, achilles said:

Disable Dolby digital in audio settings. Change it to PCM in audio settings of the set top box. Then, the volume control will work. It will work even without this change on SD channels. Dolby digital does not have the facility of volume control. It has to be done by the audio processor. In this case, it is done by the TV.

Although, I recommend you to program your Tata sky remote to control the TV volume (and keep DD on STB) as the sound quality on DD vs PCM is night and day.

• Thanks 1