The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

9 minutes ago, b!T said:

Guys, can you suggest a TV within 80K? Cousin wants a new one to use with PS5. Apart from gaming, other uses are OTTs but majorly for PS5.

If he can strech his budget a bit you can get lg c1. 48 inch oled tv or last year’s lg Cx oled

samsung qn90a during sales you can get it for 75-78k.

1 hour ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

If he can strech his budget a bit you can get lg c1. 48 inch oled tv or last year’s lg Cx oled

samsung qn90a during sales you can get it for 75-78k.

He sold his tv so can't wait for sales. Also 80k can't be stretched but thanks dude.

3 hours ago, b!T said:

He sold his tv so can't wait for sales. Also 80k can't be stretched but thanks dude.

Oh ok ….you can also check out the Samsung frame tv series….you can get that within 80k but no 120hz panel 

but if u can bargain at offline stores and get Samsung qn90a within 80k ….that’s the best option at that price range

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, Agent 47 said:

So, my old TV finally died today. i'm looking for a budget TV around 30-40K price range in 43" size. There are so many options out there so i'm confused. Can you guys provide me some options. This TV will be mostly used for DTH.

I purchased a 4k VU Ultra 55" from amazon recently.

I think it was a steal at that price (around 36k). For any shows/movies where DOLBY VISION pop-up comes, they look brilliant! Some tweaking is needed otherwise, but mostly really satisfied.

The blacks are decent, but the HDR leaves a lot to be desired. It's somewhat of a hit and miss. For example Genshin Impact, and Days Gone with HDR look amazing but Horizon Zero Dawn with HDR looks quite unnatural (blown up colours) and strains my eyes after an hour of gametime.

Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase. We didn't have a TV since over 2 years so this was a huge upgrade. I didn't realise it before but the TV has really brought new life to our house, and I can't go back to smaller screens for content consumption or games now.

I am thinking of getting an OLED or a QLED in a few months for my room :)

• 2 weeks later...

OLED owners how do you prevent screen retention, I'm constantly rotating content, if i game i make sure i watch some 15 mins of TV, or if i watch TV i switch to another channel, the only time i am seeing screen retention is on youtube, idk how to prevent that so i just switch from it to tv, but i guess youtube bg is less than 5% greyscale so i see some screen retention, especially now since i watched like 3 hours of game awards last week on the C1.

I was thinking about manually running pixel cleaner but this thread made me think i should just let the TV do it's mini refreshes and 2000+ hour auto refresh.

Also i had seen this video by linus before buying the TV, and somewhere in it he said using pixel refresher/cleaner will reduce the life of pixels alot faster.

So to those who are using their oleds for 2-3 or more years now, what are the right ways of taking care of the OLED TV ?

4 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

OLED owners how do you prevent screen retention, I'm constantly rotating content, if i game i make sure i watch some 15 mins of TV, or if i watch TV i switch to another channel, the only time i am seeing screen retention is on youtube, idk how to prevent that so i just switch from it to tv, but i guess youtube bg is less than 5% greyscale so i see some screen retention, especially now since i watched like 3 hours of game awards last week on the C1.

I was thinking about manually running pixel cleaner but this thread made me think i should just let the TV do it's mini refreshes and 2000+ hour auto refresh.

Also i had seen this video by linus before buying the TV, and somewhere in it he said using pixel refresher/cleaner will reduce the life of pixels alot faster.

So to those who are using their oleds for 2-3 or more years now, what are the right ways of taking care of the OLED TV ?

I have two OLEDs at home and both have run for over 2.5k hours. I use them normally and there is no issue with either of them

6 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

constantly rotating content, if i game i make sure i watch some 15 mins of TV, or if i watch TV i switch to another channel, the only time i am seeing screen retention is on youtube, idk how to prevent that so i just switch from it to tv, but i guess youtube bg is less than 5% greyscale so i see some screen retention, especially now since i watched like 3 hours of game awards last week on the C1.

I was thinking about manually running pixel cleaner but this thread made me think i should just let the TV do it's mini

7 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

If I am not mistaken the OLED runs a small Pixel Refresher when it is turned off when you have used the TV for more than 3/4 hrs and it also runs a complete pixel refresher after 2k hrs or so. I am not so sure. Don't worry so much man and enjoy your TV. As long as you are not watching it 10-12 hrs a day with static content you have nothing to worry about. 

10 minutes ago, Sach4life said:

I have two OLEDs at home and both have run for over 2.5k hours. I use them normally and there is no issue with either of them

From our end what type of care should we take, i rotate content like mostly advised but is that enough, how will i know when those mini refreshers are running in background and for how much time do they last, if i know when those are taking place i'll just put the TV on that no signal screen or whatever state the tv needs to be in.

2000+ hour refresher actually gives a prompt so you know you will need to start the cleaner and leave the tv on for 1 hour and let lg do it's thing

1 minute ago, NitroNeo said:

From our end what type of care should we take, i rotate content like mostly advised but is that enough, how will i know when those mini refreshers are running in background and for how much time do they last, if i know when those are taking place i'll just put the TV on that no signal screen or whatever state the tv needs to be in.

2000+ hour refresher actually gives a prompt so you know you will need to start the cleaner and leave the tv on for 1 hour and let lg do it's thing

I don't take any specific care. I watch whatever i want without rotating content as you mentioned. I would suggest you to not overthink this and enjoy it normally. It won't be a problem unless you are watching static content for more than 8 hours everyday

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NitroNeo said:

You don't have to do much.

Rotate the screen every hour or so if there are static elements otherwise you don't even need to do that.

Those mini refreshers basically run through a series of signals quickly so that the OLEDs themselves give up some memory, they aren't shortening the lifecycle. Just keep the option on and it will run it on its own.

2k+ one obviously just burns through the organic material.