The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

4 minutes ago, SuperT said:

If I am not mistaken the OLED runs a small Pixel Refresher when it is turned off when you have used the TV for more than 3/4 hrs

Yess this is what i am asking about, how do i know it's running, and what is the state the tv needs to be in for it to run properly, do i need to keep it on no signal frame wallpaper slideshow screen which runs for like 6-7 mins or do i need to press power button on remote so the screen turns off but the red light below the tv is still active indicating it's on standby. In both cases i am not turning off the tv from wall socket switch which would turn the tv completely off thus turning off any auto pixel cleaners.

1 minute ago, NitroNeo said:

Yess this is what i am asking about, how do i know it's running, and what is the state the tv needs to be in for it to run properly, do i need to keep it on no signal frame wallpaper slideshow screen which runs for like 6-7 mins or do i need to press power button on remote so the screen turns off but the red light below the tv is still active indicating it's on standby. In both cases i am not turning off the tv from wall socket switch which would turn the tv completely off thus turning off any auto pixel cleaners.

Bro, chill.

It will do that on its own. 

You shouldn't think this much as that will ruin your experience. You'll be constantly thinking about burn-in while you watch the TV.

4 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Yess this is what i am asking about, how do i know it's running

At least on the C8, you will NOT hear the "tak" or click sound if PR is running (after turning the screen off via remote). It runs after every 4 hours of cumulative screen on time. 

So press the power button on remote, but don't switch off TV from mains. 

Edited by Bird Bird Bird
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

Basically, the refresher runs when you turn it off using the remote if it has run for 4 hrs cumulative - always switch off the TV via the remote never from the main plug point, I always keep it on from the mains. My CX makes this ticking noise if you listen very closely but no sure way to know when it is running and for how long so just keep the TV on from the mains always and just use the remote to turn it on and off. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

>3 years now, and I have stopped giving sh*t about retention. The only thing I consciously do is to ensure a paused game screen doesn't stay for like 30 mins on the TV. 

That's it. 

I sometimes pause the game and go to homescreen mostly or sometimes pause it and keep the screen but in both cases i turn off tv display using remote so will this cause retention or am i doing correct and doing this wont cause any issues.

47 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Bro, chill.

It will do that on its own. 

You shouldn't think this much as that will ruin your experience. You'll be constantly thinking about burn-in while you watch the TV.

No man I'm not worried, consider me as a curious sheldon who likes to know the technical aspects of some functions, so i can better care for the product, i am actually using it worry free, and want the same experience to continue for a long time.

10 minutes ago, NitroNeo said:

I sometimes pause the game and go to homescreen mostly or sometimes pause it and keep the screen but in both cases i turn off tv display using remote so will this cause retention or am i doing correct and doing this wont cause any issues.

You can simply activate LG voice command, and say "Turn off the screen". 

This DOES NOT turn off the TV (and turning off the console too if running in CEC mode), but only turns off the screen. A button press on your remote or DS will turn on the screen again. 

54 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

At least on the C8, you will NOT hear the "tak" or click sound if PR is running (after turning the screen off via remote). It runs after every 4 hours of cumulative screen on time. 

So press the power button on remote, but don't switch off TV from mains. 

Now that you guys mention it, the c1 makes a tick sound when i turn it on from remote each time, here is how i turn tv on and of

for on, wall socket switch on then when tv displays red light, power key press on remote to turn on tv, this is when i hear tick sound

for turning it off, power key on remote to turn off, no tick sound while turning off, then when red light is on tv, turn off the power switch on the wall socket.

42 minutes ago, SuperT said:

Basically, the refresher runs when you turn it off using the remote if it has run for 4 hrs cumulative - always switch off the TV via the remote never from the main plug point, I always keep it on from the mains. My CX makes this ticking noise if you listen very closely but no sure way to know when it is running and for how long so just keep the TV on from the mains always and just use the remote to turn it on and off.

I'll keep the wall socket on for 10-15mins after turning off the tv then, since our area has some adani power cuts rarely but randomly, everyone at home is like lets just keep the wall socket power off for appliances like washing machine, oven, tv when not in use, so can't really keep it on in my case.

1 minute ago, NitroNeo said:

Hmm maybe my comments being big give you that impression, but i feel like i want to be more knowing, aware and alert about the product.

Just kidding man.

1 hour ago, NitroNeo said:

for turning it off, power key on remote to turn off, no tick sound while turning off, then when red light is on tv, turn off the power switch on the wall socket.

Nope. With the red light on, wait till you hear the "tick" sound before turning off from socket. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes. 

Else just get a good UPS for surge protection and 10-15 mins backup. 

Don't turn off from mains so quickly since you're not letting the pixel refresher run every 4 hours of SOT. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

>3 years now, and I have stopped giving sh*t about retention. The only thing I consciously do is to ensure a paused game screen doesn't stay for like 30 mins on the TV. 

That's it. 

I have been doing the same thing. Initially for first 3 months I was extra careful but then it was a bit annoying for me so I started using it normally. Now 2.5 years later and 7k+ hours later on my C9, it has been a non issue. 80% usage was as desktop screen and 20% for streaming /PS5 etc. The general advice of don't leave it on when having a static bright screen is all I followed. 8-10 hour HDR gaming sessions caused no issue. Even with Age of Empires 4 having many static HUDs, nothing got retained and I completed the game in a week to 10 days. So just be sensible with the usage and enjoy the TV! @NitroNeo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KunjanPSD said:

OLED, QD-OLED, Mini LED all around.

Gonna be a great year for buying a TV.

Exactly what I was waiting for.

Ya that's why i delayed my diwali purchase cos of this .....the ces lineup seemed promising according to the strong rumours....

But ya ,even Sony's lineup too is really impressive for qd-oled ...fingers crossed.....just hope they nail the pricing here ..

Edited by silv3rgunn3r