The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

5 hours ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

I’ve placed an order for Samsung Frame (2021) 65 inch model for 1.13L on an 18-month no-cost EMI. Is it a good deal or can I get something better for the same price? I mostly play SP games so 120hz isn’t a major priority for me.

Can someone help with this please? My budget is 1L (standard EMI), 1.2L (no-cost EMI for 12-18 months). I’d prefer a 65 inch TV since it’s for the living room. Can’t wait for any sales because I currently have no TV

Anyone know what's the best price on a 65 inch LG A1 OLED? I was considering getting a 55 inch C1 but now I'm thinking that I don't really need the gaming features and I would benefit much from the bigger display.

Prices I see so far:

55 inch LG A1 OLED - ₹ 93574 (Amazon, after 5% cashback)

55 inch LG C1 OLED - ₹ 112000 (local seller, after ICICI CC discount)

65 inch LG A1 OLED - ₹ 156749 (Amazon, after 5% cashback)

65 inch LG C1 OLED - ₹ 176415 (Amazon, after 5% cashback)

55 inch Samsung Neo QLED QN90A - ₹ 137645 (Amazon, after 5% cashback)

65 inch Samsung Neo QLED QN90A - ₹ ???

I saw the Neo QLED and OLED in a Reliance Digital store and I actually liked the picture on Neo QLED better. But I saw a comparison video that shows that gaming sucks on QLED and also it does not support Dolby Vision so now I am 75% sure of getting OLED.

As for OLED, I can buy the C1 but if as I won't spend a lot of time playing games, mostly will watch movies and TV shows and the games I play will be on PS5 or Switch, I think C1 is overkill so maybe A1 is enough. But then is it worth to pay 50% more to get the 65 inch instead of 55 inch?

13 hours ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

I’ve placed an order for Samsung Frame (2021) 65 inch model for 1.13L on an 18-month no-cost EMI. Is it a good deal or can I get something better for the same price? I mostly play SP games so 120hz isn’t a major priority for me.

At that budget I would compromise on the size but get an OLED. But that's just me though.

C2 prices going to be 20-30% higher than C1 :cry:https://www.tomsguide.com/news/lg-c2-oled-prices-just-leaked-and-were-hope-youre-sitting-down

3 hours ago, ox- said:

At that budget I would compromise on the size but get an OLED. But that's just me though.

C2 prices going to be 20-30% higher than C1 :cry:https://www.tomsguide.com/news/lg-c2-oled-prices-just-leaked-and-were-hope-youre-sitting-down

My initial plan was to get the 65 inch C1 down the line during some sale but that would require me to go TV-less for a couple of months or take a stop-gap TV on rent. But I had my fears with burn in and the high cost of OLEDs so didn’t really jump in. If I do wait for Dussehra/Diwali, how much do you think I can knock off from the current sale prices? 

I’m upgrading from a trash 43 inch Micromax 1080p LED which I’ve now had for 5 years and even back when I bought it it was dated, so the Frame itself is a huge upgrade. 

12 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

My initial plan was to get the 65 inch C1 down the line during some sale but that would require me to go TV-less for a couple of months or take a stop-gap TV on rent. But I had my fears with burn in and the high cost of OLEDs so didn’t really jump in. If I do wait for Dussehra/Diwali, how much do you think I can knock off from the current sale prices? 

I’m upgrading from a trash 43 inch Micromax 1080p LED which I’ve now had for 5 years and even back when I bought it it was dated, so the Frame itself is a huge upgrade. 

I've an LG C8, fifth year running. Unless your TV is running static images many hours a day, burn in chances are super rare. 

20 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

I've an LG C8, fifth year running. Unless your TV is running static images many hours a day, burn in chances are super rare. 

Oh awesome. What do you think is a good price to pay for the C1 55? If there isn’t much difference between prices now and during Diwali, I’d much rather buy now. The 65 would require that I wait but I don’t think I have the patience to do that :P

I jumped on the Frame because it was initially listed for 1.35 until recently and I randomly checked yesterday and saw it for 1.19 + 6k discount and 18 month no cost EMI for ICICI Cards. Was too tempting an offer. Figured I’d order and then decide if I should keep or cancel.

8 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Oh awesome. What do you think is a good price to pay for the C1 55? If there isn’t much difference between prices now and during Diwali, I’d much rather buy now. The 65 would require that I wait but I don’t think I have the patience to do that :P

I jumped on the Frame because it was initially listed for 1.35 until recently and I randomly checked yesterday and saw it for 1.19 + 6k discount and 18 month no cost EMI for ICICI Cards. Was too tempting an offer. Figured I’d order and then decide if I should keep or cancel.

Not aware of recent prices, but 55 C1 shouldn't be costlier than 1.2L or close during Diwali. 

Peeps who purchased last year would be able to comment better. 

5 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Not aware of recent prices, but 55 C1 shouldn't be costlier than 1.2L or close during Diwali. 

Peeps who purchased last year would be able to comment better. 

Oh, I saw someone post above that C1 is available locally at 1.12 after ICICI offers. I guess I’ll call stores in Bangalore to confirm.

But should I choose to stick to a 65 inch TV, is there anything better than Frame at that price point? 

53 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Oh, I saw someone post above that C1 is available locally at 1.12 after ICICI offers. I guess I’ll call stores in Bangalore to confirm.

But should I choose to stick to a 65 inch TV, is there anything better than Frame at that price point? 

Personally, I feel the real estate benefit of 65 over 55 is pretty huge. While OLEDs will offer excellent contrast, you can't go too wrong with either a good QLED or FALD (though blooming IS visible on black scenes). 

Not too sure about Frame. Haven't followed it for a while. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

My cousin got a x85j thinking the same but it's frankly dogshit. Red looks like orange, everything looks terribly washed out. 

Idk how good the other TVs in the range are but I'd strongly advise against going for budget or midrange TVs even for LCD sets. 

Good FALDs cost more than oled for whatever reason. 

Any opinions on the Frame? What it's boiling down to rn is either get 55 C1 or stick with Frame. Either TV would be a massive upgrade in terms of quality for me. So, in your opinion, is the smaller size a reasonable compromise to get better PQ. Whatever review I've seen of Frame says it's good but is the difference in quality THAT pronounced compared to a C1? 

13 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Any opinions on the Frame? What it's boiling down to rn is either get 55 C1 or stick with Frame. Either TV would be a massive upgrade in terms of quality for me. So, in your opinion, is the smaller size a reasonable compromise to get better PQ. Whatever review I've seen of Frame says it's good but is the difference in quality THAT pronounced compared to a C1? 

Given that you are coming from a very old TV, either will be a huge upgrade for you.

But over time, you will start noticing the blooming (especially if you watch in dark room) and if your usage is more towards movies. Not so much in games.

The difference is pronounced enough to notice especially if you spend considerable time watching.

So I will recommend getting an 55" C1 over 65" Frame or if it's possible then get 65" C1 and be done for years to come.

Then again, if your use case is in a well lit room and you aren't going to be spending considerable amount of time then go with Frame.

1 minute ago, KunjanPSD said:

Given that you are coming from a very old TV, either will be a huge upgrade for you.

But over time, you will start noticing the blooming (especially if you watch in dark room) and if your usage is more towards movies. Not so much in games.

The difference is pronounced enough to notice especially if you spend considerable time watching.

So I will recommend getting an 55" C1 over 65" Frame or if it's possible then get 65" C1 and be done for years to come.

Then again, if your use case is in a well lit room and you aren't going to be spending considerable amount of time then go with Frame.

The TV is mostly for gaming, some streaming and live football. The room isn’t dark so I guess blooming won’t be so noticeable? I would love to just get the C1 and forget about upgrades for a while but getting a 65” version isn’t possible right away and the 55” version seems like an unnecessary compromise considering what I’m coming from.

Frame it is. Thanks for the help, guys :)

That said, is the price I paid fair or does it go for cheaper than this elsewhere?

48 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Size over OLED. I've a Sony FALD in my parents room (X9500J), and while the blooming is visible when coming from an OLED, and I do prefer WebOS over whatever sh*t Google is smoking with Android TV, it'll work just fine if you don't have a point of comparison close by. The PQ is really good, and speakers are garbage, but that's a Sony issue. 

As long as you're fine living without Dolby Vision (Samsungs don't carry it), FALD/QLED will work fine. 

Have you checked Frame's PQ with other QLED/FALD/OLED in person ? 

@dante77 has a Frame. Maybe he can help you out with specific details. 

20 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Size over OLED. I've a Sony FALD in my parents room (X9500J), and while the blooming is visible when coming from an OLED, and I do prefer WebOS over whatever sh*t Google is smoking with Android TV, it'll work just fine if you don't have a point of comparison close by. The PQ is really good, and speakers are garbage, but that's a Sony issue. 

As long as you're fine living without Dolby Vision (Samsungs don't carry it), FALD/QLED will work fine. 

Have you checked Frame's PQ with other QLED/FALD/OLED in person ? 

@dante77 has a Frame. Maybe he can help you out with specific details. 

Thanks for the info! No, I haven’t compared the Frame with other TVs in person. It’s all been isolated instances, like I’ll see an OLED at a friend’s place etc.   Yeah, I’ve read that Samsung doesn’t have Dolby Vision and instead has HDR10+. Is that a huge trade off?

7 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Thanks for the info! No, I haven’t compared the Frame with other TVs in person. It’s all been isolated instances, like I’ll see an OLED at a friend’s place etc.   Yeah, I’ve read that Samsung doesn’t have Dolby Vision and instead has HDR10+. Is that a huge trade off?

I don't know tbh. Both Sony and LG support DV, and Netflix and Apple TV is also DV. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

X9500j is a flagship TV, man. You can't compare it with budget/mid range stuff like frame, x85, x90, etc. How much did it cost. If he can get x95j 65 inch for oled 55 price, it's not brainer to go for x95

Costed around 1.03L billed, but there was 10k or close cashback with CC. So 90k or so AFAIR. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Frame doesn't have blooming because it doesn't have local dimming. It's an edge lit panel. 

Also, it's brightness is lower than C1 so it's going to be worse in a bright setting than an oled. 

People give generalised advice without looking at the spec sheet. 

Oh yeah. Forgot that Frame is edge lit. Not FALD. No blooming. But them FALD/QLED/OLED 65 inches are not cheap. And however good the tech is, personally, size trumps all. 

I saw the Mi 75 inch TV recently, and size does make a super immersive experience. 

I’m riding in the same boat. 
Size Vs Quality. 

I can either buy 55” OLED with HDMI 2.1 features

or a 65” LED with HDMI 2.1 features

What would be best for next gen gaming on PS5/SX ?!? 

22 minutes ago, CtrlAltDev93 said:

Woah. Where do I get this deal? 

18 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

I seriously doubt he got x95j 65 inch for 90k. Must be x80 or x85. x95j didn't even launch in India as far as I can tell.

55inch. Not 65.  

X9500G. 

These f**king naming conventions. :ko:

Edited by Bird Bird Bird

10 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Bad viewing angles. Unless you are viewing head on, colors and brightness will start degrading.

I doubt if this is true. @dante77 has the 55 inch (2020) model, and I ate his head getting all feedback before going for X9500G. He specifically said there's little to no variation when viewing sideways.