The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

46 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

If the prices indeed end up being 100-500$ lower than LG and upto $1000 lower than Sony then it will be quite interesting because QD-OLED is turning out to be much better than the regular W-OLEDs and I don't expect C2 lineup to be QD-OLED, although top end Sony's might be.

With Google putting in ads/recommendations in Android TV, I am not even that sold on Sony anymore so it will mainly come down to performance because for everything else you can pretty much use a fire stick or some console but lack of DV is a bummer.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:59 PM, ox- said:

Thanks I did the same with VS got them to confirm that the LG folks have the table stand and yes they do!

They also verbally confirmed it’s a sealed piece never used before, so Im going to take their word for it!

Booked mine, should arrive tomorrow and installation the day after :)

Got the c1 delivered and installed today itself.

Checked power on time, was showing 1 hrs. The manufacture date was 29th Jan 2022 so fairly new. No dents / scratchs / marks on the TV anywhere/plastic screen guard.

Looks amazing! I have OLED brightness set to 100, contrast to 100, and "brightness" to 50. But this seems a bit low even in a fully dark room?

Brightness gets even lower when dolby vision kicks in. I think each profile has a different OLED brightness setting, going to try and increase it manually.

Also noticed that "Standard" mode is doing some kind of frame interpolation (but it's not a constant 24/30fps -> 60fps, something in between maybe?) WTF? Why is this on by default. Trying to disable this. Or am I missing something here?

19 hours ago, ox- said:

Got the c1 delivered and installed today itself.

Checked power on time, was showing 1 hrs. The manufacture date was 29th Jan 2022 so fairly new. No dents / scratchs / marks on the TV anywhere/plastic screen guard.

Looks amazing! I have OLED brightness set to 100, contrast to 100, and "brightness" to 50. But this seems a bit low even in a fully dark room?

Brightness gets even lower when dolby vision kicks in. I think each profile has a different OLED brightness setting, going to try and increase it manually.

Also noticed that "Standard" mode is doing some kind of frame interpolation (but it's not a constant 24/30fps -> 60fps, something in between maybe?) WTF? Why is this on by default. Trying to disable this. Or am I missing something here?

Yeah I felt the same, like the brightness is not enough. While watching in a dark room, my eyes are adding blooming. What panel did you get btw? You can find it by looking at the model information label on the box. OLED55C1PTZ.DTRQLJL something like that, the fourth letter after the period tells you the panel. P or W means EVO, Q or Y means normal panel.

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

Surprising seeing the brightness comments. I have C9 and even on it I have never felt that the brightness is low :huh:

I suspect its more to do with the colors. When I switched to OLED I also felt that the brightness was less specially in DV/HDR content. But I was used to watching hdr stuff on my older tvs with vivid mode and the colors would just pop (unnatural obviously). OLED on filmmaker mode or DV mode doesn't do that and hence I think its more of a perception maybe ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sach4life said:

Surprising seeing the brightness comments. I have C9 and even on it I have never felt that the brightness is low :huh:

Same. C8 here. 

Newbies to LG OLED, you can try turning off ABSL or whatever it’s called nowadays via service menu. Of course, it’s risky, so beware. 
Google “LG OLED turn off ABSL” for more info. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

C2 has the Evo panel. C1 panel is same as CX and C9.

Some C1s are being shipped with Evo panels. Obviously LG won't make it look like the panel of G1 but it means, the C1 can have a G1/C2 panel running under "spec" so that would mean that it has any efficiency/burn-in related improvements that come with the new panels.

You can even do some hack that makes the C1 think its a G1 and run the panel brighter although that can probably deteriorate it faster.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gavara Tarun said:

Yeah I felt the same, like the brightness is not enough. While watching in a dark room, my eyes are adding blooming. What panel did you get btw? You can find it by looking at the model information label on the box. OLED55C1PTZ.DTRQLJL something like that, the fourth letter after the period tells you the panel. P or W means EVO, Q or Y means normal panel.

I have a normal panel too ?. QLED55C1XTZ.DTRQLJL . Date of manufacture is 29th Jan 2022.

6 hours ago, Sach4life said:

Yeah I think I am adjusted to it now though, but yes the brightness is definitely not upto the mark. Especially in a dark room.

4 hours ago, SuperT said:

I suspect its more to do with the colors. When I switched to OLED I also felt that the brightness was less specially in DV/HDR content. But I was used to watching hdr stuff on my older tvs with vivid mode and the colors would just pop (unnatural obviously). OLED on filmmaker mode or DV mode doesn't do that and hence I think its more of a perception maybe ?

This may not be the only reason but yes I think this does play a factor. I am CONSTANTLY switching profiles in everything I see to figure out what to use and all modes except VIVID and STANDARD are too yellowish. But then I opened a video with pure snow and Normal and Vivid feels too blueish and completely unnatural. Whereas the filmmaker and expert modes look much more believable.

Definitely takes some adjusting.

4 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Same. C8 here. 

Newbies to LG OLED, you can try turning off ABSL or whatever it’s called nowadays via service menu. Of course, it’s risky, so beware. 
Google “LG OLED turn off ABSL” for more info. 

^^Not risking this :scarerun:?

Okay so there is some confusion about the EMI I got from Vijay Sales. They said it's interest free EMI.

On cashslip it says payout after cashback = 117k, but then immediately below it says entitled for cashback 0? ICICI says it'll be 120.7k, VS says I'll get 3.6k cashback after 90 days but some other charges so total would be 118k. So confused right now :cry:

UfWhszW.png

Edited by ox-

1 hour ago, ox- said:

Okay so there is some confusion about the EMI I got from Vijay Sales. They said it's interest free EMI.

On cashslip it says payout after cashback = 117k, but then immediately below it says entitled for cashback 0? ICICI says it'll be 120.7k, VS says I'll get 3.6k cashback after 90 days but some other charges so total would be 118k. So confused right now :cry:

UfWhszW.png

I am assuming some other charges is most probably service charge and GST.

It's weird but I think you are good to go, just keep this slip till the end of 90 days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenzooru said:

Amazon has LG G1 for 1.40L.  Too good to be true? It’s Amazon fulfilled, so tempted.

At that price I'd wait for the C2.

10 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

You'll get whatever is on the slip. If the slip says it's 0, you aren't getting jack. 

Fudge it, I'm not stressing about this anymore. Whatever happens

On 3/23/2022 at 3:12 PM, ox- said:

UfWhszW.png

Merchant cashback is not what you get, the shop f**kers are reading this incorrectly and scamming customers.. In your case it says zero so yeah its zero. If you want to pre-close the loan u can do it right now as no cashback will come and you can save some interest.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:12 PM, ox- said:

UfWhszW.png

Also check start of the bill. If there is any kind of discount there for using card EMI, then you are definitely not getting any cashback. 

I also got fooled by Reliance Digital. They told me to not cancel the EMI for 90 days and wait for cashback which never came. I called up HDFC and they refused to pay anything back to me. They  said, that that merchant cashback has already been paid to the merchant. I went to RD to fight and they said that the sales agent gave me incorrect info. I was never supposed to get the amount mentioned as merchant cashback. I requested for the sales agent and they claimed that he doesnt work with them anymore.

So, if you want to save interest by cancelling EMI, do it now. Dont wait 90 days. Anyways the interest you will save by immediate foreclosure should be more than that cashback amount. 

• Sad 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:56 PM, Bird Bird Bird said:

TV installation guy quoted 2600, but the engineer quoted 1300. Got a sealed LG remote pack from the latter, with invoice from LG directly.  

I got it for 1749 from LG

4 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

How the f**k are there so many variations in price for the same remote ?

God only knows, you have the part number that was given to you?