The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

Currently using 46" 1080p LED TV bought in 2013.

Want to upgrade to 4k since many years, but didn't due to cost and job situation. The new TV will effectively be used as a monitor and will not be connected to WiFi or Ethernet at all.

Requirements

1. Screen size between 46" and 50". Don't want to downsize from 46". But 55" and above is too big for my room and will definitely cause discomfort.

2. Primary use is for Console gaming. Want response time and other specifications to be optimized for near monitor level specifications. Not concerned about picture enhancements, colour accuracy, post processing. Infact would prefer the absence or the option to turn it off.

3. Would like it to be durable. I do not want problems within 12-24 months. I desire it to last minimum 4-5 years.

I'm not concerned about brand value at all. I give equal consideration to any YokohamaKimLeeScarlett brands. Not restricted to Samsung, LG, Sony.

9 hours ago, eddy4823 said:

It runs for a while. If I fast forward it, it hangs. Only tried a 13 GB version of Avengers from a 14 GB old pen drive. 

I use external SSD and it runs absolutely fine for me. 

What you can do is borrow someone's external SSD and see if it works fine for you. If it works, I highly recommend you buy SSD. The transfer speed is phenomenal especially considering 4ks are usually above 14GB.

Won't recommend HDD

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

HDD also works fine. I've hoarded over 20 TB, and they play 4k HDR Bluray remuxes just fine. Even LOTR remasters. 

Any suggestions ? I have an external HDD but it's not being recognised by my TV. Is it because it's in exFAT format ? 

Edited by eddy4823

2 hours ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

HDD also works fine. I've hoarded over 20 TB, and they play 4k HDR Bluray remuxes just fine. Even LOTR remasters. 

No. I mean their copy speed is slow. It's not future proof when you get upgraded laptop that has 3.1 or type C. Hdd will give you the same speed regardless of which port you use. 

SSD will massively boost the speed. 

2 minutes ago, dante77 said:

No. I mean their copy speed is slow. It's not future proof when you get upgraded laptop that has 3.1 or type C. Hdd will give you the same speed regardless of which port you use. 

SSD will massively boost the speed. 

That's just the copy speed to the HDD. For data hoarding, SSD is super costly. My laptop has 2 TB4 ports, and 2 USB 3.2. Yes, SSD is faster, and also 5x the price. Good if you're not into hoarding or running NAS. 

10 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

That's just the copy speed to the HDD. For data hoarding, SSD is super costly. My laptop has 2 TB4 ports, and 2 USB 3.2. Yes, SSD is faster, and also 5x the price. Good if you're not into hoarding or running NAS. 

Agree for hoarding, HDD is better. I watch a movie and delete them immediately lol. My SSD is almost always empty. 

6 hours ago, XBOX36O said:

Currently using 46" 1080p LED TV bought in 2013.

Want to upgrade to 4k since many years, but didn't due to cost and job situation. The new TV will effectively be used as a monitor and will not be connected to WiFi or Ethernet at all.

Requirements

1. Screen size between 46" and 50". Don't want to downsize from 46". But 55" and above is too big for my room and will definitely cause discomfort.

2. Primary use is for Console gaming. Want response time and other specifications to be optimized for near monitor level specifications. Not concerned about picture enhancements, colour accuracy, post processing. Infact would prefer the absence or the option to turn it off.

3. Would like it to be durable. I do not want problems within 12-24 months. I desire it to last minimum 4-5 years.

I'm not concerned about brand value at all. I give equal consideration to any YokohamaKimLeeScarlett brands. Not restricted to Samsung, LG, Sony.

Depends on your budget 

if you can afford it get the 48 inch LG c1 oled tv

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

Depends on your budget 

if you can afford it get the 48 inch LG c1 oled tv

Nice suggestion. I saw the US pricing of $1049 which is somewhat manageable. But they sell the exact same model for 1.8 lakhs here in India which is out of my budget.

My maximum budget is 1 lakh INR. I'm open to forego OLED and compromise with mainstream LED TVs.

Want suggestions as to what is the "best among the rest"

1 hour ago, XBOX36O said:

Nice suggestion. I saw the US pricing of $1049 which is somewhat manageable. But they sell the exact same model for 1.8 lakhs here in India which is out of my budget.

My maximum budget is 1 lakh INR. I'm open to forego OLED and compromise with mainstream LED TVs.

Want suggestions as to what is the "best among the rest"

If you buy it in offline stores you can get the 48 inch model for 89k or so. I had been to Croma few months back and they were ready to bill at that price.

Since you have a budget of 1 lakh and require less than 55 inch this tv maybe suitable for you.

You can research a bit about this on YouTube or Reddit , it’s like the go-to TV for most gamers.

Edited by silv3rgunn3r

On 4/1/2022 at 11:01 PM, abhi90 said:

Doesn't work for TrueHD :cry:

TrueHD is Dolby right? Should work natively multi-channel 

DTS multi-channel isn’t supported so we have to force stereo through linear pcm setting

this is afaik 

20 hours ago, silv3rgunn3r said:

If you buy it in offline stores you can get the 48 inch model for 89k or so. I had been to Croma few months back and they were ready to bill at that price.

Since you have a budget of 1 lakh and require less than 55 inch this tv maybe suitable for you.

You can research a bit about this on YouTube or Reddit , it’s like the go-to TV for most gamers.

I'm convinced about the TV. If I can get it for the pricing that you suggest, I will go for it. Thank You.

21 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

You will easily get it for less than 1 lakh in retail stores. Just go and check. 

Ok. I will check. Thanks.

Ok guys, By the end of next month I’ll have saves enough to get a 55” OLED.

Now the question is, do I buy it right away or wait till diwali etc

Also which one do I get C1,G1 or something.

Guide me OLED gang

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snake said:

Ok guys, By the end of next month I’ll have saves enough to get a 55” OLED.

Now the question is, do I buy it right away or wait till diwali etc

Also which one do I get C1,G1 or something.

Guide me OLED gang

G1 if you got the money, C1 otherwise.

I am not aware of the prices but if 65 C1 is more or less same as 55 G1 then go for 65.

Wait till Diwali.

Edited by KunjanPSD
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

G1 if you got the money, C1 otherwise.

I am not aware of the prices but if 65 C1 is more or less same as 55 G1 then go for 65.

Wait till Diwali.

I can go till 1.20, no idea how much the G1 is

14 minutes ago, Snake said:

I can go till 1.20, no idea how much the G1 is

Wait till Diwali mate, that is the best time and you get best price to buy!!

I liked the Neo QLED also, but well blacks are blacks only on OLED, though the former  gets really bright.

• Thanks 1