The TV Decision Making Thread

Bulovski

1 hour ago, Chirag2001 said:

I wish remote play worked well, that way I could just use my laptop screen. But its really laggy and annoying, its okay for the bare minimum, like downloading updates or adding PS Plus games to the library. Unless anybody knows a way that it could work perfectly with minimal problems?

it works well

Atleast the iPhone app does :fear:

I was actually surprised how ezily it connects to PS4 and how smooth the gameplay seems, only drawback is small iphone screen.

btw i have never used remote play on rest mode so there's that.

Edited by PhantomShade

1 hour ago, AtheK said:

Do you have component port on the TV, maybe try a hdmi to component convertor and see if it works. 

Thats a good thought, there is a component port. But not sure if the PS4 will work with HDMI to component, and I don't think I have that specific adaptor at home.

Should be cheap enough to buy, but have you ever tried that?

28 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

it works well

Atleast the iPhone app does :fear:

I was actually surprised how ezily it connects to PS4 and how smooth the gameplay seems, only drawback is small iphone screen.

btw i have never used remote play on rest mode so there's that.

Thats not a worry, the PS4 itself can stay on. If if works smooth on iPhone wonder why I had trouble on the desktop app. I'll check it.

And I could try it on my iPad, should also work like the iPhone but bigger screen :) 

Changed up the settings, and the quality and smoothness is a lot better. Its nowhere near as good as I'd like but its playable :)

Big relief.

The fact that I play a lot of Apex Legends, an online FPS game doesn't help. With the lag and frame rate dips, will mostly play some other offline story-based titles for now.

I'm happy to be playing anything at all.

Edit: I'm using my laptop for the screen.

Edited by Chirag2001

1 minute ago, Chirag2001 said:

Changed up the settings, and the quality and smoothness is a lot better. Its nowhere near as good as I'd like but its playable :)

Big relief.

The fact that I play a lot of Apex Legends, an online FPS game doesn't help. With the lag and frame rate dips, will mostly play some other offline story-based titles for now.

I'm happy to be playing anything at all.

Edit: I'm using my laptop for the screen.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:53 PM, Chirag2001 said:

I've got the 100% on this one too, wish this had a Plat. Considering that I've spent hundreds of hours in this game, which I could've used to get myself a couple of shiny trophies.

Addiction to MP games, :wallbash:My God of War, Spiderman and HZD, all 3 are in the sealed wraps because of this game :ranting:

Time to unwrap those games :naughty:

2 hours ago, Chirag2001 said:

I wish remote play worked well, that way I could just use my laptop screen. But its really laggy and annoying, its okay for the bare minimum, like downloading updates or adding PS Plus games to the library. Unless anybody knows a way that it could work perfectly with minimal problems?

I'm not at my PC but I can check when I start work later tonight. I played Uc4 and GTSport a few weeks back with minimal lag. My PC is hardwired to the router, not sure if that made the difference.

18 minutes ago, Walker said:

I'm not at my PC but I can check when I start work later tonight. I played Uc4 and GTSport a few weeks back with minimal lag. My PC is hardwired to the router, not sure if that made the difference.

Yeah I'm over WiFi, and my laptop doesn't support the 5Ghz network. Anyway I did try, its okay for now. But it would be nice if you could check how it is on your end. 

22 minutes ago, PhantomShade said:

Time to unwrap those games :naughty:

Yes its a good chance to finally play them.

I did try playing Apex online. There's a lag, and I'm not used to how it works on this display, but will get used to it.

But yes, will play some actual SP games for once.

I have a 2016 1080p resolution LG HD TV with webos, sitting in my living room. it does not support many apps, currently has Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime. 

i cant game in the hall cause family watches satellite TV, therefore  and i  am planning to get a 65 inch display for gaming and movies for my room.

i was thinking of picking up the latest TCL 65 inch 4k model 65P8 or similar.

i am planning on connecting my pc for gaming as well as the PS4. i have a lapboard so i can play sitting a few feet away. 

activity - movies and gaming

can some of you advice which brand and model i should go with.

budget 60,000 INR. 

59 minutes ago, pbpoovannagamer said:

any advice on 4k Tvs? 60K Budget. 

what screen size do you want, there is LG UM7300, comes in sizes from 43 to 65 inch, 43 inch one costs about 45K afaik, IPS, 4K, HDR, HLG, LG WebOS for the le Smartv features.

I was looking at this TV, that's how i know all this, Sony TVs are cash grab in the name of brand, Samsung uses VA panels only for it's 4K TVs, and cheeni brands are cheeni so avoid.

LG seems to be the only good option 

https://www.amazon.in/LG-inches-Nano-Cell-49SM8100PTA-Ceramic/dp/B07SJ7CBGP/ref=pd_lpo_504_t_2/261-9489313-4184142?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SJ7CBGP&pd_rd_r=22524fb1-cc79-44ad-ad5e-6cbaa052eacd&pd_rd_w=oCnfq&pd_rd_wg=TiELD&pf_rd_p=5a903e39-3cff-40f0-9a69-33552e242181&pf_rd_r=WANCQR84QQ5RTKB6RS6F&psc=1&refRID=WANCQR84QQ5RTKB6RS6F

There is also this SM8100 model, comes at 62k on amazon, idk how much it costs irl, this one has NanoCell, which is basically the poor man's OLED i guess.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:05 PM, PhantomShade said:

what screen size do you want, there is LG UM7300, comes in sizes from 43 to 65 inch, 43 inch one costs about 45K afaik, IPS, 4K, HDR, HLG, LG WebOS for the le Smartv features.

I was looking at this TV, that's how i know all this, Sony TVs are cash grab in the name of brand, Samsung uses VA panels only for it's 4K TVs, and cheeni brands are cheeni so avoid.

https://www.amazon.in/LG-inches-Nano-Cell-49SM8100PTA-Ceramic/dp/B07SJ7CBGP/ref=pd_lpo_504_t_2/261-9489313-4184142?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07SJ7CBGP&pd_rd_r=22524fb1-cc79-44ad-ad5e-6cbaa052eacd&pd_rd_w=oCnfq&pd_rd_wg=TiELD&pf_rd_p=5a903e39-3cff-40f0-9a69-33552e242181&pf_rd_r=WANCQR84QQ5RTKB6RS6F&psc=1&refRID=WANCQR84QQ5RTKB6RS6F

There is also this SM8100 model, comes at 62k on amazon, idk how much it costs irl, this one has NanoCell, which is basically the poor man's OLED i guess.

Thanks @PhantomShade i am looking at 65 inch 4k, yes i am comparing TCL, LG and Samsung. i am also seeing that only OLED Tvs are coming with 120 Hz refresh rates. buying a 4k tv in anticipation of the PS5. 

i also noticed that all models currently in 55 inch and 65 inch category is from 2019, not seeing any 2020 models 

So what is the difference between OLED and QLED?

I see from some reviews that OLED is good for dark rooms and QLED suits for Brighter rooms.

And i see Samsung Frame TV (QLED) 55inc at around 85k INR. So why isn't this TV being recommended/suggested here instead of LG OLED priced at 1.3L INR?

Just want to know what i am missing. Since Samsung comes with some gimmicks as well (photo frame design, burn in warranty etc).

Is the picture quality drastically superior on OLED?

I think VA panels are good. Check reviews. IPS is good for viewing angles but VA provides better contrast, so perfect for bedroom where you would usually watch directly from the front!

2 hours ago, Pacifier said:

So what is the difference between OLED and QLED?

I see from some reviews that OLED is good for dark rooms and QLED suits for Brighter rooms.

And i see Samsung Frame TV (QLED) 55inc at around 85k INR. So why isn't this TV being recommended/suggested here instead of LG OLED priced at 1.3L INR?

Just want to know what i am missing. Since Samsung comes with some gimmicks as well (photo frame design, burn in warranty etc).

Is the picture quality drastically superior on OLED?

Qled is a variation of normal LED tvs only, with a higher pixel array count and higher brightness compared to LED. 

OLED has self illuminating pixels. So infinite contrast and pitch black plus it has better colours.

OLED however can suffer from potential burn in . Though its by abusing the TV and not by normal usage.

Both look amazing but side by side OLED will look a bit better. If youre going for a high end qled it will look amazing as well. Not sure about the frame tv though.

29 minutes ago, Chirag2001 said:

Yeah LG OLEDs are the way to go if you have the money to burn.

And this thread has all the details about OLED and QLED and all that jazz if you go back a couple pages. 

@playstationdude could pitch in as I think you use an LG OLED? B9 I believe? 

Yeah, and its money well spent. The PQ upgrade is defintely much noticeable over my regular 4k LED. 

The thing is. OLED is way too expensive. Not gonna spend that much on a TV. I don't see any better options. If this tv has better picture quality than One Plus or any other Chinese brand then I am good. It also offers 120hz refresh rate and 4 hdmi and other high end features. What other options we have in terms of picture quality?

• Snake changed the title to The TV Decision Making (Buy Whatever You Want) Thread