The Football Thread

Xeno

13 hours ago, Joe Cool said:

The 2018 nominees for the PFA Young Player of the Year!

1. Kane
  2. Sterling

Why are these two even nominated? Kane only makes the age group because of a technicality. Sterling had his breakout season 5 full years ago. Michael Owen's career was practically over at 24 and he'd have been eligible for the award for every single season of his career (all 7 of them) until then. Complete waste of an award.

8 minutes ago, Banz said:

Why are these two even nominated? Kane only makes the age group because of a technicality. Sterling had his breakout season 5 full years ago. Michael Owen's career was practically over at 24 and he'd have been eligible for the award for every single season of his career (all 7 of them) until then. Complete waste of an award.

Criteria is 23 years old. Sterling fits in regardless the quality because of the age. Ederson on a technicality as he is 24 too but just by 4 days. 

Kane doesn't deserve the nomination as he was 24 before the season started and he also has 200+ league games in his career. Joke of a selection. 

The criteria of 23 itself is useless. Footballers debut at the age of 17-18. A 23 year old footballer isn't considered particularly young. In Sterling's case he has played regular football for 5-6 seasons now and nearing 200 league appearances himself. He is a fully established player. Now isn't really the time for him to be nominated. They should have given him the award years ago. Worst part is he will be eligible next year also. Dele Alli will also be eligible for 2 more seasons. Why??

Atleast in Ederson's case, he is a goalkeeper and they don't peak until much later. A 24 year old keeper is considered young.

If the people engaged in this nomination business can't use common sense to select the players maybe there should be better rules for eligibility. Players should be eligible for their first 3 seasons. Or they should be under 21. Sometimes they should stop to consider why 2 awards are being given. 

2 hours ago, Banz said:

If the people engaged in this nomination business can't use common sense to select the players maybe there should be better rules for eligibility. Players should be eligible for their first 3 seasons. Or they should be under 21. Sometimes they should stop to consider why 2 awards are being given. 

It should be under 21 for sure. 

1 hour ago, goDofWar_skr said:

So city are crowned champions today.. Like there was any possibility of anything otherwise ?

Oh, dear god, kill me softly. VAdqpQg.png 

Bas Dost retires from the Dutch National Team. 

Arturo Vidal out for the rest of the season, due to surgery.

Pogdab and drama continue. 

___

Pokal semi-final today

Bayer vs. Bayern

Time: 20:45 CET

Venue: BayArena, Leverkusen

______

PFA Premier League TOTY!  

David De Gea

Kyle Walker - Jan Vertonghen - Nicolás Otamendi - Marcos Alonso

David Silva - Kevin De Bruyne - Christian Eriksen

Harry Kane - Mohamed Salah - Sergio Agüero

Wow, he really is stepping down. End of an era. Will be weird to see Arsenal without him. 

“After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season.

“I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.

“I managed the club with full commitment and integrity.

“I want to thank the staff, the players, the Directors and the fans who make this club so special.

“I urge our fans to stand behind the team to finish on a high.

“To all the Arsenal lovers take care of the values of the club.

"My love and support forever.”

Merci Arsène. 63qcEZt.png