The Football Thread

Xeno

Only PSG or City can afford him. Neymar-Messi or Pep-Messi is going to be back. 

Bit disappointed or sad. I always looked him as 1 club legend. Barca messed up really bad to make Messi angry enough to not renew. ?

"Despite an agreement having been reached between FC Barcelona and Leo Messi and with the clear intention of both parties to sign a new contract today, it cannot be formalised due to economic and structural obstacles (Spanish La Liga regulations)

In view of this situation, Lionel Messi will not continue to be linked to FC Barcelona. Both parties deeply regret that in the end it will not be possible to fulfil the wishes of both the player and the Club.

Barça would like to thank the player for his contribution to the growth of the institution and wishes him all the best in his personal and professional life".

Will be really weird to see Messi in a non-Barca shirt. :(

I feel City most likely is where he will end up. Relations with Pep might be the clincher.

Or he can put all speculation to rest and go back to one of his native clubs in Argentina and see out his career there.

2 minutes ago, VelivolusDas said:

Or he can put all speculation to rest and go back to one of his native clubs in Argentina and see out his career there.

Nah. Don't see it happen for another 3-5 years. He is still top of the game. 

Either City or PSG. 

1 hour ago, Joe Cool said:

Bit disappointed or sad. I always looked him as 1 club legend. Barca messed up really bad to make Messi angry enough to not renew. ?

If this is true, Laporta is thinking is about the future of the club rather than try to keep Messi for an extra 2-3 years. 

Laporta 

"Leo wanted to stay at Barca. We wanted him to stay. 

"I want to hank everyone that has been in the negotiations. There were lots of aspects that needed to be negotiated. 

"He is the best player in the world and has other offers, of course. 

"After all of this process, there comes a moment where you have to say 'enough'. You have to analyse it and look at the numbers. 

"In La Liga we have to abide by the rules. We think they could be more flexible, but that is not an excuse. We couldn't abide by it. 

"Leo deserves everything. He has proven that he loves Barca. He has his roots in Barcelona. I'm sad but I'm convinced we have done the best for the interests of Barcelona."

Laporta added: "Leo's legacy is excellent, he has made history. He is the player with the most success in the history of the club. I hope we can overcome this situation.

"A new era starts now. There will before and after Leo, as there was with other great players in the history of Barca."

Is there any chance of Messi staying?

"I don't want to generate false hope. 

"During the course of negotiations we know that the player has had other offers. There was a time limit. 

"If fair play continues to be rigid, the player needs some time to see what he is going to do and look at other options. 

"We have been at it for two months and have gone through different stages. The first agreement was two years. Then we agreed a five-year contract. 

"We were all thinking of two years and if he wanted more, we could sit and negotiate. We wanted the era of post-Messi to start in two years, but we have had to bring that forward."

Why couldn't Barca do a deal with Messi?

"The salary mass is 110 per cent of the total income of the club, we don't have any margin in terms of salary. 

"The rules and regulations of the Spanish La Liga is regulated by Financial Fair Play and we don't have any margin. 

"We knew that when we got to the club, but the numbers that have been presented to us, they are a lot worse that were exposed initially and those that we were working with. That means that the losses are more than we had expected. 

"What we are spending is a lot more than we expected and the current contracts mean that we have this salary mass of great magnitude. 

"This is all tied to fair play. La Liga doesn't follow the criteria of cash, that is why we couldn't fit in the first contract that we agreed with Leo Messi. 

"In order to meet fair play, Barca had to agree to an operation that would impact the club for the next 50 years in terms of television rights. That means that we can't make a decision that impacts the club for the next 50 years. 

"The club is more than 100 years old and is above everything - even the best player in the world. We will always thank him for everything he has done for us. The club goes above players, the president.