The Football Thread

Xeno

Harry is in a bind now and its starting to get really late to make super critical decisions. He is going to lose Modric or keep him and have a back of potatoes running on the pitch. I think Spurs did themselves in yesterday, the defense played cluster football and allowed movement right in front of the DMF position (as I predicted). That offered so much clear distribution and the rest was three goals in the back of the net. De Gea can count his stars that the defensive line did its job and if VDV had been a little smarter, he would have created more chances by getting closer. It was a little funny to see strikers trying to create incisive passes and run the midfield when an AMF should be doing that, totally strange.

My first visit to Old Trafford and what a day it was... Fantastic second half by United. A big 3-0!

As soon as I reached my seat, I saw a cover with a complementary scarf with "Champ19s" on it.... Courtesy: DHL. The stadium and the cacophony at Old Trafford is truly exceptional. The supporters at Stretford End are the craziest. Spent some time with them at the United pub singing United chants... The seats at the stadium are strategically placed and provide a great view of all the action. Brilliant in the sense that you can see almost everything from every corner. I was a bit skeptical cause my seat was at the top tier but the whole match was visible nicely and my binoculars were rendered useless (except when I wanted to watch the players celebrate or take corners).

Now speaking of the match, De Gea needs to find some sort of an authoritative presence in the box very soon... He almost cost us another goal today after a lob into the box slipped between his fingers (thankfully the shot on goal rattled the cross bar). Regarding other player performances, I felt the back 4 did a phenomenal job. Phil Jones sliding tackle to deny a Tottenham player a shot on goal was met with an appreciative roar by the crowd. That tackle gave me immense joy. All I can say is that our defense looks safe under this young contingent.

Speaking of Young, the new number 18 is electric when he is on the ball... Bundle of energy and a great delivery at the end of it. Was surprised to see Chicharito play today. But he was lively as usual. Anderson I think was really effective in both the halves of the game. Very calm and spraying passes at ease. Cleverley still needs time. Welbeck was hassling the opponents in the first half but after his goal, he was playing exceptionally well. That back heel to set Ando up for an easy goal :majesty:

All in all great experience. I am going to OT again for the Arsenal match... Hope to have more fun this time. :wOOtjumpy:

PS: About the Sneijder pics, lemme tell you - I hit a few pubs before the match and found atleast 5 Sneijder look-alikes. My friend says it's an omen... :lol:

where r the pics nikkiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?????????????????????????????

Juan Mata has revealed that he turned down the chance to join both Arsenal and Tottenham before opting for Chelsea.

Both Arsenal and Tottenham were strongly linked with the 23-year-old earlier in the summer, and he has now confirmed that did snub approaches from the North London rivals.

"I want to come to England to win trophies - and that's why I accepted Chelsea's offer," Mata told The Sun.

"It was also a question of sporting achievement, not money. Arsenal and Tottenham were both interested in me but they did not compare with the Blues.

"I want the Premier League title and this is possible at Chelsea.

"Fernando Torres helped influence my decision but speaking directly with Villas-Boas was the decisive factor.

"He explained how his style will be based on 4-3-3 and how important I will be to his plans.

"Frank Lampard is a monster of a footballer to play alongside and the prospect of that is incredible."

:giggle:

Good on you Nasri. Now he is going to be playing with some very good passers and who knows he might actually win something too. Its sad whats become of Arsenal because at one time they were literally running other teams ragged. I guess its a cycle and this too shall come to pass. Either that or Wenger will lol.

good luck to Nasri, he is going to a top club which will definitely challenge for top honors.... unfortunately we are just a feeder club for the likes of City :( Its amazing what this summer has done to Arsenal, we are no more a big club as already claimed by Wenger and we have started a rebuilding process yet again. I think Wenger is going to walk away next season(to PSG) and it will take us a good number of years to get back among the top clubs in Europe but we will get back I am sure :)

Also, it seems that Wilshere is out for 2 months now. So, its basically a fight to be in the top 8 or 10 now :(

It will all change, this is how the cycle goes. I can remember a time when Brazillians were hogging the limelight and now its Spain this and Spain that. The next WC will see some massive changes in the football paradigm or we may even get lucky and see it before then. Wenger has to go and there is no two ways about it. The club is probably past its melting point and now the fans are even starting to feel cursed. He is still a great coach but he has done all he can at Arsenal and its time to move on.