The Football Thread

Xeno

hutu8etu.jpg

Foul by lambert on vidic which led to southamptons goal.. cant understand how referee missed it and Salute to Vidic for still playing the whole game.. What a defender he is.. Our Serbinator !!! He will be missed.. wish he stayed :( :(

Its been time for evra to go. Have been very inconsistent past 3 seasons.

Now get 2 Centre mid and 1 good CB and we should be set. Maybe a winger to replace young. :fear:

Congrats City, hard luck 'Pool. Really good end to one hell of a league campaign, each team having such ups and downs (none more than us though lol). Onto FA Cup :punk:

A Season where Hope And Pride Restored at Anfield.

From 7th to 2nd and only 2 points off a team that broke the FFP and spent 100 Million in the summer. Also finished above the Special 1 and his little horse.

Oh and Manchester United fans who will pride in our failure to win the league, please enjoy this cause thats the only way you guys can enjoy nowadays.

As much as I dislike Arsenal fans, I like Wenger and hope he wins the FA Cup.

Very Very Proud with this team.

LFC For Life

Really? :(

It's sky sports, it has to be true.

Look at the bigger picture here though. It will be money well spent if he stays here for 10-15 years and he looks destined to be one of the best.

Rooney/Rio in retrospect is one hell of a deal even though it looked inflated at that time.

End of a great season for all Liverpool fans. Congratulations to the team for a fantastic performance and exceeding all our expectations :majesty:. We saw some great attacking football from our team and it was just a treat to watch us play like the good old days.

Now most people here are saying that we are never going to get a better chance at winning the league and this is the closest we have come in 20+ years. I am surprised how Liverpool fans have not mentioned the 2008-09 season. We were firmly in the title race 5 years back as well and finished with 86 points that season compared to 84 in this campaign. That time we lost to a relentless Man United side who scored 90 points compared to City who got 86 this time. Now, if I had to give my opinion then I would say that we deserved to win the title in the 2008-09 season more than we did this time. I'm not taking anything away from Man Utd as only a team like theirs could manage 90 points in EPL and that is what was needed to stop us. Whenever I thought about United that season, I usually felt like :ranting: but more than that, it was :majesty:

Now, why do I say we deserved it more that time? Because we had a more balanced squad with experienced players. We scored 77 that season and conceded just 27 goals. Ofcourse I am sad that we didn't win the EPL this time but in my opinion, a team that concedes 50 goals in one EPL season does not deserve to win the title. Too many times this season have our strikers bailed us out and the law of averages had to catch up. I am really proud of the striking duo of Suarez-Sturridge and the support provided by Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson and Gerrard. It was refreshing seeing us play like this and never giving up even when it seemed like we were down and out.

I am quite shocked that people are claiming that Lucas has lost his touch/ is not working in the system. He was great at the start of the season and during his injury, Gerrard was playing in the defensive role. After coming back from it, Lucas has been played out of position most of the time. Although Gerrard has been brilliant as a leader and his passes this season have been among the best I have seen in his entire career, his deep lying role has led to us leaving open spaces in defence. Lucas is vital to our team due to his interceptions and his positioning. He is an unsung hero and if I really had to point out a weak link in this squad then it would be Joe Allen. I still do not have a lot of confidence in his abilities and he seems lightweight in this team because he is neither a very good tackler nor a great passer.

Overall, a great season and congratulations to Manchester City for winning the title.

I remember someone posted here how Liverpool fans celebrated when City won the title on GD in 2011-12. I was quite active in the forums that time and I don't remember us doing that.

Edited by Chief
  • Like 2

Ofcourse I am sad that we didn't win the EPL this time but in my opinion, a team that concedes 50 goals in one EPL season does not deserve to win the title.

Mate I'd be the first one to acknowledge our defensive frailties but with all due respect a team that scores the most points after 38 games is the only one who 'deserves' to win the league (yeah no sh*t eh?) whether it concedes 50 goals or 100 goals. The points tally is the only stat that matters in the end. Yes we need to work on our defence but if we've won the league, none would've been arsed whether conceding so many goals merits a team lifting the PL.

Lucas is not comfortable/effective in this new position that he's being asked to play in. Yes he was initially an AM but that was eons ago almost literally. He looks too sluggish when he's asked to press higher up the pitch or asked to move the ball forward quickly. He's not very mobile either for this kind of style. IMO only one of him or Stevie should play in the first 11.

He works well when he is sitting ahead of the defence & has two players like Allen & Henderson ahead of him, like against spurs at WHL or City at Etihad. But Rodgers is reluctant to move Stevie out of that DM slot. I think what BR wants is a pivot who has good positioning sense but crucially is able to sense forward runs quickly & spread the ball forward in a dynamic fashion. I just get a sense that somehow he's reluctant to trust Lucas with that hence the persistence with Stevie in that role, or maybe he doesn't wants Stevie to be further forward.

Where Allen trumps over him (atleast in this position) is that he has a specific role. He presses very well, can maintain the tempo & link the back to the front. But there's only an extent to which he can do that, something which Henderson does better than him but he's an able deputy. Ideally you'd want someone who can contribute to the forward play too while doing that (where his limitation starts) & I believe we will look for one this window.

Lucas' real position is where Stevie is at the moment but can he spread the play like Stevie does? & vice versa can Stevie make interceptions & break up play like Lucas? I think this is the dilemma Rodgers found himself in & he opted for the former instead of latter, atleast for this season.

Edited by LeonardoInventions

It's sky sports, it has to be true.

Look at the bigger picture here though. It will be money well spent if he stays here for 10-15 years and he looks destined to be one of the best.

Rooney/Rio in retrospect is one hell of a deal even though it looked inflated at that time.

I can name atleast three guys off the top of my head who are better than him & wouldn't cost anywhere near that amount, Ricardo Rodriguez, Alex Sandro & Alberto Moreno. I'm sure there's someone I'm forgetting....wait....Fabio Coentrao. I hope we try our luck with one of these.

PS - On an unrelated note, I really really REALLY hope Reus doesn't moves to you lot. I just would not be able to stomach seeing him in a United shirt....erm no not at all.

Mate I'd be the first one to acknowledge our defensive frailties but with all due respect a team that scores the most points after 38 games is the only one who 'deserves' to win the league (yeah no sh*t eh?) whether it concedes 50 goals or 100 goals. The points tally is the only stat that matters in the end. Yes we need to work on our defence but if we've won the league, none would've been arsed whether conceding so many goals merits a team lifting the PL.

You are oversimplifying. Of course the team with the most points will win the league. But a team winning the league with conceding 50 goals is just unheard of. In fact, since I am completely jetlagged and don't have much to do, I looked at the EPL seasons of the past 15 years :P. No team that has won the league has even conceded more than 40 goals except for Man Utd in the 2012-13 season (they conceded 43).

Lucas is not a great passer of the ball but I believe that Gerrard and Henderson can play together instead of Allen/ Henderson. Infact, I wouldn't even mind Gerrard/ Henderson and Lucas in the middle of the field with Coutinho as the AM and SAS up front in certain games where we need to be more compact. Currently, we only have Gerrard who does both the defensive/ link up work.

Also, in the earlier part of the season we were playing with a middle 4 of Gerrard, Lucas, Coutinho and Henderson. This system was working well. I think the fact that our attackers are in such good form has also led to the dilemna. Sterling has really taken off this season and deserves a place in the starting line up. However, I am still adamant that had Lucas played more games instead of Allen then we wouldn't have conceded so many goals and would have scored almost the same number of goals as we have.

Joe Allen has played 24 League Games this season. 1 Goal. 0 Assists. In my opinion, it is just not logical to pick him in front of Lucas. I'd rather play with both Gerrard and Lucas in a holding position instead of playing Allen in the team who is not even close to Lucas in terms of defensive quality and brings nothing special in the attacking sense as well.

With the Champions League next season, we will require experienced players and I believe Johnson and Lucas are the most experienced players in the squad after Gerrard. Hence, Lucas is a key component to Liverpool's success next season.

Edited by Chief

Also, in the earlier part of the season we were playing with a middle 4 of Gerrard, Lucas, Coutinho and Henderson. This system was working well. I think the fact that our attackers are in such good form has also led to the dilemna. Sterling has really taken off this season and deserves a place in the starting line up

I think it comes down to the fact that either he dosen't trust Lucas as much as Allen or Lucas recurring Injuries has hampered him to adapt. We saw that last season that if he tries to play a midfield three of Hendo-Stevie-Lucas, there was a lot of burden on Hendo alone regarding pressing high up the pitch.

That where I think Lucas' problem is, he's not mobile enough for pressing high up the pitch or playing in a forward position like he is currently. He's good at sitting in front of the defense breaking up play but you already have Stevie there. I guess with more games next season we'll rotate him & Stevie in that position.

Sterling is yeah undroppable now, really can't believe now that I said he should go on loan earlier in the season.

Joe Allen has played 24 League Games this season. 1 Goal. 0 Assists

Which is where I said that he has a specific role (& we'd need it in certain CL games next season) & his limitation is going forward & ideally you'd want someone who'd do well in the final third too, see our attempts for Mkhitaryan. I believe we could really do well if we land Mateo Kovacic for that purpose, the lad is an outrageous talent.

oh & with the defense bit, looking at Rodgers first supposed target ie Lallana, it seems he wants to add more 10-15 goals from midfield.

120 goals next season, screw the defense :P

27 million for an 18 year old? Insanity if true

Wait, didn't you guys spent 20 million on a 19-20 year Henderson 3-4 years back??

Shaw is class & probably better than most other alternatives you talked about. Would be a great signing for United if they pull it off. I thought Chelsea was interested in him too?

Wait, didn't you guys spent 20 million on a 19-20 year Henderson 3-4 years back??

Shaw is class & probably better than most other alternatives you talked about. Would be a great signing for United if they pull it off. I thought Chelsea was interested in him too?

And we have always admitted that it was over the top. Not so much for Henderson. He's proved his worth, and we lost the title solely because of his absence.

But over the top for Carroll and Downing.

He was 20, it was 16 million rising to 20 under certain conditions and he's a CM so I dunno how you could compare the relevancy of the price tag of the two players. We paid a bit too much though at the time yes.

Perhaps you have not seen those guys play, atleast the first three? All of them are class acts and better than shaw, I'd take Rodriguez any day above Shaw.