The Football Thread

Xeno

3 hours ago, VelivolusDas said:

Fred to United.

Good signing for them, IMO! :good:

But this probably also means Fellaini is about to move to Arsenal. Not sure if I should be happy or sad about that.

Fellaini :O

Unsure about this. Could work though. 

5 minutes ago, hope said:

Fellaini :O

Unsure about this. Could work though. 

Yep. Very strong rumours.

This is a nice read about it: http://www.espn.in/football/club/arsenal/359/blog/post/3517768/marouane-fellaini-to-arsenal-links-hard-to-figure-from-an-arsenal-perspective

On 6/5/2018 at 3:51 AM, Joe Cool said:

Doesn't mean anything. He is absolute trash for NT and Löw is looking for someone who is consistent. He either plays well or bad and not consistent enough to have a spot. Brandt might not play great but at least he is consistent. 

Second, he also struggles while moving towards central areas as he lacks pre-orientation and tight ball control. Not saying he is a bad player. He had a great season in PL but he is simply not good for the national team. He needs some more time to develop.

Can prove to be a fantastic impact sub. Out and out winger, something germany should really have had on board. Also should have taken Wagner over Werner, the latter has been struggling for form whole season.

+1 for Brandt shoutout. Lovely little player, lets see where he moves. 

UEFA Champions League unveils refreshed brand identity  

mld50HG.jpg

The new brand identity introduces vibrant, contemporary design principles that signal a bold step forward for club football’s most prestigious competition.

https://streamable.com/e24qn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crXHGvSEg-U

657ItpH.jpg

Looks amazing. Gorgeous colour palette. HfdTUzp.png

New merchandises too!

qmdLneq.jpg

Amazing article on Black Spider Yashin from BBC

9geJdFo.jpg

• 1956 - The Soviet Union win gold at the Melbourne Olympics. Yashin keeps a clean sheet in the final, a 1-0 victory over Yugoslavia, as his nation claims a first international title.
  • 1957 - The Soviet Union launches the world's first satellite into space. About the size of a beach ball, Sputnik - also known in theUnited States as the “Red Moon" - represents a giant victory over the Americans in the Cold War.
  • 1958 - Yashin and his Soviet Union team-mates are knocked out by hosts and eventual runners-up Sweden in the World Cup quarter-finals, having beaten England in a play-off to reach the last eight.
  • 1959 - The Soviet Union successfully sends an empty spacecraft to the moon. Luna 2 is the first man-made object to land on another celestial body and marks another stunning success in the space race.
  • 1960 - The Soviet Union win Uefa's European Nations’ Cup - the first staging of what would later become the European Championship. Yashin stars as Yugoslavia are defeated in the final.
  • 1961 - Yuri Gagarin becomes the first human in space. He orbits Earth during a 108-minute flight in his Vostok 1 spacecraft, an astonishing achievement that is held up as further evidence of the Soviet Union’s technological superiority over the United States.
  • 1962 - The Soviet Union exit the World Cup at the quarter-final stage after defeating by hosts Chile. The sole Russian language report on the game has Yashin as the scapegoat. On the team’s return, the goalkeeper is fiercely criticised by angry fans calling for him to retire.
  • 1962 - The Cold War reaches boiling point. The world fears nuclear apocalypse as the United States and the Soviet Union are locked in an aggressive stand-off over the Communists’ deployment of missiles in Cuba, in response to American missiles in Italy and Turkey.
  • 1963 - Yashin wows the Wembley crowd as a World XI take on England in a special match held to celebrate the Football Association’s 100th anniversary. England wins 2-1, but Yashin keeps a clean sheet in the half he plays.  The same year he wins the Ballon d’Or. He remains the only goalkeeper to have won the prize.
  • 1964 - The Soviet Union reach the European Nations’ Cup final for the second successive time, but lose 2-1 to hosts Spain. Yashin is named best goalkeeper at the tournament.
  • 1966 - Yashin and his Soviet Union teammates are beaten 2-1 by West Germany in their World Cup semi-final at Goodison Park. They go on to Wembley to face Eusebio’s Portugal in a third-place play-off but lose that match 2-1 as well.

A tragic end

Yashin was 41 when he stopped playing and, as Valentina says, “41 years is a lot”. “I remember in one of his final games, he landed after trying to dive for the ball and was just lying there. I thought: ‘Can it be that he’s hurt?’ He had concussion three times, he was in hospital for three days each time and I thought it was concussion again. “He was lying there and didn’t get up. But then reluctantly he rose and went back into the goal. He threw the ball up the pitch and everything was OK. I asked him at home: ‘Why didn’t you get up? I was worried. People around me were worried.’ He said: ‘I didn’t want to too much. The cut grass smelled so nice, I really didn’t want to get up at all.’”

v8n9uA5.jpg

^Yashin dines with Germany's Franz Beckenbauer in his and Valentina's flat.

PFaFkBN.jpg

Worth reading. Once in a lifetime goalkeeper. The goalie who won the Balon d'Or in Puskas era, and still the only goalkeeper to have ever won the award. 

Edited by Heaven Angel

On 6 June 2018 at 5:16 PM, Rashmeet said:

Can prove to be a fantastic impact sub. Out and out winger, something germany should really have had on board.

loew didn't pick him coz he black 

Edited by Nemo