Higher education help

ColorCodePurple

Hey guys need help again :(

I am in 11nth grade,I joined FIIT JEE and instead of coaching me it has convinced me that I cant get into IIT and probably no decent college here in India (competitives :wallbash: ) . I did a bit of research and found that SAT might be my way out.

1.Has anyone given SAT? how do you register?

I tried some questions and maths questions seem laughable,and I have a semi-strong extra curricular activity record (Editor of my school,Robotics,debating,literature)

On the downside all my school examination I score approximately 55-60% (got 51% this term in 11nth) but I scored 8.8 CGPA in boards with an A1 in maths

2.So what might be my chances in getting to a good college abroad?

I know ivy league might be out of question,but any A Grade college perhaps?

3.How do I apply to these colleges? I am clueless

Coming to India,how tough is AIEEE? what are my chances of getting into Delhi College of Engineering?

I have more questions will keep updating.

Higher education is so darn confusing :wallbash: :wallbash:

Also:

4.What is common app and UCAS? how do they help? :ko:

5.given my less than average score in my school internal examination,what are my chances in getting into a good university?

what kind of class is that :rofl::ko: discouraging from the very beginning . did u join them already or r they telling u this b4 joining ? i m just confirming because if u have joined it must have been just few months n also u have 1 n 1/2 yr remaining considering u'll give exam in march-april 2012. u have enough time for both jee n aiee

what kind of class is that :rofl::ko: discouraging from the very beginning . did u join them already or r they telling u this b4 joining ? i m just confirming because if u have joined it must have been just few months n also u have 1 n 1/2 yr remaining considering u'll give exam in march-april 2012. u have enough time for both jee n aiee

I dont get understand anything in FIIT-JEE,I joined em and dont even pass in their tests :(

sir, you shock me every damn time.

Yes, maths in SAT is easy, but english aint, and let me tell you, it's not easy.

Register on the SAT site and fill the form, pay the fees(i paid online) and select the date and centre.

any and every exam is easy, including IIT, if you want to achieve your goal, else you cannot even qualify for a scholarship test.

Trust me even though FIT-JEE now do seem like assholes ...they are probably helping you out...

you getting into IIT need like strong base and mad dedication

But that dosent mean you cant get into other colleges in India...AIEEE is tough ....if you put in bit effort and there are a thousand other engg colleges in India.

You can register for sat online....

you extra curicullar will help a lot if you apply in the US of A ....1800+ in sat plusextra currcular = top 15 college in in america

first thing is get a refund if you plan to drop out , a common misconception among students is that if they join a coaching or any education service they think their money's wasted if they plan to quit and drag themselves with it unwillingly , not so in reality , you can very well claim a deducted amount of your paid fees. they might retaliate but be adamant and reply with legal help.

SAT is not your way out, getting good marks in SAT won't automatically get you into a college.

Beside if you are trying for UK universities then SAT is of no help since your 12th marks are everything here, most good universities like University of Liverpool (my college), Liverpool Hope University, Imperial College London would require you to have 80-85% as your maths/science avg. in 12th, but here's the best part about UK universities....in case you are unable to fulfill that qualifications you have the option to opt for a foundation course (which is very easy btw) and if you get 70%+ in that course you get an entry into that college. Now you may think why waste an extra year on this course, but let me tell you that's not the case since Engg. in UK actually lasts 3 years, so even with foundation course it'll take you no more than 4 years.

Anyways here's something that you should consider:

1) What you need to do first is to find a college that suits you & your requirements (as well as your aim) and then plan EVERYTHING according to that, you also have to consider the city here. If you do it the other way (ie. give SAT & figure out colleges afterwards) then you'll be wasting tons of time, and don't think that you have a lot of time in your hands since you are in 11th std...I'm saying this because you'll be needing to finish everything by December next year "IF" you want to join a foreign college as soon as you leave your school.

2) The second thing which you need to keep in mind is that regardless of what people tell you, studying in a foreign university is NOT easy !! Its not easier than what you would do otherwise if you stay in India & study.

3) Do a thorough research on the university you wish to get admitted into & the city the university belongs to...the last thing you'd want is to live in a costly city and study in an avg. university.

4) You probably need to give an English test like TOEFL or IELTS, choose whichever you like. (IELTS is easier, but the TOEFL is internet based).

5) Here is where you register for SAT

6)There are other good colleges aside from IITs & NITs (like VIT, SRM, MIT Pune etc etc), and with these universities you have the option to secure a seat through donation/management quota.....in case you can't get through the competitive exam.

:doh: u still have to study hard to get into any decent college irrespective of location

SAT maths is very easy but english :nerves: thats why started preparing from now only B)

and ya if u are failing there no use of going there and get ur refund asap and concentrate on boards n side by side prepare for sat

I tried some questions and maths questions seem laughable,and I have a semi-strong extra curricular activity record

The point/problem with SAT is not the difficulty, its time constraint.

Just check the maths questions that are asked in UPSC examinations and you'll easily solve most of them, but the point is when you commence that exam you'll realize that you have barely 1 minute to solve one question.

Thanks for the help everyone :thumbsup:

English is my strong point,and I am experienced in writing so with some hard work I hope that wont be a big problem.

@Praveer how do I research for that? I have been searching google for universities based on the location of my choice. A part of the reason why I am thinking of Foriegn universities is because of more exposure.

Also for engineering do I have to take SAT subject tests? I was thinking of taking the first 1 in january but apparently you cannot take SAT and subject test at the same date :(

Also I read somewhere that to get into ivy league you need to have 90% above in all classes after 9nth extra curricular at national level and cost is $750000 a year without accomadation.

OP updated :(

UCAS is a portal for (all) British universities, you make a profile & provide it with all your personal details and then you apply for multiple UK universities at once.

You have to pay a fee of 17GBP and once you are done with that you get to choose 5 universities of your choice with course of your preference, after that the website passes your application to those universities. If you want to apply in more universities then you have to pay the 17GBP fee again & you get 5 more options once more.

how do I research for that? I have been searching google for universities based on the location of my choice. A part of the reason why I am thinking of Foreign universities is because of more exposure.

Exposure is no doubt a very good reason for choosing a foreign university over an Indian one, that is exactly the reason why I choose foreign education as well.

Anyways just tell me which course do you want to pursue, I'll see if I can name some good ones. (also it'd be better if you take an estimate of how much you are willing to spend over studies.....cost of living aside)

Hey guys need help again :(

I am in 11nth grade,I joined FIIT JEE and instead of coaching me it has convinced me that I cant get into IIT and probably no decent college here in India (competitives :wallbash: ) . I did a bit of research and found that SAT might be my way out.

1.Has anyone given SAT? how do you register?

I tried some questions and maths questions seem laughable,and I have a semi-strong extra curricular activity record (Editor of my school,Robotics,debating,literature)

On the downside all my school examination I score approximately 55-60% (got 51% this term in 11nth) but I scored 8.8 CGPA in boards with an A1 in maths

2.So what might be my chances in getting to a good college abroad?

I know ivy league might be out of question,but any A Grade college perhaps?

3.How do I apply to these colleges? I am clueless

Coming to India,how tough is AIEEE? what are my chances of getting into Delhi College of Engineering?

I have more questions will keep updating.

Higher education is so darn confusing :wallbash: :wallbash:

Also:

4.What is common app and UCAS? how do they help? :ko:

Give SAT . No harm in giving.

SAT is like taking candy from a baby compared to IIT and other engi prep .

AIEEE is tough because over 3 lakh students give it . I got a rank of 11,000 all india in AIEEE . I got into IIT extended list only . Made it through DCE exam . Joined it.

I am in Delhi College Engineering , 3 rd year .

DCE closes out pretty fast for AIEEE students , one needs a brilliant rank in AIIEE ( <5000 during my time )

Thanks for the help everyone :thumbsup:

English is my strong point,and I am experienced in writing so with some hard work I hope that wont be a big problem.

@Praveer how do I research for that? I have been searching google for universities based on the location of my choice. A part of the reason why I am thinking of Foriegn universities is because of more exposure.

Also for engineering do I have to take SAT subject tests? I was thinking of taking the first 1 in january but apparently you cannot take SAT and subject test at the same date :(

Also I read somewhere that to get into ivy league you need to have 90% above in all classes after 9nth extra curricular at national level and cost is $750000 a year without accomadation.

OP updated :(

:nono: it aint

plus ditto to what sim said and i got roughly same results as him :P

Also, don't try to search for an easier alternative, life surely has a cruel lesson for you.

Yea what most people think is going to a foreign university is an easy way out, when infact it isn't...its a lot harder & the top level universities will make you sweat for it.

UCAS is a portal for (all) British universities, you make a profile & provide it with all your personal details and then you apply for multiple UK universities at once.

You have to pay a fee of 17GBP and once you are done with that you get to choose 5 universities of your choice with course of your preference, after that the website passes your application to those universities. If you want to apply in more universities then you have to pay the 17GBP fee again & you get 5 more options once more.

Exposure is no doubt a very good reason for choosing a foreign university over an Indian one, that is exactly the reason why I choose foreign education as well.

Anyways just tell me which course do you want to pursue, I'll see if I can name some good ones. (also it'd be better if you take an estimate of how much you are willing to spend over studies.....cost of living aside)

I was thinking of going for engineering mechanical,I asked dad he says he is willing to pay Rs.2 lakh per month

Give SAT . No harm in giving.

SAT is like taking candy from a baby compared to IIT and other engi prep .

AIEEE is tough because over 3 lakh students give it . I got a rank of 11,000 all india in AIEEE . I got into IIT extended list only . Made it through DCE exam . Joined it.

I am in Delhi College Engineering , 3 rd year .

DCE closes out pretty fast for AIEEE students , one needs a brilliant rank in AIIEE ( <5000 during my time )

Does DCE have reservation for delhi students? I am in gurgaon. and there is a seperate exam for DCE?

My dad is a DCE pass out,I really want to go to that college

:nono: it aint

plus ditto to what sim said and i got roughly same results as him :P

Also, don't try to search for an easier alternative, life surely has a cruel lesson for you.

It is :chair: my school did not make me the executive editor for anything. I am not searching for an easy alternative,I am looking for more cheese

he says he is willing to pay Rs.2 lakh per month

Well that...is a lot !

Even after including the living expenses. :P

And @ Electrical Engg.

I see also if you are interested in Mechatronics & Robotics (comes under Electrical) AND consider UK as an option...then I'll be happy to suggest you my university, University of Liverpool.

Its one the best university in UK (3rd best for Mechatronics & Robotics), and Liverpool is the 2nd cheapest city in UK & its the city with the most student population & best night life. :bigyellowgrin:

Well that...is a lot !

Even after including the living expenses. :P

And @ Electrical Engg.

I see also if you are interested in Mechatronics & Robotics (comes under Electrical) AND consider UK as an option...then I'll be happy to suggest you my university, University of Liverpool.

Its one the best university in UK (3rd best for Mechatronics & Robotics), and Liverpool is the 2nd cheapest city in UK & its the city with the most student population & best night life. :bigyellowgrin:

What is the scope in robotics and mechatronics? :unsure:

Also I was thinking of doing MBA afterwards :P

also updated OP again

Also I was thinking of doing MBA afterwards :P

Oh so you are one of THOSE guys ! :doh:

I'll be honest....If you're gonna stick with the technical field then stick with it till the end, if not then you'd better leave it now itself (ie. after 12th).

No point in studying engineering for years when you ultimately want to be an executive or an MD or anything from the financial field....its just a waste of time.

Make a clear set of goals, not what you plan to study in the future but rather what you plan to become...once you do that you can decide what you should study.

I was thinking of going for engineering mechanical,I asked dad he says he is willing to pay Rs.2 lakh per month

Does DCE have reservation for delhi students? I am in gurgaon. and there is a seperate exam for DCE?

My dad is a DCE pass out,I really want to go to that college

I think since last year , all students will be taken into DCE on the basis of AIEEE ranks.

Yes there is reservation for ppl in delhi schools. ( around 80% i think)

It might be for NCR schools but I am not sure.

Study hard for that AIEEE rank .

Archived