**Wii FAQ Thread**

arjun

Hi

I'm quite the newbie when it comes to console gaming. But I've been considering getting a Wii lately and am quite confused about how to go about things. Please help me out with these questions in my head:

1) After I get the console will I be able to connect to the internet from it, considering this is India?

2) Where will I get relatively inexpensive Wii games from?

3) If I download a game from the net is there any way to play it on the wii?

Hi guys

Thanks for replying. I came across this offer on ebay for a Wii + 2 wiimotes + 25 games for 28000 and another one for 22000 but just the Wii. Both are USA Wiis. Are there better deals available out there? I'm in Kolkata currently, btw...

h3lios, you said to get a US Wii. Is there some problem with a Japanese one?

Also, where will I get a modchip and for how much?

Please help...

Hi guys

Thanks for replying. I came across this offer on ebay for a Wii + 2 wiimotes + 25 games for 28000 and another one for 22000 but just the Wii. Both are USA Wiis. Are there better deals available out there? I'm in Kolkata currently, btw...

Please help...

Hi there,

Over here in Musafir Khanna (local gray market here in Mumbai), you can get a modded US Wii for around Rs. 18000 to Rs. 19000 (last checked around a month or so ago). Am not sure about current Mumbai grey market prices. Am also not sure how much will it cost in Kolkata. Don't you know any grey markets in Kolkata that sell gaming stuff ?

The reason h3lios said to get a US Wii is coz the pirated games that are available over here are mostly NTSC/US games and would work flawlessly on a US Wii. Also, US Wii games are quite easily available on the internet when compared to PAL or Jap Wii games. Another MOST IMPORTANT reason is that you'll be able to connect to US VC store, so the games that you buy from there will be in English version :)

About the modchip, it depends on which Wii drivechip you get because not all modchips are compatible with all Wii drivechip versions, but since you're getting your Wii now, I would say you'll most definitely get a Wii with a D2C drive, and only the latest modchips like Wasabi, D2CKey, D2Pro, and Aragon modchips will be compatible with it. They are quite costly and difficult to install when compared to last generation modchips like the Wiikey, Wiinja Deluxe, etc. I know a guy who does modchip installations on a Wii and charges somewhere around Rs. 3000 to Rs. 3500 just for the chip and am not even sure how much he charges for the installation as these modchips require somewhere around 18 to 30 wires (depending on which chip is being installed).

So yeah, you'll most likely get a D2C Wii with any of the above mentioned "latest" modchips, and it'll most likely run you up around Rs. 20,000. (again, am not sure about the latest price of it). I would recommend you to check out the local grey markets in Kolkata before getting the Ebay ones as they'll obviously be costlier than the ones in the grey market.

If you still got anymore questions, then post here, and I'll do my best to help you out. :)

Hi guys

The reason h3lios said to get a US Wii is coz the pirated games that are available over here are mostly NTSC/US games and would work flawlessly on a US Wii.

Where can I get pirated Wii games in Delhi?? Do i need a modchip for running pirated games?? I have an NTSC/UC Wii.(American)

Hi guys

Please help...

Hi there,

Over here in Musafir Khanna (local gray market here in Mumbai), you can get a modded US Wii for around Rs. 18000 to Rs. 19000 (last checked around a month or so ago). Am not sure about current Mumbai grey market prices. Am also not sure how much will it cost in Kolkata. Don't you know any grey markets in Kolkata that sell gaming stuff ?

The reason h3lios said to get a US Wii is coz the pirated games that are available over here are mostly NTSC/US games and would work flawlessly on a US Wii. Also, US Wii games are quite easily available on the internet when compared to PAL or Jap Wii games. Another MOST IMPORTANT reason is that you'll be able to connect to US VC store, so the games that you buy from there will be in English version :threatenlumber:

About the modchip, it depends on which Wii drivechip you get because not all modchips are compatible with all Wii drivechip versions, but since you're getting your Wii now, I would say you'll most definitely get a Wii with a D2C drive, and only the latest modchips like Wasabi, D2CKey, D2Pro, and Aragon modchips will be compatible with it. They are quite costly and difficult to install when compared to last generation modchips like the Wiikey, Wiinja Deluxe, etc. I know a guy who does modchip installations on a Wii and charges somewhere around Rs. 3000 to Rs. 3500 just for the chip and am not even sure how much he charges for the installation as these modchips require somewhere around 18 to 30 wires (depending on which chip is being installed).

So yeah, you'll most likely get a D2C Wii with any of the above mentioned "latest" modchips, and it'll most likely run you up around Rs. 20,000. (again, am not sure about the latest price of it). I would recommend you to check out the local grey markets in Kolkata before getting the Ebay ones as they'll obviously be costlier than the ones in the grey market.

If you still got anymore questions, then post here, and I'll do my best to help you out. :sign_offtopic:

What a detailed post,

pretty nice,

and as for collectedsoul,

have u forgotten fancy or 5* market,

A shop sells it for 22k there,

but if u can reduce the price,

u can get it for 20k i think,

but the best bet will be waiting at least a month from now and see if the Wii really launches here,

if it does, we will see modded Wii's for 15-16k

Hey all. I'd like to hear from some people who've modded their Wii's for this question:

I got brawl last week and I got the disc read error. I tried air canisters and other safe methods, but to no avail. I'm sending it to a guy here in Delhi that's trusted with fixing my electronics and disc lenses for years. I'm just wondering, since the Wii's warranty will be void if I open it, should I still go ahead and do this? If so, should I go ahead and get a WiiKey or a similar modchip added? The warranty will already be void so its not like it would make a difference. If I do get a modchip however, would it mess up if I ever update my Wii online or anything? I heard rumors that some modchips stop working after Wii updates. Thanks.

but the best bet will be waiting at least a month from now and see if the Wii really launches here,

Hey Aman I'm in dehli too. Where's 5* mkt or fancy? been here forever but never heard of those places. Not in palika huh? I'm worried about getting it done there. I really dislike that place

Hey Aman I'm in dehli too. Where's 5* mkt or fancy? been here forever but never heard of those places. Not in palika huh? I'm worried about getting it done there. I really dislike that place

I ain't in Delhi,

I'm in Kolkata and those places up in ^ my post is in Kolkata as well,

but palika is the heaven for tech, ain't it, and if u can't trust them why don't u do it urself? MAny tuts are there in the net flooded, So just try, if u want some more help, we all are here for u! :)

oops sorry. no idea why i thought you were in delhi lol... yeah i may try myself but for the time being ill just borrow my friends wii and he'll borrow mine since he doesnt play brawl. thanks though :)

oops sorry. no idea why i thought you were in delhi lol... yeah i may try myself but for the time being ill just borrow my friends wii and he'll borrow mine since he doesnt play brawl. thanks though :wOOtjumpy:

Welcome Shifty,

anytime :)

Hi guys

Please help...

Hi there,

The reason h3lios said to get a US Wii is coz the pirated games that are available over here are mostly NTSC/US games and would work flawlessly on a US Wii. Also, US Wii games are quite easily available on the internet when compared to PAL or Jap Wii games. Another MOST IMPORTANT reason is that you'll be able to connect to US VC store, so the games that you buy from there will be in English version :threatenlumber:

If you still got anymore questions, then post here, and I'll do my best to help you out. :coolspeak:

Hi Kazekage Gaara,

Thanks for the details. Really appreciate it.

Just a couple more doubts...is there any way to play pirated games without this mod chip you mention? It sounds risky to me...messing with the hardware...doesn't that increase the chance of machine issues?

About the place in Mumbai you mentioned, do they offer any sort of warranty on installing this mod chip?

Actually, I'm sort of caught between the three gaming systems out there in the market...so I'm wondering which one of ps3, xbox 360 and wii is the safest to play pirated games on?

Aman, I know about Fancy and 5 star, even Vardaan maybe...but can I trust them? Did you buy your machine from any of these areas?

Hi guys

Please help...

Hi there,

The reason h3lios said to get a US Wii is coz the pirated games that are available over here are mostly NTSC/US games and would work flawlessly on a US Wii. Also, US Wii games are quite easily available on the internet when compared to PAL or Jap Wii games. Another MOST IMPORTANT reason is that you'll be able to connect to US VC store, so the games that you buy from there will be in English version :)

If you still got anymore questions, then post here, and I'll do my best to help you out. :)

Hi Kazekage Gaara,

Just a couple more doubts...is there any way to play pirated games without this mod chip you mention? It sounds risky to me...messing with the hardware...doesn't that increase the chance of machine issues?

About the place in Mumbai you mentioned, do they offer any sort of warranty on installing this mod chip?

Actually, I'm sort of caught between the three gaming systems out there in the market...so I'm wondering which one of ps3, xbox 360 and wii is the safest to play pirated games on?

Aman, I know about Fancy and 5 star, even Vardaan maybe...but can I trust them? Did you buy your machine from any of these areas?

Forget Vardaan,

Its fancy i bought from,

i bought my GBA and PS2 from one of those shops,

i can give u the no. and the address if u want,

they sell the wii for 22k and games for 300rs.,

if u buy the wii, i recommend u to download games rather than buying 'em at 300,

WiiScrubber (a software) is there which decompresses the games and many games are under 1gb (though it can range from 100 mb to 4 gb)

for the list u can go here and see the list

List

Hey all. I'd like to hear from some people who've modded their Wii's for this question:

I got brawl last week and I got the disc read error. I tried air canisters and other safe methods, but to no avail. I'm sending it to a guy here in Delhi that's trusted with fixing my electronics and disc lenses for years. I'm just wondering, since the Wii's warranty will be void if I open it, should I still go ahead and do this? If so, should I go ahead and get a WiiKey or a similar modchip added? The warranty will already be void so its not like it would make a difference. If I do get a modchip however, would it mess up if I ever update my Wii online or anything? I heard rumors that some modchips stop working after Wii updates. Thanks.

Well, since your Wii is still under warranty, will it be possible to send it back to Nintendo ? coz Nintendo is gonna fix it for you for free :wOOtjumpy:

Also, you can go ahead and get a modchip installed but I have to tell you that if you get a Wiikey, then you won't be able to play your ORIGINAL copy of Brawl. I have NO IDEA why but the Wiikey team is working on it. You will, however, be able to play a backup copy of Brawl though. If you get any other chip, then its okay :)

About that "modchips stop working after Wii updates" thing, then don't worry. As of now, there are no Wii updates that block any modchips. From what you've read on the internet and other forums, its just that some people have been using really crappy media for their Wii games and probably their lenses burned out quite a lot faster or one of their modchip's solder wire came off. :(

Hi Kazekage Gaara,

Hi collectedsoul,

As of now, there is no other way to play a backup/pirated copy of a Wii game on a Wii console without the modchip. You have to install a modchip to play them. Well, I would say go with the Wasabi modchip (if you can find one) as it has a low wire count and is supposed to be a very clean install. :)

Out of the three gaming systems, I would say Wii modding/hardware is quite stable as compared to the others, which is only the 360 and if you get it modded, you run a very high risk of getting RRODs and turning it into a 25,000 paperweight :P Choice is yours :) As of now, the PS3 has not been hacked in anyway to make it play pirated or backed up games :)

Sorry for the double post...it won't let me post anymore smilies :P

they sell the wii for 22k and games for 300rs.,

if u buy the wii, i recommend u to download games rather than buying 'em at 300,

WiiScrubber (a software) is there which decompresses the games and many games are under 1gb (though it can range from 100 mb to 4 gb)

for the list u can go here and see the list

List

Whoa...300 bucks for a Wii game. We get them over here for 100 bucks each :( and I intend to bargain with them till they reduce the price ever more coz they are just DVDs just like PS2 and the cost of making them is quite cheap. If we pay 25 bucks for a PS2 game, then why pay even 100 bucks for the Wii :P

And yes, it would be advisable to download your own game and it would be even more advisable to download a game that belongs to your own console's region, which will prevent you from bricking or semi-bricking your Wii :)

About that WiiScrubber thing, yeah it sure sounds good but I would still say get the regular version and keep the size of the game "as original as possible" so as to not put more strain on your Wii's laser. There is a reason why Nintendo or any other company puts dummy data in a particular game :) Nevertheless, you HAVE to waste a 4.5 gig DVDr for a game as there is no way to make a multi-boot Wii game disc :)

Archived