The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

SAP is hiring, but they require someone which industry experience in data science.

No industry experience yet, only academical. Hoping to gain 2-3 years of experience in the field post graduation

Edited by egg man

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

How different is it to work in a product based company vs a service based one?

I got an on-campus offer from a product based (founded around 10 years ago but recently went through a series B funding round) company making their own EDRM product in Mumbai and is really close to my house (how great?!?! :D). The money is decent (around 5.5Lakh ctc), role they've offered is a *Product Engineer* and the visit to their office was pretty welcoming. Also since their product is primarily privacy and security related, it definitely piques my interest.

There are other companies (atleast 2 more) coming to our college which are paying a little higher at around 8-11Lakh (ctc) but are mostly service based companies (and mostly not situated in Mumbai). Money isn't an issue for me at the time being, but rather the type of work and the prospects for learning. I'm scared that I'll be stuck in a position which is a glorified QA/Testing/Legacy/Support job in disguise.

I am no coding prodigy, but I'd say I'm better than average and *pretty* passionate about building stuff (Take a look at some of my open source projects https://oxal.org/projects/ and https://github.com/oxalorg ), but not so much about cramming tons of algorithms and practicing daily on competitive programming websites.

Any career advice/thoughts/experience would be really appreciated! Thank you. :arigato:

Edited by oxalorg

Hi,

I belong to a family which has a lot of CAs, even I am currently pursuing my articleship at deloitte. All of them are pretty successful now and many of them took 4-5 attempts to do it.

My aunt took 7 attempts to clear it. When people fail they generally blame icai and it's pretty justifiable too given that it's a pretty difficult course. But this cannot be changed and you need to introspect what you might be doing wrong. My aunt worked really hard but still failed mainly bcoz she lacked proper direction. Thats when my grandpa make her join a class he knew was really good and urged her to try again and then she passed. If you keep studying and writing answers the same way you did the first time, then it won't make much of a difference. Please try to find out what you might be doing wrong. Ask someone who has passed for advice. Keep your hopes up and give it your blood and sweat. You have invested the better part of your youth in this and you must make it pay off.

Best of luck man!!

Just for curiosity, what do you do after completing CA ? Do you open up a consultancy shop or join some company ? And what kind of specialty/skillset does CA offer say compared to an MBA graduate ? What I'm trying to understand is, why go through all that pain? isn't it simpler to complete an MBA from a premier institute earn more or less the same or maybe even better ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Edited by Ne0

Go for the product based company.

Earning less is a much better proposition than being unsatisfied with your work all the time.

You'll get great work experience which can always help you earn much more.

Thank you for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Do you have any clue as though why these service based companies are paying such high salaries to freshers (without explaining much about the role except that the applicant must have "strong technical, design, TDD, ..." etc jazz stated) , and what kind of work does it actually entail?

Edited by oxalorg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...