The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

8 hours ago, Mr. Comingle said:

Why not go for a masters in computer science outside. It's a solid career path. Go out, get masters, get a job in FAANG. Life set. 

Interests don't align. The universe is always pushing me towards computer science, I'm even getting the youtube ads which go 'Data is the Future' and all that jazz, but computer science is not my vibe I think.

3 hours ago, kruzzo said:

Can try for GMAT in that case. 

Hmmmm, will look into it. I did google search, but the exam feee was a bit of a turn off :P

Thank you @Mr. Comingle 

Also, one thing. Can someone elaborate on the work experience requirements for MBA programs?

In India through CAT, or abroad through GMAT score? I was checking some popular MBA programs offered by universities abroad, and pretty much all of them have a min. work ex benchmark.

Googling isn't giving me very clear answers on this front.

22 minutes ago, North said:

Thank you @Mr. Comingle 

Also, one thing. Can someone elaborate on the work experience requirements for MBA programs?

In India through CAT, or abroad through GMAT score? I was checking some popular MBA programs offered by universities abroad, and pretty much all of them have a min. work ex benchmark.

Googling isn't giving me very clear answers on this front.

You don't really need any experience for doing MBA in Indian colleges which require CAT score. However, in colleges such as ISB, which take GMAT scores, minimum requirement is there. From my experience, a candidate with 1-2 years of experience is perfect. Anything more (more than 3+) is too much and your risk getting low shortlists during placements. Again, this applies to non-GMAT colleges. In ISB, its preferable if you have at least 4-5 years of experience, if not more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hellblazer33 said:

Congrats what does that mean in layman terms what opportunities and salary you can get?

No guarantee, no salary.

It just opens the door for equity and asset management jobs.

MBA still is the best way to get into this space. CFA just sets you apart because of the growing competition.

I am registered for CFA L1 and I am looking to get it before my MBA.

Your ctc will be decided from your other qualifications, skills and most importantly, your last CTC.

17 minutes ago, KunjanPSD said:

Your ctc will be decided from your other qualifications, skills and most importantly, your last CTC.

This practice of asking of last CTC, payslips of prev company should change in India (will never happen in reality though). 

Ofcourse they can demand it to cross check if we really have correct employment history but they use this to low bal offers. 

Sooner or later ,the person who joins the company  will find out that he is making less and will jump ship.

24 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

This practice of asking of last CTC, payslips of prev company should change in India (will never happen in reality though). 

Ofcourse they can demand it to cross check if we really have correct employment history but they use this to low bal offers. 

Sooner or later ,the person who joins the company  will find out that he is making less and will jump ship.

18 minutes ago, Bird Bird Bird said:

Shittiest practice ever, man. 

Most recruiters will ask for it before even talking about the overall job. 

Was going through bunch of interviews recently and everyone asked me the same.

For some I gave a ballpark number and for others I just said that X is the market value etc etc.

I have been particularly lucky and have been able to negotiate but some of friends where quoted downright insulting offers after getting through all rounds.

Ex: Friend was earning X and was offered X, lol.

He then said he got offer from Amazon for X+0.15X and then was told to take it or leave it. After he left it, they came back with X+0.25X, which given the current market is still not that amazing.

While one of friends got into Google and the recruiter was amazing. Gave market value from the get go plus hike from the get go.

A good way to circumvent it is by saying you have a sizable year end component and hence it won't be visible in previous paychecks.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

If you're joining a decent MNC or a big listed Co. the salary is completely dependent on the position at least from what I know. What you can actually negotiate is the level you join at and maybe some joining bonus. At least from what I know. I know multiple people who have been able to negotiate 70-100%+ hikes on previous CTC so I feel the past CTC thing doesn't really hold these days.

Holds a lot of weight in Finance. 

Holds true for tech too but getting better.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

If you're joining a decent MNC or a big listed Co. the salary is completely dependent on the position at least from what I know. What you can actually negotiate is the level you join at and maybe some joining bonus. At least from what I know. I know multiple people who have been able to negotiate 70-100%+ hikes on previous CTC so I feel the past CTC thing doesn't really hold these days.

Doesn't hold well in pharma unfortunately. 

I was interested in a pretty good global role at one of the leading diabetic companies in the globe (think one of top 2). The rounds of interview went well, had high double digit reportees under the role, and old guy at that role was a veteran who moved to their international HQ. 

But somehow they were stuck on CTC. It was literally the same as what I was getting at the that time. The hiring manager was a good guy though, and we hit off well, and keep in touch. But they were very clear that they can't budge the needle on compensation. 

It left me flabbergasted tbh about the state of affairs in pharma. :(

25 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

That just means the pay range in your new role was same as your old role. Makes sense to have the same pay. Don't wanna pay more to a new guy than existing employees working in the same role. 

It doesn't make sense though. The new role was a more senior role, with quite a new range of responsibilities etc. Managing 35+ reportees on a global scale with high impact on portfolio. 

It just talks about poor/misaligned pay in that vertical. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Comingle said:

That just means the pay range in your new role was same as your old role. Makes sense to have the same pay. Don't wanna pay more to a new guy than existing employees working in the same role. 

That is how things work in an ideal world. Not the real world.

Companies will happily pay more to a new employee as compared to an existing one because expect less people to switch and new employees are bar raisers. It's a cost saving mechanism.

And no, it wasn't about the same pay range. It was about trying to get the same person for the same pay but handling him more responsibilities.

Edited by KunjanPSD

6 hours ago, hellblazer33 said:

Congrats what does that mean in layman terms what opportunities and salary you can get?

It’s a ‘good to have’ thing which adds slight richness to my overall profile. In my line of work, I do not benefit from it very directly in terms of opportunities or salary.

I think CFA adds most value to Equity Research, Advisory and Portfolio Management roles.

• 4 months later...
55 minutes ago, Aloy said:

I will be starting my first ever job in a like 2 weeks as a software engineer and kinda very nervous. Can anyone give me some pointers? It's remote for the first month

Kidhar lgi?

PM me and I'll try to see if I can find out someone who works there.