The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

Making software for the financial services industry - banking software / risk management software are two examples which are in big demand. Get requirements, design the software, validate functionality with the end user, and role it out, pray it works (anyone in IT can confirm the last step is mandatory).

+1 confirmed.. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

MBA is not stupid. Most MBA institute selling MBA degrees like AC and Fridge are stupid.. and Stupid are students who do not take enterance test properly and then waste their parents money in these random MBA Institute.

This. Just getting a degree doesn't give you the magical power to be brilliant. This is the like studying from a good school doesn't make you educated. I have seen my share of idiots from both the IITs and IIMs, but they are few in number. Most of the ones I have seen are better than average. Some of them are truly exceptional. I have also seen the good students from lesser known institutes who are good.

Here are some tips: Enjoy your work. If you don't, find some ways to enjoy your work. If you think it's time to move on to something else, do it. There is no harm in switching jobs often - once you find the job you like, you'll stay. Never switch for only money - that's the biggest mistake people make, chasing after the money - money comes automatically if you're doing what you like. If you need money, ask your company. If they don't pay, then switch - that means they don't value you enough. There's no 'wrong' decision at the beginning of a career - just start. If you're willing to learn, you will be good at it.

• Like 1

I agree with Bul. Do what you like. And like megzworld said, MBA/Engg/MBBS aren't the only things to do. Unfortunately, very few tread the path less trodden. I guess the upbringing, and also peer pressure is responsible for that. Not many people or even parents even think of anything other than engg or medicine.

Stupid are students who do not take enterance test properly and then waste their parents money in these random MBA Institute. I get 5 Brochures every month with funny sounding names of some very crap Institutes..asking me for placement.

What do you think about the colleges i'm planning to apply at ? is it of the same cadre ?

here : http://www.indianvideogamer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22312&view=findpost&p=966240

Yeah I agree. Engg immediately followed by MBA has become such a tired cliche. But then everyone does it coz of the attraction with the pay packages. Most IIM students are freshers and engineers. And they ace the exams at the IIMs too and get placed in the best of companies like PwC or JPM or Goldman Sachs etc etc.

But the thing is, that is where it stops. That is where your degree or your MBA will get you. From the day 1 in your job till the next 30(?) years of life, it isn't the degree but you, your hard work, skill and most importantly people skills and general intelligence which will get you ahead in life. Coz afterwards, your experience counts the most and your degree will come in handy only if you're tied with someone else with similar results after an interview.

So yea Mr. IIMA has an equal chance of getting fired as anyone else if he is basically not fit for the job

QFT :first:

an MBA can get one to the door but crossing it depends on the individual's capabilities.

Edited by kunallkw

PhD in what field? Are you interested in research or teaching?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Primarily research I want to get into Parallel Computing or something related to Pattern Recognition. I just want to know from anyone that has done a PhD or is pursuing one about what are good colleges for programs besidesw the US [i'd prefer Europe because it would be easier for me to get in for admissions but I am open to anything else as well]. I originally got into a Masters Program for IT Management but scrapped it to get more exposure in the industry and then decide about what I wanted to go back to school for. I've done some research myself but just want to know if anyone else has pursued a CS PhD anywhere else and has some insight to offer.

P.S. I have been out of the Uni/Col circuit since 2002 but that doesn't really bother me because it would be research related.

Edited by Mel81x

This. Just getting a degree doesn't give you the magical power to be brilliant. This is the like studying from a good school doesn't make you educated. I have seen my share of idiots from both the IITs and IIMs, but they are few in number. Most of the ones I have seen are better than average. Some of them are truly exceptional. I have also seen the good students from lesser known institutes who are good.

Here are some tips: Enjoy your work. If you don't, find some ways to enjoy your work. If you think it's time to move on to something else, do it. There is no harm in switching jobs often - once you find the job you like, you'll stay. Never switch for only money - that's the biggest mistake people make, chasing after the money - money comes automatically if you're doing what you like. If you need money, ask your company. If they don't pay, then switch - that means they don't value you enough. There's no 'wrong' decision at the beginning of a career - just start. If you're willing to learn, you will be good at it.

really very good and practical advice for all..repped

easier said than done

i know its hard..but really not impossible as such...

btw tu toh doctor hai..tujhe tension kya...people who come to you for checkup unko pareshani :P

but i am not enjoying at the moment.municipal hospitals are a nightmare to work at

also extremely depressive work environment with terminal illnesses and deaths all around :(

but i am not enjoying at the moment.municipal hospitals are a nightmare to work at

also extremely depressive work environment with terminal illnesses and deaths all around :(

i can understand...have seen muncipal govt hospitals here in kol...the conditions are so depressing and simply pathetic...sad that people have no choice and govt is least bothered too

I agree to that.. My sister did her nursing.. and she was posted to some govt hospitals.. and she used to tell the condition of the general ward..

What do you think about the colleges i'm planning to apply at ? is it of the same cadre ?

here : http://www.indianvideogamer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22312&view=findpost&p=966240

QFT :first:

an MBA can get one to the door but crossing it depends on the individual's capabilities.

Hey Kunal,

Since it's a Symbiosis it should be good, though I have not recruited from there ever. I do believe that SIBM and SCMHRD are good B'Schools under Symbiosis umbrella.