The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

erm my numero uno question

Game Design degree: worth it?

good universities for it in America?

Ok here's my 2 cents.

Game Design is an nebulous term. Sometimes the producer thinks he is the designer, when actually the programmer is the designer. The artist should be the designer, being that he has the creative talent, but nobody pays attention to the artist. You have to decide what kind of things you want to design, do you want to design the characters ? or do you want to design the levels ? or do you want to design the puzzles or the game's structure ? You have to keep in mind that developing games is not something that anyone will teach you. You are all on your own here, you have to learn yourself and practice. Programming can be taught, but the skills to make game is something that you gather from your own personal projects. Designing on the other hand is all self taught.

The easiest way to blast into the industry is to either make a kickass mod or make an indie game which goes on to become a success while you are still doing your studies. if you want to make mods then you need to familiarize yourself with a particular game engine, your best bet (right now) are the free to use UE3 UDK and Cry Engine 2 Sandbox editor. If you want to make a game then well, you need to learn programming.

Taking a graduate degree specifically in Game Design is not recommended unless you are doing it from a university like Full Sail or Digipen, whose graduates are actively sought after in the industry, in every other case a game design degree is only good for including in a portfolio. Generally speaking, its much better to graduate with a degree in programming and work as a programmer, its because a guy with a programing degree can be a designer (provided he has the creativity and imagination) but a designer cannot be a programmer. You don't need a specific degree to become a game designer since that's something which relies completely on your skills, but you do need one to become a game programmer.

The reason why I am emphasizing on programming so much is because the whole world of video games revolve around programmers (and they also happen to be the highest paid individuals in the team after the Producer). The biggest advantage of learning programming is that you get the chance to make your own games without limiting your creativity, even before you finish your graduation !

My advice ?

Go for usual computer science to learn programming, familiarize yourself with a game engine and try making some levels/mods using it and learn some creative stuff in the meantime like music or painting....this way you get to do everything. Always keep in mind that making games is hard and it requires a lot of dedication, so best of luck !

• Like 1

Hey Kunal,

Since it's a Symbiosis it should be good, though I have not recruited from there ever. I do believe that SIBM and SCMHRD are good B'Schools under Symbiosis umbrella.

I'm a Symbi grad myself , couldn't make it through both the colleges you mentioned despite of having a snap score of 103.75 (which wrt previous years is good enough) and it had to happen only when i apply :wallbash:

well i thought this college might be a underdog kindda college , less hyped high performer if you know what i mean. could you use your sources and i'm aware HR people have many, to just find out some info about this college ? any help appreciated. (matter of lacs here :( )

My advice ?

Go for usual computer science to learn programming, familiarize yourself with a game engine and try making some levels/mods using it and learn some creative stuff in the meantime like music or painting....this way you get to do everything. Always keep in mind that making games is hard and it requires a lot of dedication, so best of luck !

Just to tack onto that read ALOT. You have no idea how immensely helpful it is to read stuff that is totally unrelated to what your doing because you'll stumble onto something and then the creative process starts with using that information to your benefit. I find that working with people that are complete opposites in my thinking style usually just improve my overall final product because someone is looking at your work and going "not really where it should be right?" and that works in the creative process too. Just make sure your not taking everything negatively otherwise the interest wanes and then your going down a road which you might not enjoy.

Ok here's my 2 cents.

Game Design is an nebulous term. Sometimes the producer thinks he is the designer, when actually the programmer is the designer. The artist should be the designer, being that he has the creative talent, but nobody pays attention to the artist. You have to decide what kind of things you want to design, do you want to design the characters ? or do you want to design the levels ? or do you want to design the puzzles or the game's structure ? You have to keep in mind that developing games is not something that anyone will teach you. You are all on your own here, you have to learn yourself and practice. Programming can be taught, but the skills to make game is something that you gather from your own personal projects. Designing on the other hand is all self taught.

The easiest way to blast into the industry is to either make a kickass mod or make an indie game which goes on to become a success while you are still doing your studies. if you want to make mods then you need to familiarize yourself with a particular game engine, your best bet (right now) are the free to use UE3 UDK and Cry Engine 2 Sandbox editor. If you want to make a game then well, you need to learn programming.

Taking a graduate degree specifically in Game Design is not recommended unless you are doing it from a university like Full Sail or Digipen, whose graduates are actively sought after in the industry, in every other case a game design degree is only good for including in a portfolio. Generally speaking, its much better to graduate with a degree in programming and work as a programmer, its because a guy with a programing degree can be a designer (provided he has the creativity and imagination) but a designer cannot be a programmer. You don't need a specific degree to become a game designer since that's something which relies completely on your skills, but you do need one to become a game programmer.

The reason why I am emphasizing on programming so much is because the whole world of video games revolve around programmers (and they also happen to be the highest paid individuals in the team after the Producer). The biggest advantage of learning programming is that you get the chance to make your own games without limiting your creativity, even before you finish your graduation !

My advice ?

agree to an extent

btw I am using Unity game engine right now an we are making a game in bits & pieces from the last 4 months,

The thing is I have programming skills but not the interest,

on the other hand I know that I am hellishly creative but I hate drawing & stuff

so like a jack of all trades & master of none

DigiPenn or Art institute of Vancouver?

so if I go for a GDD degree it has to be from top notch eh?

otherwise CS then

yea but staring into her eyes can be a cause of distraction :naughty:

Talent Acquisition and Retention :bigyellowgrin:

This is going off-topic. I guess this one thread is supposed to be a serious one :|

Kaake :chair:

why all the companies have sexy beautiful chicks in the hr :devil:

IN royd street ...the gali that connects park street to Mezban ...there was a computer center(you may be knowing it) ....had a amazingly beautiful receptionist ...sometimes her smile still comes to my mind...i use to hang sometimes there in my school days....and once while there i honestly just went inside without thinking much ...I was very attracted to her......and since i got inside i just started talking abt courses and fees ....It was abt Rs 7k something......though i did not do it but may be if i had cash i may have done it just to be with her....thats what beautiful receptionist can do...they can switch off your dimag ka bati and light your dil ka phooljari and when that happens pocket---->:puspa: <-----Company( thanks to receptionist)..

kuch samjha bhai . B):P

This is just wrong.

I know I know

The problem is that I am too fickle,

I might be working on an idea & mid way I might switch to other one,

I lack focus, biggest problem is to materialize my ideas

also on side note is this good?

I've started PS

my 1st sig

rtuozt7.jpg

I know I know

The problem is that I am too fickle,

I might be working on an idea & mid way I might switch to other one,

I lack focus, biggest problem is to materialize my ideas

Dude here's something, thinking of ideas won't give you anything...sure you NEED that but you are not required to forget about everything else.

The FIRST lesson which you need to learn is that you HAVE TO HAVE TO and HAVE TO be determined...there are a thousand other guys out there who are doing what you are doing right now, ie. thinking about ideas to make an awesome game, which is to simply put....batshit crazy ! Thumb rule says that you don't learn until you fall, and to fall you have to try...and to try you have to start out with minor ideas and small projects. As a writer would tell to an aspiring writer...start off by writing crap, but atleast start. A simple idea that you manage to materialize is a hundred times better than a Grand idea with no head and tail.

You need to stand out from the crowd and show what's so special about you, and for that you need a medium and what's a better medium than art ? If you don't like drawing or creating stuff then its likely that the level which you will be making will be lacklusture in look and feel.

• Like 1

Dude here's something, thinking of ideas won't give you anything...sure you NEED that but you are not required to forget about everything else.

The FIRST lesson which you need to learn is that you HAVE TO HAVE TO and HAVE TO be determined...there are a thousand other guys out there who are doing what you are doing right now, ie. thinking about ideas to make an awesome game, which is to simply put....batshit crazy ! Thumb rule says that you don't learn until you fall, and to fall you have to try...and to try you have to start out with minor ideas and small projects. As a writer would tell to an aspiring writer...start off by writing crap, but atleast start. A simple idea that you manage to materialize is a hundred times better than a Grand idea with no head and tail.

You need to stand out from the crowd and show what's so special about you, and for that you need a medium and what's a better medium than art ? If you don't like drawing or creating stuff then its likely that the level which you will be making will be lacklusture in look and feel.

yea dude I already know that

even I pity those who think that there is a gaming company waiting for you with roses ready to make your idea into a cash minting machine,

What I stated was the problem with my core talent

like this game we are creating

I thought out the story,core mechanics & gameplay

I even wrote a gdd for it

Now I am letting my progammer pros friends handle the stuff while I am trying to draw the MC

now the thing is that i can't agree with myself

If one moment I am drawing a char on maya after a few moments I'll start over with a new one

this is one thing that irks me a lot

also on the conclusion

So I should try for Digipenn/other big uni for GDD & if I don't succeed than it's CS with side working on indie games ?

also on the conclusion

So I should try for Digipenn/other big uni for GDD & if I don't succeed than it's CS with side working on indie games ?

Try Digipen, though Fullsail is better for designing but you also have to work twice as hard there and on an average only about 30-40% of the class is able to pass the exams most of the time....and its a lot more costlier. The main reason why these two unis are preferable/popular is cause of their campus placement. There is no other university to consider if you are talking about designing....no matter how good they are you will be struggling to land a job cause you'll be struck with a single and niche degree like game designing.

For Computer Science I'll suggest you to opt for a foreign university, cause to be frank the teaching and course in India (Computer Engineering) is not really suited for games.

Edited by praveer

For Computer Science I'll suggest you to opt for a foreign university, cause to be frank the teaching and course in India (Computer Engineering) is not really suited for games.

Any suggestion for any uni outside Ivy Leauge?

for CS

@ Vip3R: Congratulations Dude.. I am so happy for you.. Now have fun and make a very happening career out there.. :cheers:

@ Kunal: I will check and get back to you. Though initial feedback on the college is positive

@ Obaid Bhai: If a guy is Hired on low pay and/or Fired with no pay by a young, beautiful woman it makes it easier for him to live with that pain.. isn't it? As for how I look.. Let's just say, wherever I 've worked, the Attrition has gone down to an all time low.. :hypocrite:

• Like 1

@ Obaid Bhai: If a guy is Hired on low pay and/or Fired with no pay by a young, beautiful woman it makes it easier for him to live with that pain.. isn't it? As for how I look.. Let's just say, wherever I 've worked, the Attrition has gone down to an all time low.. :hypocrite:

yea right,i believ it ..megz behen :rolleyes: