The Careers Thread

MarketTantrik

You can join Cisco the company easily if your base is in networking.

Provided his other two options, considering the future, this is the best option.

Also, You can join any major firm which has a substantial IT base, including Apple. The other two options don't give him that.

Cisco networking sounds even worse. It sounds like it deals with providing support/setting up Cisco devices like video conference equipments etc. Not sure if there is any growth in that.

Not exactly setting up video conferencing facilities. This "Networking" will deal more with setting up the entire LAN networks for organizations, maintaining cloud services etc.

2) Now that I atleast need to join TCS to start my career they have given me the option to choose my technical streamfor training (there is a 3 months training before joining). There are 3 technical streams available, now I have absolutely no idea about any of these fields so I really really need you guys to help me. In tems of pure growth what would be better between these
  1. Windows 2008/2012
  2. Red Hat Linux
  3. CISCO Networking

Which one should I choose? From the searches i did on google I am getting a bit contradicting views, saying There is more money in Windows, but it is a narrow and shrinking field.There is more growth and diversity and Linux, and it is spreading. There is less money up front, but more potential in the long run. And absolutly no one supporting CISCO Networking

What do you guys say?

Business Server's mostly run on Linux or UNIX ...

Windows Server's will also be there in the client stack for Mail, Sharepoint,SQL Server and other Microsoft related services ...

Networking on the other hand you will be handling the networking infrastructure of the company Switches, NAS, etc.

# Switching Job - Linux is easier

# Ease of Understanding and Work - Windows is easier [Microsft Cloud Service is a hit nowadays and many small/mid level clients are moving towards it, it will result in reduced jobs in long run]

# If you can complete higher certifications and excel in that , CISCO is better ...

Linux will be a safe bet, but you might end on a simple project and you might not learn anything. It is hard to suggest you one because your learning curve will depend on the Client you will be supporting and the roles that are being assigned to you. You will be able to find new jobs after 2+ yrs of exp.

These jobs will mostly have Shifts and you might have to work on weekends too. Allowances will be paid for both in most companies.

If you need exact idea on how things work in TCS you have to find someone who already works there. Try using Linkedin or FB Pages and see if you can find any or what about your senior's who have joined in TCS. You can find out the details from them ...

Edited by 0ptimus
  • Like 1

Cisco networking sounds even worse. It sounds like it deals with providing support/setting up Cisco devices like video conference equipments etc. Not sure if there is any growth in that.

lulwut [emoji38]

So people spend hundreds of dollars and complete ccna and ccnp certifications coz they want to setup vc facilities in meeting rooms ? At least Google up before you give such advice !

Linux is the future "IMO", if someone wants to get into network maintenance/adminstration ! This is purely speculation on my part , but i feel there is going to be huge demand for cloud infrastructure and related services in India for the ongoing e commerce boom.... and most startups prefer to have open source stacks like LAMP than conventional windows based solutions.... anyway it's always better to talk to sometime who's working in the industry and get a first hand knowledge of ground reality before choosing either of the three !

i_rock098

I didn't meant to discourage you buddy. I'm talking with my interaction with ITIS people in TCS.

@Gramps

Do you know of anyone established in TCS or an equivalent company, who is in the field? Or anyone else here (not just Gramps) for that matter?

It could be the biggest help for irock right now.

I'd been trying to source someone to fix a networking nightmare for my project....which never happened.

Someone like that didn't seem to exist in the organisation. The people I got to meet were either plain dumbos or were not even interested because no one got credited for their effort anyway. This is so bad because once people lose visibility (and this happens so often in TCS in roles that are swinging within the organisational needs), the motivation drops and sh*t goes down the spiral. I've seen people lamenting that they don't even feel like engineers any more. Sad, to be honest.

I know a few people. PM me. What do you need?

I gave my campus interview almost a year back and at that time I really had no idea what these different streams were. I agree I made a huge mistake. I will try talking to HR and see if that helps.

Thank you so much for your words, I can’t tell you how much more relaxed I feel now. Honestly I am like getting nightmare since 2 weeks like I made the worst career choice of my life. I was beginning to feel that my career is about to take a nose dive just because of one choice. I read up a lot on quora and every question i read related to ITIS made me even more depressed.

I understand mate you are only trying to help me, infact I thank you that you put it straight and I could see the reality of things in the IT industry. In a large organization it is very difficult to get noticed but I will try me best to.

Like I have said earlier technology side is really not my interest, as soon as I get the chance I want to jump ship into managerial side. So related to that I have two further questions.

1) I was surfing around in naukri.com and I came across something like business analyst in IT on reading the job description I was like yes this is exactly what I mean by I want to stay in the IT industry but on the business side of things. Infact I checked the requirements all the postings require BE/Btech engineers with 2 years experience. So the question is can I switch to a Business Analyst/Product Manager after working 2-3 years?

2) Now that I atleast need to join TCS to start my career they have given me the option to choose my technical streamfor training (there is a 3 months training before joining). There are 3 technical streams available, now I have absolutely no idea about any of these fields so I really really need you guys to help me. In tems of pure growth what would be better between these

1. Windows 2008/2012
  2. Red Hat Linux
  3. CISCO Networking

Which one should I choose? From the searches i did on google I am getting a bit contradicting views, saying There is more money in Windows, but it is a narrow and shrinking field.There is more growth and diversity and Linux, and it is spreading. There is less money up front, but more potential in the long run. And absolutly no one supporting CISCO Networking

What do you guys say?

CISCO Networking > Linux > Windows. But it depends on the work the org does. Networking - always good because of the reasons I mentioned earlier. Unix is still at the backbone of networking systems.

Oh - and please don't become a BA yet. Also, BA not necessarily managerial. I work with quite a few BAs and rarely find a good one.

Couldn't clear CA Exams in the 5th attempt, sucks to do CA, lost a complete year for 7marks. No job as of now and have to study the same books again.Avoid CA like plague unless you are willing to sacrifice everything else in life even after which success will not be guranteed. :samui:

:console: I can understand your pain. But don't give up.

There are firms where you can work without finishing CA finals. I sort of took everything together - graduation + CA + MBA. Finished CA after MBA.

@irock : I'd go with Linux or CISCO Networking, in that order of preference. Linux is everywhere, and will continue to be. FFS, I am no longer in a 'hands-on' role, but my prior experience in Linux (Unix, actually) has come in handy in plenty of situations recently.

Also, certifications are supposed to come in handy but I personally don't see the point (have never encountered a situation where certifications would've helped me). It's like saying everyone who has a BE/BTech is an 'engineer'.

Couldn't clear CA Exams in the 5th attempt, sucks to do CA, lost a complete year for 7marks. No job as of now and have to study the same books again.Avoid CA like plague unless you are willing to sacrifice everything else in life even after which success will not be guranteed. :samui:

feel sorry for u man,dont loose heart u can easily get jobs with accounting background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyss i want to know whats the difference between btech CSE and btech IT in term of subjects , exposure to programming and the value of each . Just took admission in btech IT at Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute Of Technology (affilated with IP univetsity).

Also can i puruse MS IN CSE after pursuing Btech in IT

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Edited by gs_RoXxX

From my experience in TCS, a Business Analyst might be slightly different from what you're expecting. Its not exactly a managerial role. We have BA's in my project and their job, primarily, is to act as a sort of an interface between the Clients and us (tech people). They are required to have 'business knowledge' on the application and are the first point of contact for the clients in case of any issues/queries (its a maintenace/support project). And yes, it is indeed possible for a techincal resource to switch to such a role if he/she manages to gather enough business knowledge and, more importantly, the client is okay with with it. :)

Having said that, this is just one project I'm talking about. The job description may vary from place to place.

Ah that’s fine, I would love to work as that role. Infact if I am correct to get a good managerial position I would need at least 6-7 years of experience, till that I would much rather work as a BA then a technical guy because that is where my interest lies.

Also as a former TCS employee how was your experience dealing with the RMG and HR, are they considerate towards someone who wants to change field like that.

I have never worked in ITIS, but from what I know, they deal with providing Infra services to the IT departments. I must tell you very very less companies use Linux systems as development platforms. They are mostly servers. Windows platform is used by almost 90% folks for development and also servers. Cisco instruments are mostly used for conference calls etc. This is the only information I have. Not sure how it works. Also, don't get discouraged, if you are good, you can make any field work for you. Just be sincere in what you do. But do check with HR regarding domain change. Even after 1-2 years, its fine. You always learn something new in IT, and you should always try to diversify (not an advice I give to everyone, but getting out of ITIS is a good idea)

Also, try to learn as much as you can.

TBQH, managerial side sucks. I am about to become a manager next year or so (currently already managing an offshore team of 8 people), but the job sucks. I rather remain a technical guy forever. These big companies have just too much sh*t going on which managers have to take care, like audits, internal quality tools, metrics management etc, there is just too much BS to deal with. Also, as quixote said above, a BA is someone who is a functional guy, someone who has functional knowledge and can act as a liaison between technical team and clients (users) and create business requirement documents etc or provide consulting. Honestly, I find that role boring because you don't have access to coding tools (which I cant do without) Now to become a BA from a fresher, you need to learn the functional side of the client business (if banking client then learn Retail Banking, for Insurance clients learn how Insurance works, for ERPs learn the functionality) Once you get good, you can claim or start asking for BA roles (in same company or while switching)

Another way is to do MBA and then join back as BA in IT. (I would not recommend this, as my batchmates who did this, are now working under me at much lesser salary :lol: ) Do it only from a very reputed institute i.e. not below IIMs.

Also, ALWAYS make your aim to go to Onsite when in IT Industry. You make shitload of money for doing the same work at offshore. For example, you get $60K+ minimum when at onsite. Taxes and expenses aside, you can easily save around 1 lac per month unless you visit pubs and strip clubs every weekend :lol:

The thing is management is my passion. My father is GM(HR) in a PSU, he has always been my role model. Ever since I passed high school I wanted to be like him, do something in HR, thought of perusing a BBA but due to various reasons I ended up doing Engineering in Computer Science instead (partly due to the lure of high salary in the IT field). This passion of management is still inside me even after completing the engineering. So much so that last month I even gave a couple of interviews of the position of hr recruiter and even got selected in them. But I did not join because the salary on offer was 1.7l pa that is like peanuts in a city like Mumbai. Almost 50% less then what TCS is offering me. So you can understand how much I want to get into a more managerial role.

The thing with MBA is that I really suck at entrance exams, In fact I got very very bad scores in all the Engineering entrance exams I gave, according to my entrance scores I should not have got admission in Engineering in a d grade college, however with some twisting I managed to get into a decent engineering college. Compared to the entrance exam the course itself was a breeze form me, I got almost full marks in internals and term work every semester all due to my speaking skills and persuasion skill :P

And the competition in MBA entrance exams is 10 times more, I might get selected in an average college and end up as your friends. I really don’t want that.

TCS as a company is a huge opportunity bowl. You should get in. I am or was a Mechanical Engineer in TCS (Got relieved a couple of days ago). Read: A proper Mechanical Engineer.

I started out as a Mainframe developer, and really felt my base is in Mech. Eng. and pushed for it and got what I wanted to a 30-40% satisfaction level (I'm not easily satisfied :/ ). The organisation is full of opportunities...just realise what you are really after and keep an open mind frame. These are cliche'd suggestions, but still work. Adapting and growing is key. Close mindedness will make life difficult.

Yup I am having a very open mind about it that’s why even after hearing the lack of growth in support role I am thinking of joining it to branch out to a role I would like. Getting actual work experience of working in an organization would be immense to me no matter what I do even if it is a low key support job.

Also since you are also a former employee of TCS may I ask the same question of how was your experience dealing with the RMG and HR, are they considerate towards someone who wants to change fields.

Out of the three, the first two are purely for server maintenance. Will be more of support etc.

I would recommend Networking. Lots of opportunities.

You can join Cisco the company easily if your base is in networking.

Provided his other two options, considering the future, this is the best option.

Also, You can join any major firm which has a substantial IT base, including Apple. The other two options don't give him that.

I have heard that truly excel in the network side one needs lots of certifications compared to server side, is that true?

The thing is I really don’t want to do any certifications and get more and more into technical side, in fact like I said earlier I want to move over to a BA role or something semi technical with the ultimate and sole aim of moving to managerial position. With that in mind what would you say I go for.

Business Server's mostly run on Linux or UNIX ...

Windows Server's will also be there in the client stack for Mail, Sharepoint,SQL Server and other Microsoft related services ...

Networking on the other hand you will be handling the networking infrastructure of the company Switches, NAS, etc.

# Switching Job - Linux is easier

# Ease of Understanding and Work - Windows is easier [Microsft Cloud Service is a hit nowadays and many small/mid level clients are moving towards it, it will result in reduced jobs in long run]

# If you can complete higher certifications and excel in that , CISCO is better ...

Linux will be a safe bet, but you might end on a simple project and you might not learn anything. It is hard to suggest you one because your learning curve will depend on the Client you will be supporting and the roles that are being assigned to you. You will be able to find new jobs after 2+ yrs of exp.

These jobs will mostly have Shifts and you might have to work on weekends too. Allowances will be paid for both in most companies.

If you need exact idea on how things work in TCS you have to find someone who already works there. Try using Linkedin or FB Pages and see if you can find any or what about your senior's who have joined in TCS. You can find out the details from them ...

Shift is the absolute worst part of support, in fact I don’t think I would be able to even do a night shift given my health is not currently at its best. Also will start hunting around on facebook to find someone who works in TCS to get his/her opinion.

lulwut [emoji38]

So people spend hundreds of dollars and complete ccna and ccnp certifications coz they want to setup vc facilities in meeting rooms ? At least Google up before you give such advice !

Linux is the future "IMO", if someone wants to get into network maintenance/adminstration ! This is purely speculation on my part , but i feel there is going to be huge demand for cloud infrastructure and related services in India for the ongoing e commerce boom.... and most startups prefer to have open source stacks like LAMP than conventional windows based solutions.... anyway it's always better to talk to sometime who's working in the industry and get a first hand knowledge of ground reality before choosing either of the three !

Choosing a stream out of these 3 is turning out to be a herculean task for me especially since I am at a total blank state on all of the 3. (Have a basic idea of networking and iso/osi layers and routing but I am presuming that CISCO Networking would be much much harder.)

I know a few people. PM me. What do you need?

CISCO Networking > Linux > Windows. But it depends on the work the org does. Networking - always good because of the reasons I mentioned earlier. Unix is still at the backbone of networking systems.

Oh - and please don't become a BA yet. Also, BA not necessarily managerial. I work with quite a few BAs and rarely find a good one.

From what you said earlier Networking does seem good like the better option among the 3 but like I mentioned earlier in this post I have heard a bit rumors that to truly excel in networking I would need to do lots of certifications compared to the servers which don’t require them much. I really don’t want to do any certifications.

@irock : I'd go with Linux or CISCO Networking, in that order of preference. Linux is everywhere, and will continue to be. FFS, I am no longer in a 'hands-on' role, but my prior experience in Linux (Unix, actually) has come in handy in plenty of situations recently.

Also, certifications are supposed to come in handy but I personally don't see the point (have never encountered a situation where certifications would've helped me). It's like saying everyone who has a BE/BTech is an 'engineer'.

Is it difficult to get into Linux server considering that there is no GUI and for everything you have to use commands and scripts. Also I would have absolutely no idea of Linux and would be learning something totally new, in fact Linux was not even part of the syllabus in any of the semesters.

Also as a former TCS employee how was your experience dealing with the RMG and HR, are they considerate towards someone who wants to change field like that.

I'm still in TCS :P(should've been clearer in my posts :fear:). Been about 2.8 years now, joined as a fresher like you.

As for your query, till date I haven't had to deal with HR personally apart from a few minor matters.

But, I did have the pleasure of reporting to RMG for a month after ILP. All I can say is that one month made me realize why they are the most hated group in the company.

While I don't have any personal experience in the matter, from what I've 'heard' changing field as a fresher will be tough. Also, when I joined, came across a lot of people complaining about being put into IT even though they wanted, and were promised, ITIS. So, in a way, you got lucky in getting what you wanted.

I'd advise you not to worry about it so much and stick to ITIS since that is what you wanted in the first place. As many people have already mentioned here, if you can prove your mettle you'll shine regardless of chosen stream.

Edited by quixote_1989

Guyss i want to know whats the difference between btech CSE and btech IT in term of subjects , exposure to programming and the value of each . Just took admission in btech IT at Guru Tegh Bahadur Institute Of Technology (affilated with IP univetsity).

Also can i puruse MS IN CSE after pursuing Btech in IT

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Simple put IT focus on things that you do in IT jobs. Programming, Software Engineering, Databases etc.

CSE is more intense usually, it will have theoretical subjects like artificial intelligence, computer architecture, discrete maths etc. But in general most people wont learn these topics in depth as they are quite hard and usually not required for getting jobs.

Don't worry about certifications. Concentrate on learning and knowledge. No one studies for certifications, but everyone clears them by reading dumps. I have done certifications for tools that I have used barely, just by reading dumps. Just relax about technical certifications.